Anchoring

J

Jaws3D

Hello.

Just curious what type of Anchor to use for fishing Halibut, as I am having troubles setting. I fish out of Prince Rupert, and have a 23 foot walkaround. I am using a 22lb danforth imitation (Cheapo) with 30 ft of chain, and am having difficulties setting in the sand / mud bottom up here, were the halibut frequent We usually anchor between 150-250 ft. I am confident in my ability to anchor, just not in this particular anchor itself. I was wondering if maybe I should pay for a quality Danforth type, or switch to a delta plow type anchor, which a lot of the charter guys use up here. I just hate wasting time dragging, and trying to re-set the anchor when I should be fishing. Any recomendations are appreciated!

mlagg, I have 500ft of rope as well. I may have to give the lewmar anchor a try.

Tailspin, thanks, I was just gonna ask what size Plow for my application.

How strong is the current when you are setting? 22lbs should be plenty.

Silverquest. I don't know exactly how the fast the current is, however it sure rips. We have some large tide changes in Rupert. 15 ft or more is not uncommon.

The tide and current atlas for your area would be worth getting. Try to set in less than a 2 knot current.

Back