An open thank you to the forum

I

Ian

Last weekend things came together for me and outside of continuing to put the effort in on my part, the majority of the reason is thanks to the information given on this board.

Folks usually find a way to complain, but seem to rarely find it to say thanks, I'd like to change that and say a big thank you to all who knowingly, or unknowlingly (through the archives) helped me.

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/ianrfeir-IMG_3490.jpg

There may be only 8, but I finally caught some, and with any luck next time will be a good feed!

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/ianrfeir-IMG_3489.jpg

I've been doing well on the crabs for a bit, they seem easier to catch then the prawns, but this is the first time I've been able to count out.

Thanks again to everyone!

Very best,

Ian

this is where everybody starts! looks good :D but remember prawns move around, some weeks ill get 150 in a trap and the next 20.

Ahh, the sweet taste of success.
Well done.
Now your hooked, on crabs, prawns, and the forum board.
Much time will be well spent on each of these.

Mmmmmm, I'm hungry now, well done!

Sounds like you were in the right neighbourhood. Not sure how you pick your set points.... at first I just picked areas where I knew others had caught prawns and looked for 275-400' of water and let fly. It worked okay but sometimes I'd get lot's and sometimes not many at all. Now I spend more time with my sounder looking for, holes, depressions on flats or the bottom of drop-offs in the above depths. Prawns like to hunker down to get out of the current so the holes and depressions do well and they go up into the shallows at night to feed so the bottom of shelves leading up to 100-200' flats are good places to find them during the day. The hard part is figuring out how far your traps are going to drift before they hit bottom but even getting close is going to catch more than if you set on a flat or worse and incline (unless your setting overnight).

Soon you'll need the outside propane burner and the BIG pot :)

Back