Anyone fish off of sandheads frequently?

R

RobTufnail

this summer im planning on crossing the strait to fish off sandheads and was wondering if anyone could keep me updated on when fish start showing up?
after the sockeye last year i cant wait to get back at it:)

quote:Originally posted by RobTufnail

this summer im planning on crossing the strait to fish off sandheads and was wondering if anyone could keep me updated on when fish start showing up?
after the sockeye last year i cant wait to get back at it:)

If I were you I'd work Active and Porlier----tons of big fish to be caught there. By the time the Socks come....your freezer should be full.

Tons of big fish at Porlier ?........ wow after fishing these waters for over 40 years and watching the decline of the springs and coho in this area , I would really like to know Mr Fishing Magician where all these fish can be caught around that area and on the inside.
Pray enlighten me !

AL

quote:Originally posted by alley cat

Tons of big fish at Porlier ?........ wow after fishing these waters for over 40 years and watching the decline of the springs and coho in this area , I would really like to know Mr Fishing Magician where all these fish can be caught around that area and on the inside.
Pray enlighten me !

AL

If you went to Porlier or Active, on a given day for good sized springs, I should expect that you would outfish someone who had to fish over at Sandheads---in June anyways. In July, you may do better off Sandheads, but there is tons of open water there---and I've logged more than just a few hours off there getting skunked. A couple of local die hards that frequently fish that area-- report in regularly with tackle shops---they fish 3 times a week out there and they're lucky if they find 1, let alone 2..and off Sandheads there are no feeders at that time of year. At least that is a possibility off Active or Porlier.

In reviewing charts with a former commercial fisher who now calls Delta home, and listening to his experiences on how to fish the ledges in the tides, he says you'd be surprised as to how many fish are there. He had one of the last B licensed boats and he recreational fishes there frequently during those weeks--you may have seen him in his 28 Grady White called "White Tiger". His best weapon is hootchies he tells me. Now that he sport fishes, he still relies on them, but medium herring worked for him.

Last summer on a couple of days in early July he hauled 4 springs out of there on one tide in 2 consecutive days. That's pretty impressive. 8 springs between 15 and 25 lbs in 2 days...you'd be hard pressed to do that off Sandheads at any time of year. He sent me a couple of pics. Wish I could post them here...

Anyways, he's going to take me over there next June and July and show me a few things---I'm all in!

One of my best friends is Dale Cook and he and his father and brothers(all commercial trollers) fished that area for many years , I have been out with them and many of the local commercial fisherman and paid close attention to the lines they fished depths , speeds etc ; and the time of the year , I will grant you that there may be some springs around in the deeper areas off of the east shore of Galiano and down to Active pass , but the hey day of intense spring fishing off of Porlier and its close environs is not there anymore , htere are some of the old timers left who patrol those areas and I will go out during specific tides and at the most favourable times of the year in my experience and catch some salmon , but it is very hit and miss.

AL

One of my best friends is Dale Cook and he and his father and brothers(all commercial trollers) fished that area for many years , I have been out with them and many of the local commercial fisherman and paid close attention to the lines they fished depths , speeds etc ; and the time of the year , I will grant you that there may be some springs around in the deeper areas off of the east shore of Galiano and down to Active pass , but the hey day of intense spring fishing off of Porlier and its close environs is not there anymore , htere are some of the old timers left who patrol those areas and I will go out during specific tides and at the most favourable times of the year in my experience and catch some salmon , but it is very hit and miss.

AL

Agreed. It's not stellar out there. It's more "miss" than "hit".

Off Sandheads: Further south, off the Coal Ports, is where a lot of effort is put in by the 2/3 guys that fish the area the most. They're very persistent guys that put in 15-20 hours a week fishing for themselves.... they may find "a fish a trip" at the peak time of year, but go a fair share without and every once in a while they report in to say that they found 2 a trip. Most of those fish are caught on anchovies or medium herring behind flashers..one of their secrets is to put in time covering a certain amount of water and working it methodically by waiting for the fish to find them as opposed to covering miles of water out there at the peak times.

I'd offer more, but I'm afraid I'm unable to divulge more information as to specific locations as the next thing there would be 25 to 50 boats on the area.

Understood , the pattern to fishing this area over here is similar , find your progressive drop off ledges and figure 8 the area until the fish come to you.

Cheers

AL

Understood , the pattern to fishing this area over here is similar , find your progressive drop off ledges and figure 8 the area until the fish come to you.

Cheers

AL

Check your forecast if you're coming over from the island...it's. Your gas bill my not be all that cheap either...and the guys at the Steveston dock STICK it to people cuz they're the only game in town. I found that out once. Never again.

theres a few areas much closer to my cabin(ruxton) then sandheads for springs i fish. Sandheads we'd mostly go out for any other runs of fish, last summer it was the sockeye.I know lotsa different species of salmon cruise through there, but anyone know what time of year certain runs go through?

thanks
-tufnail

Back