Any Pos/Neg on Standard Horizon Chartplotter??

Sitkaspruce

We are in the shopping mode for a new Chartplotter, our Lowrance gave up the ghost (but the sounder still works fine)

Our local shop is haveing a sale on SH and we are thinking about this one;

http://www.standardhorizon.com/inde...A75341586E44F877244&DivisionID=3&isArchived=0

built in charts, 3 year warranty and NOT Lowrance all seem to make it a plus.

Any comments on good/bad about SH chartplotters, C-MAP's or SH in general will be appreciated.

Cheers

SS

Hey SS. Used the older ones with chip's were good.I liked the charts better than my lowrance and Furuno.user friendly too.

have two and both work great. both are 6 yrs old 1 had moisture in the screen at the end of the season sent back 4 weeks had it back. they replaced the screen as it had a crack, trust me it takes a sh-- ki-- in my boat. just over a $100.00 to fix. reason for spare.

I'm on my second one, replaced the first cause I wanted colour. A buddy is still using the first one and I've had the colour one for more than 2 years. so far it works just fine, no problems, maps are good lots of detail. I have an open boat with just a little cover and it handles it fine. I added the sounder to it also, they share the same screen, and it hooks up to my vhf too.

Sitkaspruce: I bought my boat a couple years ago and it came with the Standard Horizon CP175C chartplotter. This plotter has been flawless, is easy to mount and remove from the boat, and is very user friendly. The guy I bought the boat from has a new boat with two new plotters (Lowrance & Raymarine) but he prefers his old Standard Horizon.

...Rob H.

If you go over to thehulltruth.com, there are SH people (Product Manager, VP) on the Electronics Forum answering questions and doing product support right there. No "terrible customer service" threads for SH. When my Lowrance packs it in, I'll go SH in a minute.

I got a SH CP300i (looks like the 'new' CP390) with my new boat last year and it worked great for a couple of months and then crapped out - no display. Took it back to the dealer who gave me a lender while he sent my unit back for repair. I got the repaired/new unit back in 6-8 weeks and it's been fine ever since. I like the unit a lot, customer service is great and I have no regrets on the choice.

Clipper
I have the 300i also. I bought it two years ago and have not had a problem. Plus I like the idea of not having another antenna hanging off the boat.
Im very happy with it.
BS

Bought the 300i and the AIS VHF to go with it before last season...no complaints so far. Graphics are great and navigation through the menus is quick and easy...

I haven't been paying attention to the prices lately, but I did a lot better in the States...some dealer in Ohio beat any of the stores in Van by $200 - $300 on the two items...

Anyone weigh in on the differences on the chart detail between Lowrance and SH?
Sorry SS, not trying to hijack the thread (death to the infidel!) but I was considering the same thing-heard rumor that the Navionics chip had better detail for VI

I picked up the CP180i 1 1/2yrs ago and love it, bought mine off the web from a guy in Ontario, he had the best price anywhere at the time
Tex Pro Marine was his company name.....very nice guy to talk on the phone with, also picked up the chart from him, got the Jeppson Cmap Max chart...from Puget sound up to Alaska including ECVI + WCVI...way more info than I will EVER use....

blows away the chart detail of my furuno...(my buddies words)

Both myself and my fishin buddy Bushy bought SH chartplotters about 5 years ago and no problems. They are a great unit and I think it's a good idea to have separate units for sounder and nav. I don't know if the new ones come with a small low amp in line fuse but if they do get a spare or two and keep it on board. BRS

I was told by the sales guy at POCO Marine that they are the only unit sold in BC that has a local service depot for warranty work. He also said that if the unit dies after the warranty period and is not repairable they would replace it with a comparable unit for a fixed fee. I don't remember the price he told me they charge, but I was impressed that it seemed very reasonable.

The repair depot is in Vancouver, I have used this guy for repair work before and he is quite good. So, for the guys in the lower mainland that is a very nice plus to have a local repair facility.

This was all coming from the salesman, so I don't know how true it all is. If this info is correct , I'd say that it's a big positive in their favor.

I have been using the SH chartplotter for the past 3 years, the plotter is easy to use and for the most part quite accurate. I have found some areas around Winter Harbour that I would bring into question but for the most part you will not be disappointed with the plotter. The fish finder side of it, well that is another question. If it shows fish they are not there if it does'nt watch your rod tip. SH help line is a good source to contact if you have problems or questions.

Back