Aluminum Boat Makes???

I have a 20' sea runner et st. I run a 150 Yammy and a 9.9 Yammy both 4 strokes. The boat came with a 115 but I opted to get the 150 instead and am glad I did, better to have it if you need it and easier on the motor overall. On plane immediately and tops out at around 43-45 mph with gear and 2 guys. Very very happy with Hewes, no regrets at all. Having said that most of the manufacturers mentioned in the thread earlier make great boats as well. I've said it before and I'll say it again, #1 selling aluminum boat in Alaska must mean something.

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

I have a 27' lifetimer for sale with a recent survey. PM me and I can forward the info to you.

A 20SR max power is 200hp.

quote:Originally posted by AlK

Larry,
Thanks,that is good information. What kind of power do you have on your 22', and do you have any idea what the minimum power should be on a 20'?

JUST FISHEN'

I found what I thought looked to be a good deal on a 20' Alumaweld Intruder</u>, but it only has a 90 HP Honda 4 stroke</u>. Am I right in thinking its underpowered?

I like to fish out of Ucluelet.

What does one have to look out for in buying a used Alumaweld? I've seen references to concerns about their floation and possible corrosion under the flotation but cannot find any details??

i dont know if anybody has mentioned Broadwater - i first saw them in winter harbour the"outpost" runs them and my friend who i fish with regualary had one custom built - its a fishing machine they have the better hull -reverse chine -sharper angle- he had another aluminum boat with a shallow angle- almost flat compared to this boat and it pounded hard in chop and rough waterhttp://www.broadwater.bc.ca/Main.html so he had it built and had a good excuse to go up and fish around prince rupert and the QC ive seen a couple now on the island -just my 2cents

lordofthesprings

RBV--- I run a 20ft Alumaweld Intruder with a 115 Merc 4 stroke. Its minimal power for this boat. A 90 would be way underpowered. Best fit seems to be a 150hp.

As far as the corrosion aspect-- its common to all aluminum boats. While paint protects for a while, eventually there will be corrosion under the paint. As far a corrosion under the foam--- yes, its a possibility in any tin boat that allows saltwater to get under the foam. Check out this thread from iFish in Oregon

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?p=1100878

After 3 years the only corrosion I can see on my boat is a "patina" developing from the salt exposure. No worries here.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Thanks Cuba Libre!

I figured that the lack of power might be why the price seemed a bit low.

I went from a 18' foot legend aluminum to a 2525 Harbor craft. unless your guiding on the west coast aluminum is the way to go.To many pro's versus only one con, ride ( in rough seas ) my only suggestion is which ever boat you do purchase make sure it has trim tabs. This will improve ride comfort in seas 1 to 3 feet depending on boat size.

Back