Annoucement of Protest Outside Fisheries Minister's office May 1 from 12 to 1 PM

cohochinook

Please join a peaceful protest of DFO’s decision to close recreational fishing to the retention of chinook. Fisheries Minister Jonathan Wilkinson and DFO have announced large blanket closures which are an ineffective way to manage the recovery of early Fraser River chinook stocks. There is no scientific data to support the effectiveness of these closures. The announcement has serious and substantial socioeconomic impacts on coastal communities. We’re encouraging all concerned individuals, groups and businesses to join us to protest the following and push for a sustainable solution.

The reality is DFO is shutting down one distinct Chinook fishery and user group so they can shut down another user group on completely different stocks of Chinook salmon. This closure to chinook salmon retention will do nothing to protect the chinook stocks that need protecting. The closure has been done for political reasons and is mismanagement of the resource at the highest level! We want to make it very clear to Minister Wilkinson that to shut down the entire south coast so they can attempt to reduce First Nation in river impacts on interior Fraser chinook is not acceptable!

The Recreational Fishery has proven through CWT and DNA submission that there is very little interception of threatened Fraser River Chinook Stocks in the Strait of Georgia. In 2018, DNA shows that less than 1 percent of the total recreational catch was of Fraser Stocks of Concern. To say the DFO did not have sustainable Chinook retention options in the spring and early summer in Areas 13 to 19 is simply not true. The same can be said for the West Coast of Vancouver Island and from Campbell River to Port Hardy. The Recreational sector is committed to conservation, enhancement initiatives and standing up to politically motivated management decisions.

The closures to chinook retention in our local area between Vancouver and Nanaimo include Bowen Island, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast and Gabriola Island. These areas have been experiencing amazing chinook fishing (for non-interior Fraser stocks) for the last 10 years. This closure is being done for the opportunity to keep First Nations nets out of the Fraser to save interior Fraser stocks. Minister Wilkinson and DFO need to recognize that the chinook salmon that are off Bowen Island and across to Nanaimo are not early Fraser stocks of concern. DFO has confirmed this through CWT (coded wire tag ) data and DNA sampling. The resulting data clearly shows that the fish we catch in those areas are not the Fraser River stocks of concern we need to protect. This is a scientific fact, not speculation. The fish we are catching in the Spring and Early Summer are known are mainly East Coast Vancouver Island, Puget Sound, Fall Run Fraser River Stocks of hatchery origin. A mere 10 percent of Canadian hatchery Chinook salmon are clipped. There is no conservation concern for these stocks and a 1 per day chinook limit or a 1 per day hatchery chinook limit, is certainly sustainable, extremely conservative and acceptable from a scientific fisheries management viewpoint.

We want DFO to take real and meaningful action on a recovery plan for early Fraser chinook that includes chinook predator control, habitat rehabilitation, key hatchery enhancement and adequate funding of fisheries officers and habitat staff. Currently there is no plan with funding in place for these crucial actions to take place and that needs to change now! We are requesting a retention fishery of 1 Chinook per day for all South Coast Areas currently without Chinook retention opportunities due to the 2019 Fraser River Chinook Conservation Measures. We support hatchery only retention where science shows elevated interception of threatened Fraser River Chinook Stocks.

Protest Location and Time: May 1, 2019 from 12 to 1 PM at Fisheries Minister Jonathan Wilkinson’s Office
102 W 3 Street, North Vancouver.

Great message:

We want DFO to take real and meaningful action on a recovery plan for early Fraser chinook that includes chinook predator control, habitat rehabilitation, key hatchery enhancement and adequate funding of fisheries officers and habitat staff.

I also think a key message is to point out all the local Chinook stocks which are doing very well.

Cowichan, Puntlege, Chilliwack(?), etc.

This is a Fraser River problem...not a rec fishing problem.

I also think a key message is to point out all the local Chinook stocks which are doing very well.

Cowichan, Puntlege, Chilliwack(?), etc.

This is a Fraser River problem...not a rec fishing problem.

