Anti-Fouling paint on transducer?

Ghostprof

This may be a really stupid question, but is there any reason not to paint my fishfinder transducer with anti-fouling paint? Seems like it would help keep gunk off it and maybe working better (though I didn't notice a drop off in function when it was gunked). But then again, maybe there is some really good reason not to that I am just not thinking of.
tl;dr: would any of you even consider doing it?

Thanks in advance for not making fun of me. :)

This may be a really stupid question, but is there any reason not to paint my fishfinder transducer with anti-fouling paint? Seems like it would help keep gunk off it and maybe working better (though I didn't notice a drop off in function when it was gunked). But then again, maybe there is some really good reason not to that I am just not thinking of.

Seems to me most transducers say right on them. "do not Paint" Probably reduces the sound transmission and capture. Same for radar ant.

Seems to me most transducers say right on them. "do not Paint" Probably reduces the sound transmission and capture. Same for radar ant.
I told you it was probably a stupid question. I can't read anything on my transducer, but if most of them say not to paint that's good enough for me. Thanks!

I had the same question as I would get growth on my transducer. I do know there are special transducer paints, but I have no experience with them, and how effective they are. Hopefully some one here will enlighten this matter!

One wonders if it has something to do with some anti-fouling paints having toxic metals in them such as copper.

There are a number of transducer specific paints. I have used MDR water base Ant-fouling transducer paint for years with great results and no damage to the transducer. And no apparent degradation of echo; fish still end up in the boat. I find West Marine is always a good place to refer to

Foulfree by PropsSpeed is the closest thing to antifouling paint on a transducer. its basically super slippery paint that prevents growth from sticking.

I always put masking tape on the face of the transducer, and then painted the top and sides. worked for me. remove masking tape before re launch.

Pantene works great dont need it on the bottom side ive found just on the top do the cord as well ...

Antifouling as such does not harm nor degrade the transducer, however the solvents in ketone-based paints can possibly damage the plastics.
Airmar suggests using a water-based antifoulant paint...

Foulfree by PropsSpeed is the closest thing to antifouling paint on a transducer. its basically super slippery paint that prevents growth from sticking.
Interesting... have you used this product? Thanks for the idea.

Back