An MPA Network for the Northern Shelf Bioregion

Not how I read it in release. Looks like everyone out. This is first one of I think 5 now.

What is most concerning though is I thought MPA was to address the bottom vents etc from ground fish fisheries. Now the liberals just seem to have rewrote it to include top waterspecies. I assume this affects albacore fisheries and other commercial fisheries.

Even more disturbing was quote from DFO that they heard from only 3000 people out of our entire BC population.

Last edited:
In some of the documents I’ve seen from oceans Canada group working on it fsc was exempt in a lot of the areas.

Not how I read it in release.
Yes, I believe that some will be a full closure for everyone......the knight inlet one being one of them. But I imagine those will most likely be the exception, not the norm.
Read the entire document this morning......more questions than answers......looks like it will be a fairly slow roll out.

Not necessarily....these are obviously a work in progress but it does look like some areas will be off limits to everyone. I read the entire document and I believe the area in knight inlet will be a full closure for everyone.

Yes, I believe that some will be a full closure for everyone......the knight inlet one being one of them. But I imagine those will most likely be the exception, not the norm.
Read the entire document this morning......more questions than answers......looks like it will be a fairly slow roll out.

admittedly i have not kept up on in, i did a lot of researched into it in 2019 when there was talk of stockholder reviews and a draft plan. At that time FSC harvest was exempt in a lot of areas.

There was suppose to be a recreationally fishing committee set up for it, I did not keep up with that process tho.

Yeah lots of questions for sure.

In some of the documents I’ve seen from oceans Canada group working on it fsc was exempt in a lot of the areas.

Yeah but maybe that was a hard approve it. Who knows what position of environmental groups were to get agreement. Obviously something changed.

I thought I heard commercial just walked out of these meetings.

This webpage is not legally binding. It is not intended to define, create, recognize, deny, or amend any of the rights of the Governance Partners. While it is intended to inform decision makers, it will not be interpreted or implemented in a manner that fetters the decision-making authorities of any of the Governance Partners. This Action Plan does not define the legal status of the Crowns’ rights or title or any particular Indigenous Nations’ rights or title, or how those rights co-exist with each other or other Indigenous Nations. Further, the Action Plan is not to be used, construed, or relied on by anyone as evidence, acceptance or admission of the existence, nature, scope or content of any treaty or Aboriginal rights or title and Crown rights or title.

Sounds like more of an agreement/MOI then any type of law?

BC's coast is a defining feature of this province with unparalleled beauty and value to local economies. As part of #30x30, BC will work with partners to protect 30% of BC’s coast from Campbell River to the BC-Alaska border by 2030.

The history of MaPP and the North/Central Coasts MPA process started with PNCIMA and Harper actions circa 2011.

Since Harper's favourite pet project that likely paid him, his wife and/or the Conservative Party (the drama teachers is Trans Mountain) was Enbridge - he didn't want any marine planning process interfering with tankers entering the North Coast/Kitimat. So he arbitrarily & unilaterally pulled the feds out of that process and crashed it:

After that - the participants - minus the feds - reinvented the process now called MaPP late 2011:

This is the outcome of that process - whether anyone believes in MPAs or not. The substantial commercial fishing interests within the various FNs on the North/Central Coasts are also affected by the design and implementation.

Last edited:
FYI, right now they are looking at the rest of the areas.
yup, where you fish.

FYI, right now they are looking at the rest of the areas.
yup, where you fish.

back when it was being explored i know a lot of areas that hold bait were on the list, same areas that were popular fishing spots but i have no idea how its evolved since then.

This is the outcome of that process - whether anyone believes in MPAs or not. The substantial commercial fishing interests within the various FNs on the North/Central Coasts are also affected by the design and implementation.

as a First nation fellow said to me this year, they already on top of this bro

"it's complicated and mired in the structure of Comprehensive Fisheries Agreements, aka economic opportunities (EO). These mechanisms are from the 1990s, archaic and DFO and the Minister have no desire or mandate to change. INSANITY at its best. DFO doesn't deem FN sale fisheries as commercial. Now for the complication. DFO/Canada will not separate FSC and EO allocations with in a CFA. Sorry about the acronyms. Nations have been pleading for CFA reform for a decade. FSC and EO allocations come as a package deal and everything is based on your FSC base imposed allocations. DFO will not waver from this. So why would Nations pursue more EO allocation to risk FSC? The other risk is that every time a Nation signs a CFA they are subject to the terms of that contract vs rights based fisheries under FSC where DFO has a fiduciary obligation. There is not a desire to sell more FSC. There is a desire for Nations to participate in economic fisheries and define that as part of the social component that is entrenched in FSC. Nations didnt define FSC. Canada and the judge in Sparrow did."

put that in you pipe and smoke it

Ya - it's a complicated mess how DFO allocates and regulates fisheries & TACs. Another glitch not normally mentioned in these MPA announcements is how largely a Provincial/FN agreement based largely under the Provincial Lands Act can regulate federal fisheries happening on the federal water column. Maybe that's what this newest announcement is all about - wrapping the MPAs into federal legislation under the Oceans Act? Not sure what the next steps are, myself.

Back