Anchor Rope for Halibut

tubby

Hi
Can you use the cheaper pawn type floating rope (3/8 inch), not the 'yellow' crap but the better grip 'blue' rope for halibut anchoring or do you need to use the good double braid stuff?

thanks

You really don't need to worry about it floating with an anchor attached :p
The bigger problem is that it has memory and won't coil properly.
I started with the blue "super dan" poly rope and quickly moved to a nylon double braid.
It costs more, buy well worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have lots of extra rope you deffinetly don't want floating. 350ft of floating rope in 150ft of water is probably going to leave some near the surface.

A top shot of 100ft of sinking rope will do to ensure the top of your rope stays down away from passing props. Boaters shouldn't cut that close to your Scotsmen but they do. i'm assuming you'll use a scotsmen some people don't that would make the floating rope even worse.

You got to think about current change too at slack tide you won't always be tight to the anchor allowing your rope to float up even more.

Last edited by a moderator:
We use the yellow braided stuff (floating). I just bought a new roll from wise buys. I think it was around $350 for 600 ft. You will use 125' or so at the boat and will get 475' for anchor line. It floats which is great for Hally. You drag it out of the scotchman device, then instead of having to pull it out of the water, it is laying on top of the water. Much easier to pull in. Like craven pointed out, there is no memory, its nice and floppy. Just pull it in. I got mine at wise buys and Bill was kind enough to rig it up for no extra charge. And he even gave me a little tutorial in the parking lot. Though I did get em a box of beer for his trouble.

I hadn't given much thought to anchoring in salmon season until this post. I wouldn't count on people using their common sense and not trolling over your anchor line. We could start a whole new thread about some of the goofballs we've seen out there. Common sense is not quite as common these days! We have a smaller length of rope (300') that we used last year. I guess we will use that this summer.

Back