Almost swamped at the Cap

Um, its bad manners to fish w/van/cap without downriggers?
Really?
News to me. Only been doing it for 20 years without a problem. Maybe the 'new fellas who depend on downriggers & such need to learn some manners?

quote:Originally posted by Brisco

Oppi, I was careful not to mention the boat name because of what you just mentioned. But we do need to teach some people manners in the water. People are not allways aware of their actions, like trolling the Cap with no downriggers and letting their lines 500 feet back!

Good for you "J"! Stick your neck out! [^] This is what makes this forum tick! ;) It's a question of old techniques meeting new and the problems that could arise when the two meet at the "Zoo" (i.e. the Cap in August and September). I'd like to read this exchange...
Oppi

J-Global, Of course you can fish without riggers. I'm talking about putting on a 4 ounce weight and bombing around at 8 knots with your line back 500 feet. In crowded conditions this creates problems.There are many options and I am sure you are well aware of all of them.

"J" and Brisco,

This is a moral dilemma! Both of you have very good points and are still at odds! There's no doubt that using the "old style" trolling in the kind of dense crowd that has unfortunately become the "norm" at certain places during certain times of the year is going to create problems. But old style trollers are not the only ones creating problems in places like that. The "crowd" itself is a problem... I think... and is the reason I usually avoid going there during those times... or fish it for an hour or two REALLY EARLY in the morning when most of the yahoos are still sleeping!

Also, I don't troll "old style", but is there not something to be said about "respect" for traditional methods? Why should traditional fishing techniques be excluded during the best times of the year? In Campbell River, the famous and historical "Tyee Pool" has been a huge success precisely because it is exclusively reserved for "traditional" NO POWER fishing from July 15th to September 15th! Is it time to look at regulating the mouth of the Cap (and other places like it in British Columbia) along similar lines? Hmm... I think I'd get a row boat if they did... and wouldn't that be fun!? :)

Oppi

Ps: perhaps it's time to start a new TOPIC. I'd love to hear what others have to say!?

Row?;)I say God bless the internal combustion engine and new fishing technology. But i've never said I was the one who put the sport in sport fishing!;)

Hey guys, I am a Bayliner owner. Love the boat, { a 20 foot cuddy }
I am also a power squadron member and see many idiots out there. I wish they made it manditory to take the course to get the license. Unfortunately it is only a money grab as anyone can write the test on line and there is no way of knowing who is actually answering the questions. The best short story about an idiot was off the light house at Quadra Island. A commercial fishing boat was bearing down on a small 14 foot boat and looked like he might go right through him. To everyones surprise the small boat operator stood up and pulled out a 12 guage and pointed it at the commercial boat, Yup he turned real fast... Had to laugh as the little boat must of been there before. So have a great day, not all bayliner owners are jerks.

I'm really sorry I offended so many people,I don't believe Bayliner owners are any better or worse than others.It could just as well have been 3 Gradys or maybe Double Eagles?

Remember when almost everyone used cut-plug,whole herring or a lure?NO downriggers,thats what the commercial guys used!How things change.Now I feel like black sheep when the mootching gear comes out,..You may feel a cold stare from your fellow anglers..what are you doing fishing in my favorite piece of water!??..just my 2bits.WILDWEST....

Brisco, looks like you really started an interesting debate here. Glad you did, it's been entertaining reading them all.Thanks
See you on the water[8D]
Mikiki

Wild west
I remember back in the late 70's and early 80's, the majority of our fishing was mooching with live herring and we only would troll in the late afternoon or when we were looking for bait schools and the fish. It was a very exciting way to fish.
The old man would make us sit and wait until the tip of the 11 foot rod was almost in the water before we would set the hook.
I remmeber more than one fight breaking out down at Sewell's at the live bait nets...those were the days.
Can you even get live bait anymore...i havent launched out of Horseshoe Bay in years?

YES... it's been an interesting and enetertaining thread! Let's take off on the latest issue using a new TOPIC! :)

Oppi

Back