anyone ever caught a wolf eel?

Seeing as we are talking wolf eels. In the 70's I worked on a 54 foot freezer trawler, when we weren't fishing for salmon we would be out chasing herring and during the months of November through to February we would drag for plankton between Crofton and Saltspring Island. One night after a tow, I was bagging the plankton out of this huge bin to prepare the bags for the freezer. Almost crapped myself when about a four foot wolf eel poked it's head out of the bin. Strange thing is we were dragging in 100 fathoms of water with the tow only 50 feet down from the surface. Why in the world was a wolf eel swimming along with 550 feet of water below him? We figured he must of been there to feed on the plankton.

Saw lots of wolf eels brought up in trawl nets when I was doing an at sea observer gig.
Since I did not agree with the standard fish pew return method, I would grab them by the base of the skull and give them a good heave overboard.
I love to see them when diving, but they take on a much different persona when on deck!

Back