Agreed, but there is only so much that you can put in an announcement. We're not writing a study here. We tried to hit on a few points! The Minister makes it sound like all Chinook stocks are going extinct if we don't stop fishing.

Last edited:
Just a point on the messaging, that is typically missed. We need Habitat PROTECTION, not just restoration, please! Costs hundreds, if not thousands, of times more to restore fish habitat, w/ pitiful results for the most part, compared to simply conserving and protecting the productivity we already have!

Cheers!

Ukee

Just a point on the messaging, that is typically missed. We need Habitat PROTECTION, not just restoration, please! Costs hundreds, if not thousands, of times more to restore fish habitat, w/ pitiful results for the most part, compared to simply conserving and protecting the productivity we already have!

Cheers!

Ukee

According to Bob Hooton there is hundreds of KM of great habitat in the interior that is void of salmon and steelhead.

Cheers!

Ukee
Hi Ukee,

I agree 100%! We're very supportive and want to see this action. DFO needs Habitat Enforcement staff, which they have got rid of most.

If you make too large an announcement, then you loose people's attention. Again this isn't a paper or study, but a protest to bring concerned individuals and businesses together, with the hope that it will show Minister Wilkinson that his actions are not the right direction to go with.

Agreed, but gov’ts love to shell out $$$s for habitat restoration with no real plan and no real accountability other than spending the $$$s, which has allowed both Cons and Libs to get their photo ops in. One small example: Folks on here would be disgusted to know how many culverts, installed w/ the full sanctioning of both the prov and Fed gov’ts, become fish barriers every year - multiple audits, run by industry, regulators and academia, all have similar results - 40-70% of culverts on fish streams become fish barriers. These same gov’ts fund “habitat restoration” on a half dozen or so fish barrier culverts every year in the Interior to the tune of hundreds of thousands of tax payers dollars per project. 100’s of new barriers every year while fixing a half dozen at a huge cost is bad math anyway you slice it.

Bob Hooton is a great steelhead advocate, and very knowledgeable about the Skeena and Nass systems ... but he knows very little about the issues for the vast majority of Fraser Interior salmon and steelhead stocks.

Cheers!

Ukee

I know you would be there if you could. Please let others know about it!
Hats off to you for stepping up and taking the bull by the horns! Guys like you are what has been sadly lacking ,not only in fishing but in a myriad of other issues.

In 2018, DNA shows that less than 1 percent of the total recreational catch was of Fraser Stocks of Concern.

"The reality is DFO is shutting down one distinct Chinook fishery and user group so they can shut down another user group on completely different stocks of Chinook salmon. This closure to chinook salmon retention will do nothing to protect the chinook stocks that need protecting. The closure has been done for political reasons ..."

Thanks for this!!!

Like most on this site, I have written and emailed and etc and felt EXTREMELY pissed off. I spent last weekend looking at the waters debating whether to C and R or not. I fish. I (sort of) fillet and I respect the resource we share as Canadians. I feel sad for opportunities denied for politics. I feel angry for opportunities lost for whatever people define this present cluster----.

I unfortunately have to work at that time but want to extend a huge THANK YOU to everyone working on bringing the reality to the forefront.

Just before pressing "Post Reply" button:

!#$@# just looked out the window and the weekend's forecast and became even more pissed off at this ******** announcement.

In 2018, DNA shows that less than 1 percent of the total recreational catch was of Fraser Stocks of Concern.

"The reality is DFO is shutting down one distinct Chinook fishery and user group so they can shut down another user group on completely different stocks of Chinook salmon. This closure to chinook salmon retention will do nothing to protect the chinook stocks that need protecting. The closure has been done for political reasons ..."

Thanks for this!!!

Like most on this site, I have written and emailed and etc and felt EXTREMELY pissed off. I spent last weekend looking at the waters debating whether to C and R or not. I fish. I (sort of) fillet and I respect the resource we share as Canadians. I feel sad for opportunities denied for politics. I feel angry for opportunities lost for whatever people define this present cluster----.

I unfortunately have to work at that time but want to extend a huge THANK YOU to everyone working on bringing the reality to the forefront.

