Amundson Trend Reel

sudsy

Looking at buying a new reel this year, After talking to some people and seeing the internals side by side, looks like this Amundson Trend reel is the closest islander replica on the market. The internals look identical side by side, just wondering if anyone has been running these and what people have to say about them? I did look at the Trophy XL aswell, looks nice on the outside but lacks the same quality on the inside....i havent ran any of these so im just going on what people have told me and what i have seen in the stores with my own eyes, im hoping some poeple on here who actually run the gear can give me some feedback before i go out and make the purchase.

thanks

I will be putting one to serious use this Monday and will let you know!

Hey Sudsy
long time no see.
I picked one up this summer and have used it quite a lot with my MR3 on the other side of the boat. Here's the scoop:

The original clicker spring went on me 2x within a week, the second time it stopped the reel and almost lost me a fish.
River Sportsmen replaced the Amuds spring with an Islander spring and I have had no fouling with it since (just over 2 months now).
- I don't like the little nobs as nice as the MR3's but Mike at River's (or yourself) can put black surgical tubing over them to make them thicker and easier to grip, I hear it makes a big difference.
- In the past I have had and used the Trophy knock off's along with the TFO's and even the North Coasts by Rapala and I ended up selling all of these reels within months of purchasing as they all gave me grief.
- I LOVE the drag knob on these units my MR3's have sharp edges on the drag knob and every now and again someone gets a cut (though not many) these ones are round and smooth - good mod.
- So far so good on the Amudson I have given it sufficient time on the water now and caught lots of fish with it and other than the above I have no gripes with it. In fact I really like them especially at the $250 price point. Inside the unit is so similar to Islander I can barely tell them apart.

I would suggest picking them up at River's Sportsmen here in town and if/when the clicker goes just get them to put the islander one in and you are good to go. For those that haven't seen the reels check them out.

i went through 3 amundson rods within 4 weeks. the tips kept breaking off. about 4 inches of tip too.. i was not impressed.. i have also heard that the reels creep when trolling at depths greater than 100 feet..

Hey Sudsy
long time no see.
I picked one up this summer and have used it quite a lot with my MR3 on the other side of the boat. Here's the scoop:

The original clicker spring went on me 2x within a week, the second time it stopped the reel and almost lost me a fish.
River Sportsmen replaced the Amuds spring with an Islander spring and I have had no fouling with it since (just over 2 months now).
- I don't like the little nobs as nice as the MR3's but Mike at River's (or yourself) can put black surgical tubing over them to make them thicker and easier to grip, I hear it makes a big difference.
- In the past I have had and used the Trophy knock off's along with the TFO's and even the North Coasts by Rapala and I ended up selling all of these reels within months of purchasing as they all gave me grief.
- I LOVE the drag knob on these units my MR3's have sharp edges on the drag knob and every now and again someone gets a cut (though not many) these ones are round and smooth - good mod.
- So far so good on the Amudson I have given it sufficient time on the water now and caught lots of fish with it and other than the above I have no gripes with it. In fact I really like them especially at the $250 price point. Inside the unit is so similar to Islander I can barely tell them apart.

I would suggest picking them up at River's Sportsmen here in town and if/when the clicker goes just get them to put the islander one in and you are good to go. For those that haven't seen the reels check them out.

Hey thanks for the info, definetly going to pick one up, il be up in campbell river august long weekend so il pop in to river sportsman, cant get them for under 300 here in victoria.

i have also heard that the reels creep when trolling at depths greater than 100 feet..

over the years I have had 7 different MR3's some of them creep a little down deep some of them don't and some creep real bad.
Currently I have 1 that does creep and one that doesn't. My Amundson will creep when the tide gets really moving and I am down 200 or more but so does the MR3 on the other side of the boat. When the tide isn't pulling that hard neither of them are creeping.

If you have the money I would always go for the Islander that's my 2 cents but for the price and what I've got out of the Amundson so far it's the best knock off I've used. I have only used 1 of them so this could be a good unit and there could be bad ones out there, but so far I'm happy with mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
saw the demo of the rod/ reel at the boat show here in victoria... i was impressed. cuirious - how much does the rods go for?

sea envy - you said you went through a couple of rods... how did they break? did amundson refund you?

Back