All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. I stopped into a Tim Hortons in Langford today. Not one mask in the place.
Places I go in Colwood and other areas on the Island people are fully aware of proper Covid precautions and most are wearing masks indoors.
"Not one mask in the place" including employees??? I very much doubt that.

Places I go in Colwood and other areas on the Island people are fully aware of proper Covid precautions and most are wearing masks indoors.
"Not one mask in the place" including employees??? I very much doubt that.
I didn't take any pictures but it struck me when I looked around at the diners or customers or whatever. I was surprised that the guy I was with didn't put on a mask to go in, so I was looking at the other customers to see if they were all masked up and staring at us, but nobody was.

Since he'd ordered by app and we just walked in to pick stuff up, I didn't really interact with or look at anyone behind the counter; maybe they were all wearing masks, I don't know. But there were about a dozen customers and definitely not a single mask...once I saw three or four non-masked customers I looked around the room for anybody in a mask. Nobody was wearing one. This was a Tim Hortons on Goldstream basically at Strathmore Rd, I think it was called.

Well sure, but the line of people, the people walking in and out...I was surprised because the Starbucks I go to once a month or so in Nanaimo makes people mask up when they come in, and as they order, and wait for their stuff. Basically until they sit down, at which point thankfully the magic takes over and everything is safe again.

But nobody while I was there was masked up for entry, for ordering, for waiting...they were all just hanging around. I don't personally care, it just struck me as interesting.

Just now. What **** show.

View attachment 58616

Yup.....been especially challenging for my family as my Dad is in palliative care at St. Boniface Hospital with pancreatic cancer. I have been back a number of times since August but with recommendation of no travel out of Vancouver Coastal and the lock down in Wpg I am stuck now for a while. Add to that flying in with possible exposure on the plane or elsewhere it makes me cautious as the last thing I want is to bring C-19 into the palliative unit as they've had outbreaks on 3 different units thus far.

When they went back into code red a couple of weeks back they said our family "list" allowed to see my Dad would be whittled from 4 back down to only 1 individual period. I have been able to get exemptions when I have travelled back or I just tell them at registration I am my brother in law as he is one of the four family members on the list and they don't check ID. Fortunately my sister got on the phone and they have made an exemption to keep the list at 4. Only visitors allowed in are for end of life patients, labour and delivery visits and pediatrics.

Yup.....been especially challenging for my family as my Dad is in palliative care at St. Boniface Hospital with pancreatic cancer. I have been back a number of times since August but with recommendation of no travel out of Vancouver Coastal and the lock down in Wpg I am stuck now for a while. Add to that flying in with possible exposure on the plane or elsewhere it makes me cautious as the last thing I want is to bring C-19 into the palliative unit as they've had outbreaks on 3 different units thus far.

When they went back into code red a couple of weeks back they said our family "list" allowed to see my Dad would be whittled from 4 back down to only 1 individual period. I have been able to get exemptions when I have travelled back or I just tell them at registration I am my brother in law as he is one of the four family members on the list and they don't check ID. Fortunately my sister got on the phone and they have made an exemption to keep the list at 4. Only visitors allowed in are for end of life patients, labour and delivery visits and pediatrics.
I don’t understand why we don’t have more quick COVID tests available . In your situation it should be as simple as testing everyone before they enter the building. There are people
In the states in certain industries testing every day and the results are fast. For something like having a family member in palliative care it’s ******** that it’s this hard to see them.

I am glad CFIB pushed back on Trudeau's comments today. This is 100 percent correct, and Ottawa needs to start listening to the business community. These lock downs will crush small business. Funny hey a small retail business can't stay open but Costco and Walmart are open for business. mmmm.

https://www.cfib-fcei.ca/en/media/n...inesses-far-too-fragile-survive-another-round

CFIB statement: Many small businesses far too fragile to survive another round of lockdowns

Toronto, November 10, 2020 – As cities, provinces and the federal government move toward new business closures in many parts of the country, the Canadian Federation of Independent Business (CFIB) urges them to provide immediate and full financial support to affected businesses. Today’s lockdown in Manitoba is nearly as comprehensive as the March shut-down, but small businesses are far more fragile today. Earlier CFIB estimates suggest 160,000 businesses across Canada may permanently close due to COVID-19, with the potential for the number to rise to 225,000.

IMPROVED FEDERAL SUPPORT URGENTLY NEEDED:
While some federal government programs are delivering needed support and further positive reforms are before the House of Commons right now, Canada’s programs are just not ready to deliver enough aid to small businesses affected by a second round of full or partial closures. Earlier today, the Prime Minister said no provincial leader should ease public health measures because they are feeling pressure not to shut down businesses as federal programs are in place to support those businesses impacted by any shutdown orders.

CFIB notes that:

• There is currently no program in place to support paying rent and the new, improved Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy (CERS) program is in the draft legislative stage.
  • The generosity of the wage subsidy has been reduced from 75 to 65 per cent and there is no plan for an additional top-up for businesses affected by a second round of closures.
  • The previously announced expansion of the CEBA loan program by $20,000 with an additional $10,000 forgivable portion is not yet in effect.
  • Hundreds of thousands of small firms have fallen through the cracks of all federal programs and have received zero support. These include new firms and micro-sized businesses.
ADVICE FOR PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENTS:
Provincial governments need to give additional focus to the economic damage their policies have created. CFIB urges provinces to consider:
  • Limiting the use of any blanket lockdowns. Any business closures should be limited to sectors and regions where there is evidence to support them rather than using blanket measures to send a message to the public that COVID-19 is serious.
  • Sharing sectoral data regularly to allow the public to make safer consumer choices and help business owners understand the reasons for such measures.
  • If governments close or limit in-store retail as is happening in Manitoba, measures should be applied fairly. If a small business with only a few customers per day can’t sell t-shirts or TVs, crowded big box stores like Costco and Walmart shouldn’t be allowed to sell them either just because they have a grocery section.
  • Provide supplemental provincial support programs for small firms, including retroactive rent support for firms that qualified for but didn’t receive the Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance (CECRA) due to the lack of landlord participation.
“We are all in this together” means that business owners should not be asked to cover the costs of protecting society through fresh lockdowns of the of the economy alone. They need full, immediate and ongoing support in any jurisdiction where new restrictions are introduced.

- Dan Kelly, President, Canadian Federation of Independent Business (CFIB)

That sucks sorry to hear about your Dad...:(

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449

“Yes, face masks combined with other preventive measures, such as frequent hand-washing and social distancing, help slow the spread of the virus.”

Wear a mask when indoors everywhere damn it.
REALLY how hard it that?
I shows you are part of the solution, not the problem and don't give a damn!
Just like saving wild salmon…no easy answer and no one thing will solve the overall problem.

many jurisdictions have mask required and to my knowledge it hasn’t help bend the curve at all. Not an anti masker but this is true. Wear mine whenever at grocery store or most stores etc even though so far mandates haven’t shown to help flatten the curve.

Thanks for wearing your mask and setting an example.
There is a lot of evidence, from our friends down south, that tell us that yes masks help. Not going to post endless links but......
Here is a study that gives empirical evidence.
https://www.vumc.org/health-policy/...ic_files/Vanderbilt COVID19 Report-Oct 27.pdf

Hence why I said real world scenarios where mask mandates (key word mandates, Not studies) have seen it work. Yet to....
It doesn't get much more real then who ends up in hospital and that's what that study is.

It doesn't get much more real then who ends up in hospital and that's what that study is.

Bit of deflection. Show me the vast majority of mask mandate jurisdictions have seen big decreases In covid cases and I’ll Believe you... but don’t think you can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back