Anybody built their own Cope boat?

I've wondered about the pp200, but wondered if if would have the amps / duty cycle for a serious boat build. Did you look into the miller 255 at all? It does pulse, and I've been happy with my miller machines in the past. I thought about everlast, but not sure about the quality/lifespan...
If the whole boat was 1/4”, I would have opted for a larger welder. My design is 3/16” bottom and sides. All the structure is 3/16” as well. Sides are designed at 1/8”, but opted for thicker side to help with distortion and when I come into the dock/trailer to hot.
I’ve had the PP200 for about 16 months now. Done some continuous welding 3/16” with 5356 wire, only hit the duty cycle max once. Welding with 5356 is a whole other animal compared to 4043. for a machine to use on evenings and weekends, it’s great, but I wouldn’t use it for continuous daily use. I looked at the ever last, but had the same concerns.
I do like Miller, have 2 of them at work, great reliability and last forever it seems.
I’ll looking into the 255 closely, I have 2 in-laws that want 16’ centre consoles.
You can never have to many tools, welders included haha, just don’t tell my wife!!

Last edited:
If the whole boat was 1/4”, I would have opted for a larger welder. My design is 3/16” bottom and sides. All the structure is 3/16” as well. Sides are designed at 1/8”, but opted for thicker side to help with distortion and when I come into the dock/trailer to hot.
I’ve had the PP200 for about 16 months now. Done some continuous welding 3/16” with 5356 wire, only hit the duty cycle max once. Welding with 5356 is a whole other animal compared to 4043. for a machine to use on evenings and weekends, it’s great, but I wouldn’t use it for continuous daily use. I looked at the ever last, but had the same concerns.
I do like Miller, have 2 of them at work, great reliability and last forever it seems.
I’ll looking into the 255 closely, I have 2 in-laws that want 16’ centre consoles.
You can never have to many tools, welders included haha, just don’t tell my wife!!
Man I find any excuse possible to buy tools. I had to drill some 1-1/2" holes in a structural beam at a site so instead of renting something or just taking my time with a good hole saw and drill I ended up with a $1500 mag drill. Haven't used it since but man does the big box look good next to the equally dusty portaband. o_O

PS milwaukee mag drill and portaband for rent...

Man I find any excuse possible to buy tools. I had to drill some 1-1/2" holes in a structural beam at a site so instead of renting something or just taking my time with a good hole saw and drill I ended up with a $1500 mag drill. Haven't used it since but man does the big box look good next to the equally dusty portaband. o_O

PS milwaukee mag drill and portaband for rent...

Turn the mag drill into a minature drill press. I turned my portaband into a small mitre saw.

I need a bigger garage.

Turn the mag drill into a minature drill press. I turned my portaband into a small mitre saw.

I need a bigger garage.
The plan was to build a base for the portaband. Never happened. I think they're all buried behind two fryers and a pile of broken dreams.

Bentley, on this site built a smaller cope last year, there is a thread some where here

Yes i finished the 14' bay skiff last spring, great little boat for ripping around in. It was all made from 1/8" so it was a little tricky to weld up and keep the distortion under control.
I had the miller XMT 350 for a power source and the push pull feeder set up. When I do another one, it will be in the 18' -21' range and thicker material, all in all it was a fun little project and gets lots of use!!!!!
IMG_7116.jpg

Yes i finished the 14' bay skiff last spring, great little boat for ripping around in. It was all made from 1/8" so it was a little tricky to weld up and keep the distortion under control.
I had the miller XMT 350 for a power source and the push pull feeder set up. When I do another one, it will be in the 18' -21' range and thicker material, all in all it was a fun little project and gets lots of use!!!!!
View attachment 51109
Looks great!

Back