April 1 Fishing Regs-sell your Boats!!

do you have any insight as to what happens past july 15?

Pretty much what SV said tho i think there may of been somethings that the SFAB ask for in the IFMP. Tho this is probably an indication of how thoes things will go.

Everywhere got screwed not just one.
That's true to a degree recently but 19/20 has been taking it for years while many other areas have done comparatively well. My impression is that is still somewhat the case for some ocean areas although noticeably less so than it once was. I guess when it got down to having almost nothing left to cut in 19/20, that it was inevitable that other areas on the coast would get hit more. Our six-month summer Chinook season has been shortened every year or few years to the point where it is now down to what is essentially 5 weeks starting Aug 1st. and that is with a nasty slot size which we have also dealt with for years, - can't keep the big Chinook. No one here is taking pleasure in other areas also being hit more now, we understand your pain as we have dealt with it for a decade.

The whole process is a joke , are we really surprised the same process was going to get us any where different??

I think there was a level of optimism from SFAB members about the proposal given the support the proposal had from lower level DFO. My guess is tho as part of the package delivered to the minister was all the feedback from first nations that clearly pointed a finger at the rec sector saying keep it closed. like I said earlier in this thread areas 17,18,19,20,28,29 were always going to be hard to open because of political/reconciliation/fsc/First Nation issues.

I really expected tho that the WCVI hatchery fishery would get approved given the high mark rate and its distance from the fraser. My guess tho is they did not open it tho for Five nation fishery reasons. Only a guess tho

I think there was a level of optimism from SFAB members about the proposal given the support the proposal had from lower level DFO. My guess is tho as part of the package delivered to the minister was all the feedback from first nations that clearly pointed a finger at the rec sector saying keep it closed. like I said earlier in this thread areas 17,18,19,20,28,29 were always going to be hard to open because of political/reconciliation/fsc/First Nation issues.

I really expected tho that the WCVI hatchery fishery would get approved given the high mark rate and its distance from the fraser. My guess tho is they did not open it tho for Five nation fishery reasons. Only a guess tho
Classic Friday afternoon news release. It means that they know there will be blow back on this decision. Too late to change it this year. Start planning for next.

Maybe the SFAB should be submitting it’s motions for approval to First Nations instead of DFO
Or maybe we should all have realistic expectations from an advisory body and don’t hang our hats off of them. After all, the current relationship model between SFAB and DFO has remained in an advisory capacity. In practice, the decision making body (DFO) has proved not to worry too much about the concerns of the rec sector. FNs wants are fully backed up by the court ruling. We’re nowhere near that. Keyboard heroes piping their frustrations in emails to the minister has ZERO VALUE in this complex political maze. You keep repeating the same process and expect a different outcome?? The stakeholder landscape has changed under the liberal government. How much have we been able to adapt and act smartly?

Charles Darwin: “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, it is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”

Well no surprises here. We’re changing our plans to stay local. Even if covid restrictions come off, our tourist dollars won’t be spent on the island this year.

Or maybe we should all have realistic expectations from an advisory body and don’t hang our hats off of them. After all, the current relationship model between SFAB and DFO has remained in an advisory capacity. In practice, the decision making body (DFO) has proved not to worry too much about the concerns of the rec sector. FNs wants are fully backed up by the court ruling. We’re nowhere near that. Keyboard heroes piping their frustrations in emails to the minister has ZERO VALUE in this complex political maze. You keep repeating the same process and expect a different outcome?? The stakeholder landscape has changed under the liberal government. How much have we been able to adapt and act smartly?

Charles Darwin: “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, it is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”
Well said. We repeat the same process of disagreeing with the regs, via email, phone calls, blogs, etc and the occasional protest and we keep getting the same result - Nothing - not even a small portion of what we want. What we have done and continue to do has no impact or influence on the decision makers whatsoever. Zero. Nothing. Zilch. Zip. Nada. Don't fool yourself into thinking that anybody other than us cares about our concerns. They don't!! We won't win against the whale lovers and seal lovers, even though their concerns are misguided. As long as that status continues, and other lobby groups have more power and influence than we do, nothing will change for the better for us. I do thank all the people that have worked very very hard on our behalf though. Today must be an incredibly frustrating day for them. Thank you for all the work you did. You tried.

No surprise. While I appreciate the optimism from some on here I hope we can at least all now agree this government does not listen to any data or science that’s been collected. These are strictly political decisions ment to appease certain groups. At a time when west coast businesses need a life line the most, we are thrown a cinder block to hopefully drown any fishing related business or ancillary businesses for good. I’ve always said the government doesn’t even recognize what the sport fishing sector brings into the economy and this proves it. I’m sure there will be full nets in the Fraser tho so that’s good :mad:

I feel for the guys who worked so hard on our behalf and thought reason, common sense and science would trump the ENGO fund raisers Faux science and emotion.

I’m also concerned that these minimal openings are part of the Departments divide and conquer policy. Also look how they strung the decision out, no doubt they knew what the answer was going to be but simply strung us along, oldest tricks in the book!

Where do we sign on the dotted line to join a "hard done by" "minority" group so certain rules don't apply to us?

Its pretty sad in this day and age that all we can do is sit back and watch our fisheries rights and freedoms taken away by the select few, but like others have posted no matter how hard we push or force the issue nothing will change. Back east only cares about back east they don't care about anything past Quebec just like @Fishin Ambition stated, Its easy for them to deny change and states statistical science garble over actual facts! At the end of the day were just another stat on the government books, that gets over looked with glazed eyes for something more "important".

I feel for the guys who worked so hard on our behalf and thought reason, common sense and science would trump the ENGO fund raisers Faux science and emotion.

I’m also concerned that these minimal openings are part of the Departments divide and conquer policy. Also look how they strung the decision out, no doubt they knew what the answer was going to be but simply strung us along, oldest tricks in the book!
Yes, those people worked hard but it was clear, has been for years, that such work was in vain and a waste of time and energy. Many saw this coming years ago, warned that this advisory system was broken and a waste. These people on the SFAB committees should have thrown the towel into DFO's face a long time ago either demanding a serious process or stop pretending to consult. They played nicely along year after year, wasted years of theirs and their constituent's time, getting shafted year after year for all their belief and effort! Ridiculed year after year and still bowing their head before the almighty DFO. Wow. If that's not spineless, shameful and embarrassing then I don't know what. Quit this silly game already.

Yes, those people worked hard but it was clear, has been for years, that such work was in vain and a waste of time and energy. Many saw this coming years ago, warned that this advisory system was broken and a waste. These people on the SFAB committees should have thrown the towel into DFO's face a long time ago either demanding a serious process or stop pretending to consult. They played nicely along year after year, wasted years of theirs and their constituent's time, getting shafted year after year for all their belief and effort! Ridiculed year after year and still bowing their head before the almighty DFO. Wow. If that's not spineless, shameful and embarrassing then I don't know what. Quit this silly game already.
time for an uprising. We are being oppressed. Singled out and targeted time after time after time.

Back