All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is bad fellas, we don't what this here in BC. We can't get to the point that contact tracers can't keep up with the cases.
EmGTNSBX0AA4S8F

From the news reports it sounds as if our contact tracing in bc is unable to keep up as well...notifying contacts 7 days after learning of test positives...which is beyond useless. 99% are contagious and spreading it further by then.

This virus spreads quietly though asymptomatic people till it builds in a community for weeks by the time people start getting testing and symptoms it’s been spreading for weeks. By the time test results start coming in your 3 weeks behind the ball.

the fact that nursing homes are still having outbreaks tells the story. They have been on pretty stick lock downs but it’s still getting into them. It’s not that our seniors are going out and partying and bring it back. It’s that perfectly healthy people are bringing it in that have no stymptoms and don’t even no they are spreading it.

this virus spreads though contacts. Limit the contacts limit the virus. Not easy tho when BC is operating pretty much as business as usual.

maybe the case count will scare people to stay home but I doubt it. Was a lot Easier to stay home when the government was paying people too.

Recent Domestic Flights
View all flights with a confirmed COVID-19 case

upload_2020-11-5_19-55-13.jpeg

Last edited:
From the news reports it sounds as if our contact tracing in bc is unable to keep up as well...notifying contacts 7 days after learning of test positives...which is beyond useless. 99% are contagious and spreading it further by then.
I think you are referring to a report from Fraser Health Region that the contract testing was falling behind due to staff shortage. I heard that extra staff have been moved there to pick up the slack. You maybe referring to something else that I have not heard though.

Q&A from Wednesday

This new case is within a mile of me.

https://www.comoxvalleyrecord.com/news/comox-taphouse-closes-temporarily-after-covid-test/

A Comox pub has closed its doors temporarily as a precaution after an employee’s COVID-19 test.

Church St. Taphouse announced on its Facebook page Wednesday, Nov. 4, that it did not open that morning after a staff member tested positive for COVID-19. The employee is in self-isolation.

“We have not been advised by Island Health to close, but for the safety of our employees and guests, it is the most responsible thing to do,” co-owner and general manager Chris Morrison said on Facebook.

He told the Record in an email Thursday morning that the restaurant is still closed today and hopes to re-open Friday.

The employee last worked a shift on Tuesday, Oct. 27 from 5 to 11 p.m., was wearing a mask and did not show any symptoms. The previous shift was at lunch on Oct. 22.

“It was a bit of a shock to hear the news and we are gathering as much information on the timeline of events; we are speaking directly with Island Health to enquire about any additional recommended next steps,” Morrison said on the post.

The Record recently spoke with the region’s medical health officer, Dr. Charmaine Enns, about the importance of contact tracing and the difference between actual COVID-19 cases, close contacts and casual contacts. Most information about contacts is gathered from the person who tests positive, or the ‘case,’ but in some circumstances, public health officials may need more information about potential community transmissions and release a notice to the public.

In a further statement, Island Health sent a statement: “Contact tracing from Island Health’s public health team ensures anyone with a potentially close contact exposure to a confirmed case is followed up with. A close contact exposure means face-to-face contact while a person is infectious for an extended period of time. When public health officials cannot be certain they have reached all those who need to be contacted and there may be a risk to the public, we issue a public notification. We currently have no public notifications.”

New BC Data Portal

Canadian and Global Epidemiology Dashboard
This interactive tool visualizes the COVID-19 epidemiology in B.C. in comparison to other jurisdictions. It is updated twice weekly, on Tuesdays and Fridays.
https://bccdc.shinyapps.io/covid19_global_epi_app/

Restrictions focus on social interactions, travel, indoor group exercise and workplaces

British Columbia's top health officials have announced sweeping new COVID-19 restrictions for the Vancouver Coastal Health and Fraser Health regions for a two-week period as cases in the province surge.

The new orders focus on social gatherings, travel, indoor group exercises and workplaces.

"We need to keep essential services and activities from schools to workplaces open and operating safely. And right now this is in jeopardy," said Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry at a rare Saturday briefing.

Residents of the two affected health regions are being told not to engage in social interactions outside their immediate households. Weddings and funerals can proceed, as long as they include only immediate household members.

She said people who live alone can maintain a small bubble of one to two people, but that advice does not apply to people who live in a larger household.

Henry strongly recommended that travel in and out of the Fraser Health region and Vancouver Coastal Health region be limited to essential travel only.

The new public health orders are in effect from Saturday night at 10 p.m. to Monday Nov. 23 at noon. A number of communities in the health authorities are exempt including Hope, Bella Coola, the Central Coast, Sunshine Coast and Howe Sound areas.

More:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...-regions-for-2-weeks-as-cases-surge-1.5793969

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/...IFICATION_BCGOVNEWS_BCGOV_EN_BC__NOTIFICATION

By order of the Provincial Health Officer (PHO), all individuals, places of work and businesses in the Lower Mainland must significantly reduce their level of social interactions.

Last updated: November 7, 2020

PHO order on limiting social interactions in the Lower Mainland
By order of the PHO, all individuals, places of work and businesses within the Vancouver Coastal Health and Fraser Health regions must significantly reduce social interactions.

