An MPA Network for the Northern Shelf Bioregion

The history of MaPP and the North/Central Coasts MPA process started with PNCIMA and Harper actions circa 2011.

Since Harper's favourite pet project that likely paid him, his wife and/or the Conservative Party (the drama teachers is Trans Mountain) was Enbridge - he didn't want any marine planning process interfering with tankers entering the North Coast/Kitimat. So he arbitrarily & unilaterally pulled the feds out of that process and crashed it:

After that - the participants - minus the feds - reinvented the process now called MaPP late 2011:

This is the outcome of that process - whether anyone believes in MPAs or not. The substantial commercial fishing interests within the various FNs on the North/Central Coasts are also affected by the design and implementation.

When are we going to have a real third option in government. Both groups and leaders are absolutely garbage. These two governments just keep making fisheries worse.

I am with you I think there is more running in background then we know. Very concerned on the process here.

When are we going to have a real third option in government. Both groups and leaders are absolutely garbage. These two governments just keep making fisheries worse.

I am with you I think there is more running in background then we know. Very concerned on the process here.
Agreed totally.
13y9io.jpg

Great points in the pod cast. Why do we need to close areas to fishing if the fishery is managed in a sustainable science backed way ?? Closures for the sake of closures and everyone feels good especially the ENGO's.

Great points in the pod cast. Why do we need to close areas to fishing if the fishery is managed in a sustainable science backed way ?? Closures for the sake of closures and everyone feels good especially the ENGO's.
Not closed to FN.

In some of the documents I’ve seen from oceans Canada group working on it fsc was exempt in a lot of the areas.
Correct WMY " Management by skin colour it seems......
  • Bottom trawling for Indigenous food, social, and ceremonial purposes and for scientific research purposes may be allowed within MPAs where it does not pose a significant risk to the MPA's conservation objectives."

Back