Another Bradley bites the dust!

lazoman

So, I literally fried my bradley last night, a combination of too many pucks late in the smoking, a fat rendering beef brisket, and a few hours unattended.

Actually I was doing a couple briskets and made the bad mistake of topping off the puck stack before retiring at 1 am this morning. I use a full size 9x12 baking pan for the water tray and refilled it before leaving it. Plan was to pull it out at 6 am.

When I went out in the morning the door of the smoker was on the floor and one of the briskets on the floor??? Wth?

The fat had really started melting out at 170-180 int temp and the new pucks were stacking up beside the element. This must have caused the initial flare up and things escalated from there.

Very lucky the whole garage/shed was still standing at 6 am!!

Attachments

• IMG_9322.JPG
    IMG_9322.JPG
    470.1 KB · Views: 158
Wow, I've heard about grease/oil fires in a Bradley. After seeing that picture I'm
glad I use my Webber Smokey Mountain for the big hunks of meat, it has a large bowl
to catch the grease and oil.
My Bradley will only be used for fish and other low temperature items.

Sorry for your loss ... the Bradley and the briskets.

Wow, I've heard about grease/oil fires in a Bradley. After seeing that picture I'm
glad I use my Webber Smokey Mountain for the big hunks of meat, it has a large bowl
to catch the grease and oil.
My Bradley will only be used for fish and other low temperature items.

Sorry for your loss ... the Bradley and the briskets.

Googling 'bradley smoker fires' is an eye opener! I actually read the book for the new one I picked up today and it says to clear the waterbowl and old pucks every 2 hours, on almost every page!!!!

Doing 2 or 3 briskets does get messy, A webber SM does a great job and you get the smoke ring that a bradley doesnt. Plans for one are in the works

My old bradley was one of the originals, way before they started calling them 'Originals' . This new one is so much better constructed, stainless everything, sure is shiny. Time to darken it up tonight, I'm still hankering for a brisket and slaw on a bun.

Attachments

• IMG_9327.JPG
    IMG_9327.JPG
    469.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
That is shiny!
It's good to know the new ones are constructed better. I've had my Bradley over 10 years, so it hasn't been shiny in a long time.

I have the 18.5 inch WSM but sometimes wish I went for the 22.5 inch, then the racks of ribs and briskets would fit better.

That is shiny!
It's good to know the new ones are constructed better. I've had my Bradley over 10 years, so it hasn't been shiny in a long time.

I have the 18.5 inch WSM but sometimes wish I went for the 22.5 inch, then the racks of ribs and briskets would fit better.

Bigger IS better

Back