April 1 Fishing Regs-sell your Boats!!

Really not surprised one bit. The fact that dfo couldn't get there sh*t together in the last how many months to put out a set of regulations by now is just stunning. Theses are interm restrictions, i guess just continuing the bs closure of last year was easier than actually doing work and making new regulations. I didn't expect any better regs this year but at least expected them to put them out for april-july by now and they couldnt even do that. Trying to not get into the politics here but the incompetence here is mind boggling, wtf are these public servants doing since they can't do their job?
Ultimately the top ranks report to Gov and tow the Gov line. We saw that with the previous party supporting fish farms - ignoring the Cohen report and burying science - DFO was put in an impossible position being forced to support both sides when science did not support it.

I would say that they are trying to be cautious- and that their goal is to protect / enhance. I may not like the measures, but I appreciate the intent behind them. I'd rather have less now and more later than fight over left overs.

What I dont want to see is rec fishers denied opportunities to allow for in river mortality.

Really not surprised one bit. The fact that dfo couldn't get there sh*t together in the last how many months to put out a set of regulations by now is just stunning. Theses are interm restrictions, i guess just continuing the bs closure of last year was easier than actually doing work and making new regulations. I didn't expect any better regs this year but at least expected them to put them out for april-july by now and they couldnt even do that. Trying to not get into the politics here but the incompetence here is mind boggling, wtf are these public servants doing since they can't do their job?
I’m starting to think it’s deliberate. What could be better for DFO than if we have a sport fishery same as east coast.

I'd rather have less now and more later than fight over left overs.

why would we fight for left overs when hatcherys supply most of what we catch.?

to rebuild the remaining wild stocks actually requires a rebuilding plan of which dfo has yet to produce.

also you need to remeber that the later July/August closers are not for conservation but to pass thousands of Fraser 4.1 To First Nations to harvest.

As for early Fraser stocks they are so far past the point of return you could spend the next 30 years with complete closures of all fisheries and it would not make that big of difference let alone the 5% the rec sector take.

So is any of what they're saying in the letter supported by the actual numbers? If so I do think they make a good case. Not that I agree with it but it's a good argument.

This **** started long before the libs were In power. Wasn’t it Harper and the conservatives that started muzzling the scientists? Now It’s every party. You and me don’t matter. It’s all about how much and how fast they can line their pockets.

I thought Harper was a bad thing as he was dismantling the DFO. Looking back now, its time for it to go. Very antiquated...The last 5 years has been dividing the country into social segments and making everyone over opinionated.

We all saw the destruction last year of First Nation nets being filled with Sturgeon bycatch as they pulled hundreds of salmon from the rivers per set. We all need to work together. If nets are OK still, so should 1 or 2 hatchery fish caught under a sport license during prime season. I'm lost with this management and lack of understanding from government.

And what good is that science doing us please tell me. They are using that science against us. Did it ever clue in to any of you that maybe Harpers people saw this coming, did it ever dawn on you guys that they saw the writing on the wall. Damn I’m sure glad Trudeau increased the scientists and their budget cause it’s sure cleared a lot of stuff up for us, sure putting fish in the water, it’s sure helping out all those businesses in the coast,

They care more about a couple damn whales than they do about human beings and their lives and livelihoods. Those whales have more political clout than we do. Thousands of businesses and thousands of people depend on that fishery and with a swipe of an idiot scientists pen it’s all gone. Well done gentlemen well done.
487345-f6e8a2a944a543ae91002daba16b02a3.gif

I’m starting to think it’s deliberate. What could be better for DFO than if we have a sport fishery same as east coast.
Yes, it will eventually reduce DFO’s responsibility by one whole user group. Eventually the 300K fishers will disappear and all that’s left to manage will be a handful of commercial fishers. The third group will of course manage itself.

I thought Harper was a bad thing as he was dismantling the DFO. Looking back now, its time for it to go. Very antiquated...The last 5 years has been dividing the country into social segments and making everyone over opinionated.

We all saw the destruction last year of First Nation nets being filled with Sturgeon bycatch as they pulled hundreds of salmon from the rivers per set. We all need to work together. If nets are OK still, so should 1 or 2 hatchery fish caught under a sport license during prime season. I'm lost with this management and lack of understanding from government.
No argument form me on DFO needing to go.

So whats the SFAB response to these points? I'll just continue to bite my tongue these days.

