Aluminum hulls what bolts to use?

JAC

Are you guys with non painted hulls running nylon washers between stainless nuts and bolts? I Have bought some aluminum nuts and bolts I'm going to give a try anyone ever use them?

I mostly use Tef-gel on all the stainless hardware. It's liquid Teflon tape. Works great on the threads that might contact the aluminum. I would question the strength of aluminum hardware? I have never used any so I am curious now.

In certain situations aluminum hardware will work just fine. But use common sense if it has excessive strain they may fail. I use quite a few 1/4" and 3/16" aluminum pop rivets as well but again only in applications where the strain on the item is limited. I also always coat the threads of ss fasteners with Omc gasket sealer to prevent dissimilar metal corrosion as well.

I'm going was going to try them on the trim tabs I'm installing. There will be many bolts holding the tabs down.

alum bolts and alum hulls are still dis-similar metals bec the alloys are different - I would pass on those bolts if I be you

Just my two cents,

I work in the aviation field and we use cadmium plated steel bolts into aluminum all over the helicopters without corrosion issues...could also install the bolts with a bit of "wet" zinc chromate primer..

Just my two cents,

I work in the aviation field and we use cadmium plated steel bolts into aluminum all over the helicopters without corrosion issues...could also install the bolts with a bit of "wet" zinc chromate primer..

Agreed. I work in the commercial glass business and all of our framing is aluminum. We only use CAD plated or Stainless steel. No issues at all. Stainless is fine against aluminum

If you really want to get crazy just use lots of sikaflex and nylon washers on the bolt head side and nut side. Oversize the hole a 1/16" and make sure the shank of the bolt is liberally covered in sikaflex. This way none of the stainless will touch the aluminum. this is how every fastener on the boat we built for mexico was put together.

Good Quality SS fasteners and Tef-Gel if you can find it or Lanocote which is basically an equivalent! Stuff is really a bit of a pain to coat everything, but makes it last. Great for electrical connectors as well.

We use Teflon paste with our irrigation systems that sound like this Tef gel that others have use and it's a lot cheaper.

I have plastic washer between all my stainless bolts and have coated them with silicon before installing them. I will continue to do that

I use stainless nuts, bolts ,washers etc.,,

I coat them all with marine-grade clear silicon and then assemble......wipe off excess after assembly.

Stainless eat aluminum (it is a galvanic issue). Passivated stainless fasteners installed with marine sealant will cause the least amount of issues in the marine environment.

Back