Anti theft options for boat in driveway?

Bring 220V to the trailer on a 60amp breaker...

Last edited:
My cabin can be locked up and the boat itself sits right under my bedroom window. I leave everything in the boat. The boat trailer is chained by flat deck grade chain and a big pad lock...chain goes through holes in two right side wheels so they won't turn. When the boat is in the water I have a hidden ignition kill switch so the boat won't start. Hit the key and the motor rolls on the starter but will not fire and the over heat horn sounds too. Will wake up the live a aboard crowd at the dock.

Some good ideas out there thanks ;)
Fortunately I live in an area of Nanaimo that sees very little theft. Knocking on wood... There was a time last year that some thefts were happening but they chose the wrong persons shop one day and the guy was found by the river camping and taken away in an ambulance the next day, assuming pretty bloody from the beat down...

Funny story....
Went to an open house a couple years ago off Lonsdale in North Van. Chatted with the realtor for a while. A guy walks in with a cane, says he’s a realtor with team 3000 realty, Briefly checks the place out and leaves. Minutes later I go to leave and my shoes are missing?? In place of my shoes are his. They are pretty haggard looking. Mine were new, like 2 days old. I head outside in my socks knowing he’s a few minutes ahead, the open house realtor follows. He’s nowhere to be seen. We head back inside and chat about what we remembered about him. His first name, team 3000. We google him, find a photo on the team 3000 website! Many years younger but it’s him. Called the number that google had for him. Goes to a native council office?? Dead end. Call team 3000, they say he’s no longer active. Hmmm
I put his shoes on and head out. Get into my car and the heater is turned on. The air flows past my feet and smacks me in the face. His shoes REAK OF ****!!. I get home throw his shoes in a grocery bag and leave them outside.
Normally I’d just throw in a different pair of shoes and be done with it. BUT they have my new custom orthotics in them!! So they are $500 shoes!
Some more googling and I find his brother online. I call his brother and he tells me he is a drunk and homeless. Good luck finding him!
I asked if he knew anything about his daily routine. He says he frequents the legions and has a native girlfriend on the Reserve near cates park. So I head to the nearest Legion from there. Chat with some older people and they know who he is. Doesn’t come around much anymore, tough times... Head to another legion, nothing. Leave my number in case he seen,,,
I then go to the closest homeless shelters. They can’t say anything about who stays there. So I start asking around to some homeless people. The word is OUT! Call me if you see him.
The next day I track down his girlfriend and his lawyer and have chats on the phone. He was in a real estate course trying to get his licence back. They would get him to call me after the course. Another funny thing is his lawyer let him borrow a pair of his shoes for the course that day. Said if he took them it wasn’t on purpose. Yeah right
Phone rings that afternoon... it’s HIM!
Sorry, blah blah, I didn’t know they were yours, blah blah.
Where are you he says? I’m at Starbucks... ok I will see you in 20

24 hours later I had the thief damn near put the shoes back on my feet. I gave his stank shoes in the grocery bag. He was wearing his Lawyers nice leather shoes and he was on his way

happy ending :)

Don't steal my Fishfinder, or my shoes, I will find you!

Thinking of getting a T H boat alarm if anybody has any thoughts on that. Yes I have dogs but they’re ankle biters

Tough old world when your jackin’ shoes for a living.
I use a solar led red light. No ****. I have everyone from police to a co owner of island outfitters ask me about my surveillance system. I think I posted a pic inadvertently in the past of it but it’s made by carmannah and it’s been on my boat for about 10 years. Moored and in the driveway. I leave riggers and electronics on and lock rods in cuddy. Sooke to Victoria zero issues. Kicker on all that good easy to steal ****. No problems.

Nothing is foolproof, but there are several things you can do to forestall thefts of and from your boat.

Run a security chain through a wheel and around your axle.

Install a lock on your coupler.

Install a motion sensor light and camera.

Install an alarm system for all your lockable hatches and downriggers.

If you moor your boat and use shore power you can use contacts that when open sound an alarm, these are better then the ones that only sound an alarm if the magnetic contacts touch because if a wire is cut the alarm will sound.

You can also use a pressure mat to set of the alarm if someone steps on it.

Tough old world when your jackin’ shoes for a living.
I use a solar led red light. No ****. I have everyone from police to a co owner of island outfitters ask me about my surveillance system. I think I posted a pic inadvertently in the past of it but it’s made by carmannah and it’s been on my boat for about 10 years. Moored and in the driveway. I leave riggers and electronics on and lock rods in cuddy. Sooke to Victoria zero issues. Kicker on all that good easy to steal ****. No problems.
Where did you get the light?

Last edited:
I keep my boat in a marina slip during the summer fishing season but when it goes into dry land storage everything of value comes off it including the bolted on Kicker.

I have thought that for the driveway or beside the house someone should come up with a timer limited, motion activated digital recording with amp and speaker of several very large dogs gurring, snarling and barking around the corner with a short delay to enter a deactivation code. I guess you would not want the neighbours to close if you have lots of deer around.

One of my buddies came close to losing his 30hp main motor off his tinny a few weeks back. Apparently a real genius thief who cut through the main starting power from the battery and shorted it. Lots of sparks, melted metal and plastic and a blinding white arc light in the dark. They think he burnt and/or scared and disoriented himself and ran away fast. The short killed the battery though.

Last edited:
I don't have a very good answer to that MadJigga.....I think @SpringVelocity was involved in the design and may be able to help.....
I acquired them as power was turned off to two large tower cranes and they needed temporary aircraft warning lights.....so I Installed them temporarily and they never asked for them back :).
https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/tips-for-bringing-little-ones-out.80625/

Yeah you have an old Aviation 650 series light. They sort of gave them away at first just to get feedback on design. Impressive yours is still working. The division of Aviation and marine lighting sold last year to SPX. Kind of sad seeing designs being bought up. It was great ride.....

https://www.flashtechnology.com/spx-acquires-marine-obstruction-carmanah/

Make all of your stuff as awkward to steal as you can reasonably can. Most thieves will bypass your stuff to find an easier target.
That said, sometimes you will get stung NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO.

When I was SCUBA diving I bought as much hot pink stuff as possible, no other man dare to use my stuff lol it worked! Spray it all a bright colour... haha

Back