When I printed my 2021 license last week I think I saw 30 little boxes under “chinook” salmon. Not 10 like last year. What’s that about?

So whats the SFAB response to these points? I'll just continue to bite my tongue these days.
I don't mean it in a argumentative way. I'm actually trying to understand this better. I'd appreciate any insight you can provide. Like I said in the post before that, the letter brings up some seemingly solid points. I'd like to understand what our side of that story is. I'm guilty of being lazy and following our groups science blindly myself. I'm trying to be better at looking at both sides these days. And again always appreciate the hard work everyone involved does for us.

I wasn't taking your question as being argumentative at all. I don't want to share my opinion right now...those who know me already know. Will just sit on the sidelines for now and watch.

I wasn't taking your question as being argumentative at all. I don't want to share my opinion right now...those who know me already know. Will just sit on the sidelines for now and watch.
Gotcha, thanks.

I don't mean it in a argumentative way. I'm actually trying to understand this better. I'd appreciate any insight you can provide. Like I said in the post before that, the letter brings up some seemingly solid points. I'd like to understand what our side of that story is. I'm guilty of being lazy and following our groups science blindly myself. I'm trying to be better at looking at both sides these days. And again always appreciate the hard work everyone involved does for us.

This forum is public, and monitored by same groups that wrote that letter. No one is going to come on here and broadcast publicly what responses are to any of the groups.

I appreciate you believe what is said in letter, but this is lot greater than what that letter says.

As for rest of it we have all known that April 1st the department was going to do this first. It was discussed at lengths at most of the SFAC groups ( which are open to public and all online) for each area in fall and spring sessions. It comes as no surprise.

Lets just hope this minister doesn't delay too long after the April 9th IFMP deadline for feedback.

Last edited:
I have seen lots of boats for sale on fb marketplace the last 24h. Its good to see nobodys making hasty decisions :rolleyes:

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0349-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Chinook - Areas 11 to 28, 29, 111, 121 to 127 - Chinook Management Measures - Effective April 1, 2021 - Amendment to FN0345

This is an amendment to FN0345 to clarify the measures in 19-1 and 19-2. The revised notice is as follows.

To address conservation concerns for at-risk Fraser River Chinook stocks, DFO is continuing precautionary reductions in commercial, recreational and First Nations’ fisheries to support conservation of these stocks. This Fishery Notice provides the interim recreational fishery management measures to provide protection to at-risk Fraser River Chinook stocks in Areas 11 to 28, 29, 121 to 127. The plan is to start the 2021 fishing season (beginning April 1, 2021) with measures in place at the beginning of last season, until further notice. As these are interim measures, a further announcement on possible revised management actions will be announced in a subsequent fishery notice.

The management measures for Fraser Chinook are outlined below.

Southern BC Recreational Fisheries:

West Coast Vancouver Island (WCVI) Subareas 20-1 and 20-2, Area 121, as well as Areas 123 to 127 seaward of a Boundary Line located approximately one (1) nautical mile from the surfline:

00:01 hours April 1, 2021 until further notice, Chinook non-retention.

For the full definition of the Boundary Line in Areas 123 to 127, please see the bottom of this fishery notice. Chinook daily limits remain at two (2) per day shoreward of this boundary line.

Queen Charlotte and Johnstone Straits (Subareas 12-1 to 12-13, 12-15 to 12-48):

Strait of Georgia - North - Areas 13 to 17, Area 28, and Subareas 29-1 and 29-2 (excluding those portions listed as closed below):

00:01 hours April 1, 2021 until further notice, Chinook non-retention;

Strait of Georgia - South and Juan de Fuca - Area 18, Subareas 19-1, 19-3 to 19-12, 20-3 to 20-7, and Subareas 29-3 to 29-5 and 29-8 (excluding those portions listed as closed below):

Reminder: Subarea 19-2 (Esquimalt Harbour) is closed to all fishing activity.

