any iphone users out there?

dohboy

Wondering what apps you have tried and like? I found the navionics app. for the west coast, all the same charts i have in my lowarance gps , but it only cost me $10 for the ipone app.[8D]

and from what i can see so far it has all the same stuff, just way smaller screen

I have that app too, only problem is, when I'm fishing Sooke, my phone jumps on to the AT&T network out of the states! Unless it was a real emergency, I don't want to pay the huge data roaming rate.
As for other apps, the Tim Horton's finder is a nice free one, I travel a lot and it's nice to be able to find timmies almost everywhere.

i thought the idea with the navionics app was it went by gps not cellular, when i was reading the reviews before buying it, guys were talking about very remote places with no cellular coverage

turn off 3g and it won't roam. i use yellow pages, and the weathereye one. tsn and tapatalk. i wish this forum would sign up for tapaptalk. it would be way easier to navigate. also if you're into geocaaching, the iphone app is the cat's butt.

I have the Navionics app for my iPad. It's awesome, and it actually works as good, or maybe even better than my Lowrance onboard. The screen size is great, and I have been using it in the boat so that I don't have to run split screen on my sounder/gps unit. I can run full screen on my sounder, and full screen plotter on my iPad. The iPad version of the Navionics app was a little more expensive though. It cost me $26.99:) What did my West Coast card cost me for my Lowrance??? $199 if I remember correctly[B)]

I also use the ShralpTide app for tides. It's free, and works great.

FishWish

so is it using its internal gps then, or cellular signal to access the web?

there are some neat apps for sure, but the decent ones you have to pay for, most free ones are very good (at least what i found so far)

i have had my phone (3gs)about 3 wks and only got it because it was as cheap for me as a decent phone. to be honest i had no intrest in all this fancy stuff, but now that i have it.... WOW is all i can say, my gf got one as well and she is on the thing non-stop

it uses the gps to locate you. if you use the search button on navionics you get a pretty slick tide reading as well. the i phone will always try to roam if the 3g network is turned on. it worked great even down south when i was on a cruise with the network turned off.

what difference does the sim card make for that app

and come on i am sure you guys got some cool apps, i have tried a bunch of games but nothing worth keeping yet, i did get a conversion app., i can never remember my conversions of stuff, now it is easy

Having the sim card probably wouldn't do anything, other than now my iPad won't try to find my location with the network. It just uses the gps.

the navionics ap is awesome, the maps are great I use it for the tides alot as well, I also use windfinder for hourly wind prediction forecasts etc, and the noaa buoy app you get hourly wind reports from all the weather buoys really nice to see that info anywhere.

so if i am off sooke, turn my 3g off, i can still recieve phone calls etc, just wont be roaming?

and the navionics app doesnt roam as it is gps? and doesnt use up my data useage amount? am i getting closer to understanding all this, or am i way off

Both the iPad and iPhone use data (3G) if it is turned on. It will use the cell towers for faster and more accurate postion (This is called Assited GPS). Goggle and Bing overlay maps are also downloaded if 3G enabled and if the option is enabled within the app. My iPad doe not have a sim (no 3G) and found no difference in getting postion or speed to obtain a gps location.

I have both units and charts on both and the iPad version is much nicer than the iPhone. Awesome backup units for main GPS and much quicker access to tides and currents than both my Lowrance units.

That said, be aware that both units have moisture sensors and will shut down if it gets to much moisture. If the unit fails after, Apple can read the moisture and will void the warranty. Keep both units dry

/fishon

The moisture issue worried me as well. I bought a small SeaLine waterproof chart case to put my iPad in when I take it out on the boat, and the touch screen still works through the waterproof material. I wouldn't trust dropping it in the water, but at least it keeps the moisture out.

FishWish

i have the model down from it called the defender i think, it is black
i leave it on the phone all the time, the one your looking at would be a little big for everyday use, but probably great for the boat
once u get the phone there is no turning back, you will be playing on it all the time:D

I use the otter box everyday, fishing and working.... dropped mine out of a 2nd story window bounced off a rock into a puddle..... still perfect shape

I just got an iphone and downloaded Navionics for it. I fish Sooke too. So if I turn off the 3G it won't roam even with the lesser network? Also, if I turn off 3G will it be using data still?

Thanks.

Highliner

www.salmonboats.ca

Best fishing app going. I use it to save alot of way points as backups. great for a second plotter and keeping a slug trail. awsome to look up tides and currents. and as for the otter box... saved my a$$ a few times lol

"A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work"

Back