Anglers eagerly await return of pinks

Im with you juandesooka, it would be great to have a pink year every year. Great smokers. Im thinking the commercial value is not great enough to warrant funding it but with the fall of stocks of the chinook / coho / sockeye you would think the time is right now.

Highlights,

Yeah...two guys were out fishing for coho/chum just outside Victoria waterfront in mid-Oct several years ago, it was a suprise that they reeled in a 60 pound silver spring! Most Victorians believed it came from Esquimalt Anglers's salmon project.

Or I was told it may come from Fraser River. who knows?

quote:Originally posted by juandesooka

But since we're on the subject of pinks, I have a question maybe someone can answer. The odd year Fraser run is massive and I believe the even year run was completely wiped out decades ago by a landslide. I'm curious why the even year run wasn't restocked, because pinks seem to be pretty easy to grow. Is it because they are "just pinks"? Undesirable competition with other species for food/space? Anyone know? Because if seeking to develop more recreational fishing opportunities, that's a pretty easy and accessible fishery (with apologies to the slime haters...)

The Fraser has never had even year pinks-as far as I know. The line for pinks both years is around say...Nile Creek. Most places south only get Pinks in odd years while north of the Island they are only even years. North Island recieves pinks every year in most systems with even years being generally bigger. Then line is around Pt. Mcneill. The Cluxewe gets aprox. the same amount year to year(a few more in even years) while the Quatse in Port Hardy gets a huge run in even years and almost non-existant in odd years. They actually tried to stock even year pinks in some fraser Tribs. years ago that didn't take. The Coqutlam is one for sure. That being said, I have seen a couple in the Thompson in even years-we're talking only a few in my life. I figured they were lost or lived and extra salt....could be decendants of this lost strain you're you're talking about? I've seen lost salmon in strange places before-like sockeye in small west coast streams with no lake-who really knows?[/size=1][/size=2][/size=4]

Last year I was told that there could be some increased pink opportunities for southern VI anglers in years to come - if all goes well. The few even year pinks in the Juan de Fuca Strait consist of Pudget Sound pinks and apparently the US is trying to boost those stocks - with some success so far from what I have heard.

quote:Originally posted by fishspoon

Highlights,

Yeah...two guys were out fishing for coho/chum just outside Victoria waterfront in mid-Oct several years ago, it was a suprise that they reeled in a 60 pound silver spring! Most Victorians believed it came from Esquimalt Anglers's salmon project.

Or I was told it may come from Fraser River. who knows?

I saw a picture of that fish, it was dark as an old boot...
milling about with no place to go

I know I wouldn't mind seeing a few Pinks around every year.. Having a couple of them on in a day is better than washing hooks all day for nothing.. The few Pinks we kept last summer and vacuum packed are tasting pretty good right now... As far as table fare go's give me a 5# Pink over a 30# Chinook any day...

I think this is a great idea. it provides a decent accessible sport fishery at a relatively low cost. as well wil minimal effect on wild stocks.

It is becoming more apparent that hatchery bred fish are not as well suited for survival and when they interbreed with wild stocks may cause these poor genes to be passed on. So the fact that they dont spawn can in some ways be considered to be a good. on the other hand if they do spawn go up the river they are providing nutrients to the river which will help other species in the lower river. And they will not have a detrimental effect on other species as they are generally the first to spawn and generally stick the lower reaches of the river, as well as someone else mentioned they have no instream residence time (once their egg yolk is used up they emerge and go to sea, so do not compete for vital instream habitat which is considered the limiting factor in production on Many VI rivers for stream type chinook, coho and steelhead which overwinter in the stream/river.

As well someone mentioned that the fraser has one year very large pink year, I believe it has always been like this. Pinks are unique in that their life histories do not vary at all. all pinks are two years old all the time. therefore in order to try and stock a odd year river with even year fish they need to obtain the broodstock from another watershed. This cross watershed movement is generally frowned upon.

Bang for your buck this is about the best thing out there. There was a return here in Nanaimo this year and it was a great success!.. I say go for it!

One thing in dont quite understand is how they get away with it, since salmon ranching is illegal in Canada, which this effectively is.

IMO
Shouldn't mess with mother nature.
She is mother of all mothers.

Everything has a ripple effect. These fish have to eat something.
Also they are food for something and may attract other somethings...

I would rather see $$ spent helping nature along not changing it.

Just my opinion.

Tips

Why don't they make the pinks triploids? Then we can catch 20 lb pinks[:0] with our flyrods off the beaches in 2 or 3 years.:D

Fact is, I don't know if they can even do this and/or what the repercussions would be, but heck, they do it with trout, why not the salmon.[B)][B)][B)][xx(]

quote:Rob-- do you feel the same way about lake stocking triploid sterile rainsbows?

i've had fun fishing stocked rainbows before.
But if a salmon isnt caught or eaten by a predator i simply think it deserves to go into a stream and spawn.
the thought of fish milling about until they die just isnt appealing to me, and i would rather see the money and effort be put towards helping sustainable stocks in need of the help.

quote:Originally posted by Tips Up

IMO
Shouldn't mess with mother nature.
She is mother of all mothers.

Everything has a ripple effect. These fish have to eat something.
Also they are food for something and may attract other somethings...

I would rather see $$ spent helping nature along not changing it.

Just my opinion.

Tips

I'm with you Tips. God has a special way of straightening us out if we get in the way.

I for one am open to enlightenment. I understand that there are successful pink programs on the Oyster (hell of a good shore fishery of spawning salmon), the Puntledge, and someone mentioned the Nanaimo (and I'm sure there are others.) That's enhancement and along with enhancement comes restoration. These are great programs adding to the overall health (I trust) of all five species, nutrients to the river systems etc - not to mention the revival of the fishery.

"when you consider the issues that we ignore that are crucial to our fisheries."

I also agree that we are not at all prepared for what we would have to do to as fishermen to give the stocks their very best chance (in spite of the overwhelming odds.) This would include a serious self-imposed cut back on our kills. We pound these fish from coast to coast. Slapping bandaids with non-spawning salmon might give us another bang or two but does nothing but obscure the reality that these stock are facing.

Sure will be great when they move those fish into the pens and the seals start to eat them instead of chasing our steel!!!!!:D

Back