Portions of Southern Strait of Georgia, Howe Sound and Burrard Inlet – Subareas 28-7 to 28-9; Subarea 28-1, and that portion of Subarea 28-2 that lies southerly of a line drawn due east from Halkett Point on Gambier Island (49 26.735’N, 123 19.302’W) to a point (49 26.550’N, 123 14.317’W) on the mainland corresponding with the southeast point of the Lions Bay RCA; and those portions of 29-3 to 29-5 that lie east of a line from Gower Point (49 23.021’N, 123 32.166’ W) near Gibsons to Shah Point on the southern tip of Valdes Island (49 01.695’N, 123 35.721’W):

April 1, 2021 until further notice: No fishing for Chinook;

Approaches to Fraser River - Subareas 29-6, 29-7, 29-9 to 29-17 and the non-tidal waters of the Fraser River from Mission Bridge to the confluence with Sawmill Creek:

January 1 to November 1: No fishing for salmon (Note: Fishing opportunities for specific salmon stocks may be considered at a later date)

For clarity, Chinook retention is permitted in Areas 11, 21 to 27, 111, Subarea 12-14, and those portions of Areas 123 to 127 shoreward of a Boundary Line located approximately one (1) nautical mile seaward of the surfline.

Definition: Boundary Line for Areas 123 to 127

The Boundary Line is approximately one (1) nautical mile seaward of the surfline and is defined as follows:

A line that begins at Pacheena Point lighthouse at 48 degrees 43.327' N 125
degrees 05.855' W
then to 48 degrees 42.456' N 125 degrees 06.583' W seaward of Pachena Point,
then to 48 degrees 46.420' N 125 degrees 13.997' W seaward of Cape Beale,
then to 48 degrees 54.572' N 125 degrees 33.622' W seaward of Amphitrite Point,
then to 49 degrees 05.100' N 125 degrees 54.646' W seaward of Cox Point,
then to 49 degrees 10.280' N 126 degrees 04.790' W seaward of Blunden Island,
then to 49 degrees 16.472' N 126 degrees 15.140' W seaward of Rafael Point,
then to 49 degrees 20.008' N 126 degrees 17.188' W seaward of Sydney Inlet,
then to 49 degrees 23.807' N 126 degrees 24.483' W seaward of Hesquiat Point,
then to 49 degrees 21.620' N 126 degrees 28.478' W seaward of Matlahaw Point,
then to 49 degrees 22.113' N 126 degrees 33.508' W seaward of Estevan Point,
then to 49 degrees 23.869' N 126 degrees 35.333' W seaward of Homais Cove,
then to 49 degrees 27.766' N 126 degrees 35.971' W seaward of Split Cape,
then to 49 degrees 31.494' N 126 degrees 35.669' W seaward of Escalante Point,
then to 49 degrees 34.042' N 126 degrees 41.611' W seaward of Maquinna Point,
then to 49 degrees 36.254' N 126 degrees 50.538' W seaward of Bajo Point,
then to 49 degrees 39.892' N 126 degrees 55.125' W seaward of Skuna Bay,
then to 49 degrees 44.400' N 127 degrees 00.289' W seaward of Ferrer Point,
then to 49 degrees 50.767' N 127 degrees 10.151' W seaward of Tatchu Point,
then to 49 degrees 59.142' N 127 degrees 28.125' W seaward of Lookout Island,
then to 50 degrees 06.948' N 127 degrees 41.617' W seaward of Jackobson Point,
then to 50 degrees 03.599' N 127 degrees 47.722' W seaward of Clerke Point,
then to 50 degrees 05.868' N 127 degrees 57.906' W seaward of Solander Island,
then to 50 degrees 19.284' N 128 degrees 00.130' W seaward of Lawn Point,
then to 50 degrees 31.501' N 128 degrees 14.238' W seaward of Topknot Point,
then to 50 degrees 35.683' N 128 degrees 19.249' W seaward of Cape Palmerston,
then to 50 degrees 39.280' N 128 degrees 23.459' W seaward of Winifred Island,
then to 50 degrees 41.116' N 128 degrees 24.166' W seaward of Cape Russell,
then to 50 degrees 44.137' N 128 degrees 26.559' W seaward of Strange Rock,
then to 50 degrees 47.926' N 128 degrees 27.363' W seaward of Cape Scott,
then to Frederiksen Point.

FOR MORE INFORMATION: Contact the nearest Fisheries and Oceans Canada office or visit our website at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0349
Sent March 30, 2021 at 13:00
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

If you would like to unsubscribe, please submit your request at: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=manage_subscription

If you have any questions, please contact us via e-mail to: DFO.OpsCentreFisheryPacific-CentreOpsPechePacifique.MPO@canada.ca

Back