The order is in effect from November 7, 2020 at 10 pm to November 23, 2020 at 12 pm.

Social interactions and gatherings
Socialize only with those in your immediate household. No gatherings of any size.

• Do not invite friends or family to your household
Funerals and weddings may proceed with your immediate household only.

• Funeral or wedding receptions at any location are not allowed, including reception events held at community-based venues
  • This includes events of fewer than 50 people
Group physical activities
Businesses, recreation centres or other organizations that organize or operate indoor group physical activities must suspend these activities. This includes:

• Spin classes
  • Yoga
  • Group fitness
  • Dance classes
  • Any other group indoor activity that increases the respiratory rate
Indoor sports where physical distancing cannot be maintained are suspended. This includes activities like:

• Boxing
  • Martial arts
  • Hockey
  • Volleyball
  • Basketball
These activities can be replaced with individual exercise or practice that allows everyone to maintains a safe physical distance.

Indoor group physical activities can only resume when the business has updated their COVID-19 safety plan and received plan approval from their local Medical Health Officer.

Workplace safety
All businesses and worksites must conduct active daily in-person screening of all onsite workers using the COVID-19 symptom check list that is part of every business restart safety plan.

• Workplaces must ensure that all workers and customers maintain appropriate physical distance and wear masks when appropriate
  • Extra care should be taken in small office spaces, break rooms and kitchens
Party-buses and limousines
Party-buses and group limousines must stop operations immediately. Resuming operations is at the discretion of the PHO and may extend beyond November 23, 2020 at 12pm.

Vancouver Coastal Health and Fraser Health regions:

• Abbotsford
  • Agassiz
  • Burnaby
  • Chilliwack
  • Coquitlam
  • Delta
  • Langley
  • Lions Bay
  • Maple Ridge
  • Mission
  • New Westminster
  • North Vancouver
  • Pemberton
  • Pitt Meadows
  • Port Coquitlam
  • Port Moody
  • Richmond
  • Surrey
  • Squamish
  • Vancouver
  • West Vancouver
  • Whistler
  • White Rock
Exempt communities
The following communities are not included in the order:

• Hope
  • Central Coast Regional District
  • Bella Coola Valley
  • Sunshine Coast Regional District
  • Powell River
  • Howe Sound
Enforcement
During a public health emergency under the Public Health Act, the PHO can make orders as needed. You must follow the orders.

Orders can be enforced by police or other compliance and enforcement officials. People who don't follow the order could be fined.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...-regions-for-2-weeks-as-cases-surge-1.5793969

It’s a nothing burger, I’ll continue to go to work as usual, send my kids to school as usual and have the few people I normally have over as usual

Seems like they are trying to get the case count down before everyone starts to travel around the province for Christmas

Well, I think she was pretty clear that no further social gatherings at your home after tonight. I am not going to be able to do an even next weekend for my Dad's 60th. We will reschedule, we were to go to Whistler for the weekend and they are from the Sunshine Coast. So, i think there will be some impact for sure.

I know many people that have cancelled a number of planned small gatherings over the next week.

Hope it helps.

The thing is people are becoming fatigued about constant Bad News already and then looking at other places like Spain with their months-long lockdowns where numbers are still high/ it appears to not have worked it's easier & easier to tune out the scolding & finger wagging.

a person from Vancouver can’t go visit someone on the island but A person from Alberta can.

regional orders were not successful in Europe, they were successful in Australia between provinces but they put in hard borders. Preventing travel in and out. Regional measures worked in New York to bend the curve but they went into stay at home orders and it took far longer then 2 weeks.

this 2 week thing is nothing more then an experiment.

Remember how successful our last lockdown was ? We almost killed the virus eh boys. It's laughable that our 'top doctors' are advocating that a virus can be controlled. LIVING is more important than staying alive. I'll be continuing on, advocating to my kids to live a zestful life, not a fearful one. If anyone wants to come for a BBQ, I'll have a nice rum punch bowl on Masters Sunday, but remember drinking can kill you. People are getting wise to the actual data and unless they start shooting people, we will be human, assess the risk, and LIVE.

Here's an alternative opinion from a credible expert, not just a pissed off tax paying logical citizen.

https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion...ovid-19-itself-says-infectious-disease-expert

Remember how successful our last lockdown was ? We almost killed the virus eh boys. It's laughable that our 'top doctors' are advocating that a virus can be controlled. LIVING is more important than staying alive. I'll be continuing on, advocating to my kids to live a zestful life, not a fearful one. If anyone wants to come for a BBQ, I'll have a nice rum punch bowl on Masters Sunday, but remember drinking can kill you. People are getting wise to the actual data and unless they start shooting people, we will be human, assess the risk, and LIVE.

Here's an alternative opinion from a credible expert, not just a pissed off tax paying logical citizen.

https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion...ovid-19-itself-says-infectious-disease-expert

So you think the Great Barrington (let her rip) Declaration is the smart move do you. Funny how they have even backed off on their own nonsense of herd immunity now that the medical community weighed in. Talk about lighting your reputation on fire for such a dumb idea. They would have done better if they would have talked to their peers before letting the public read that "declaration". Maybe they would have put more thought into it and went, yea bad idea.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back