Just before pressing "Post Reply" button:

!#$@# just looked out the window and the weekend's forecast and became even more pissed off at this ******** announcement.
Thank you and we realize that not everybody can make a protest mid-week. We are trying to do it when The Minister's office is open, but the support of sharing and spreading the word is just as important!

Bon Chovy
3 hrs ·
Please join a peaceful protest of DFO’s decision to close recreational fishing to the retention of chinook. Fisheries Minister Jonathan Wilkinson and DFO have announced large blanket closures which are an ineffective way to manage the recovery of early Fraser River chinook stocks. There is no scientific data to support the effectiveness of these closures. The announcement has serious and substantial socioeconomic impacts on coastal communities. We’re encouraging all concerned individuals, groups and businesses to join us to protest the following and push for a sustainable solution.

The reality is DFO is shutting down one distinct Chinook fishery and user group so they can shut down another user group on completely different stocks of Chinook salmon. This closure to chinook salmon retention will do nothing to protect the chinook stocks that need protecting. The closure has been done for political reasons and is mismanagement of the resource at the highest level! We want to make it very clear to Minister Wilkinson that to shut down the entire south coast so they can attempt to reduce First Nation in river impacts on interior Fraser chinook is not acceptable!

The Recreational Fishery has proven through CWT and DNA submission that there is very little interception of threatened Fraser River Chinook Stocks in the Strait of Georgia. In 2018, DNA shows that less than 1 percent of the total recreational catch was of Fraser Stocks of Concern. To say the DFO did not have sustainable Chinook retention options in the spring and early summer in Areas 13 to 19 is simply not true. The same can be said for the West Coast of Vancouver Island and from Campbell River to Port Hardy. The Recreational sector is committed to conservation, enhancement initiatives and standing up to politically motivated management decisions.

The closures to chinook retention in our local area between Vancouver and Nanaimo include Bowen Island, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast and Gabriola Island. These areas have been experiencing amazing chinook fishing (for non-interior Fraser stocks) for the last 10 years. This closure is being done for the opportunity to keep First Nations nets out of the Fraser to save interior Fraser stocks. Minister Wilkinson and DFO need to recognize that the chinook salmon that are off Bowen Island and across to Nanaimo are not early Fraser stocks of concern. DFO has confirmed this through CWT (coded wire tag ) data and DNA sampling. The resulting data clearly shows that the fish we catch in those areas are not the Fraser River stocks of concern we need to protect. This is a scientific fact, not speculation. The fish we are catching in the Spring and Early Summer are known are mainly East Coast Vancouver Island, Puget Sound, Fall Run Fraser River Stocks of hatchery origin. A mere 10 percent of Canadian hatchery Chinook salmon are clipped. There is no conservation concern for these stocks and a 1 per day chinook limit or a 1 per day hatchery chinook limit, is certainly sustainable, extremely conservative and acceptable from a scientific fisheries management viewpoint.

We want DFO to take real and meaningful action on a recovery plan for early Fraser chinook that includes chinook predator control, habitat rehabilitation, key hatchery enhancement and adequate funding of fisheries officers and habitat staff. Currently there is no plan with funding in place for these crucial actions to take place and that needs to change now! We are requesting a retention fishery of 1 Chinook per day for all South Coast Areas currently without Chinook retention opportunities due to the 2019 Fraser River Chinook Conservation Measures. We support hatchery only retention where science shows elevated interception of threatened Fraser River Chinook Stocks.

Protest Location and Time: May 1, 2019 from 12 to 1 PM at Fisheries Minister Jonathan Wilkinson’s Office
102 W 3rd Street, North Vancouver.

upload_2019-4-26_20-26-17.png

I can't make it either, but I will send a letter in support on may 1. I urge others to do so also.

This is great to see. You have my full support, I am unable to attend due to work but I’ll be sharing the **** out of this notice and writing the minister a letter of support!

A well worded response. Thanks for your efforts.

Just feel total anger at DFO. As a bureaucratic organization they have floundered for years with arrogant leadership and too many hidden agendas. Fawk. Should be fishing.

Back