All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever so typical, he wants to claim the spotlight as being responsible for the whole show when things are going well.
Now that they aren't so much, he is already setting up the Provinces to absorb the blame.

Nog

Agree I can't listen to lies anymore. He wants us to shut down all our businesses yet refuses to help any of us. There are still about 50% of businesses that can't get anything including mine. Everytime he makes any announcement it gets implemented like 3 months later. How is that rent subsidy coming along? Or the extra 20% CEBA. Promises among promises that he doesn't deliver. CFIB is totally frustrated as he doesn't listen.

Last edited:
Yeah that was a super interesting article. Until we figure out why some people are super spreaders (not super duper, as my phone is convinced I am trying to say) I don't know exactly what we can do with the information, but that's extremely interesting. I'm very curious to know what the commonality is between super spreaders.
Moist talkers.

Yeah that was a super interesting article. Until we figure out why some people are super spreaders (not super duper, as my phone is convinced I am trying to say) I don't know exactly what we can do with the information, but that's extremely interesting. I'm very curious to know what the commonality is between super spreaders.
Something similar is happening with regions too. Some places just seem to be hotbeds for some reason, others barely have any community spread despite similar population and density. Certain parishes in Northern Italy were amazingly lethal despite demographics no different from neighboring ones far less affected.

In the south Okanagan it's almost like the virus doesn't exist. Penticton hospital serves a catchment of just over 100,000 people yet it still hasn't seen a COVID patient sick enough to be admitted, despite having an entire floor capable of negative pressure for infectious diseases. Stats from elsewhere infer that 200-300 people contract COVID for every one that gets symptoms bad enough to be hospitalized. Could it really be true we've had fewer than say 250 cases over 8 months in a population of 100,000? Seems too good to be true. Hope I don't put the jinx on things..

The commonality I see is that some people are so extroverted they can’t be alone for longer than 10 minutes. I know of someone that works in 3 different mid island hospitals. Earlier this week she wanted to go for a walk with my gf and kids. She told her she was on a tight timeline because she had a lunch date with one group, a walk planned after with another group and then dinner with another group of people. So in one day she was planning on meeting and hanging out with 4 different groups that are all unrelated. This happens multiple times per week in multiple towns. This is someone that is a health care worker that would rather put her own happiness first. Any mention about the virus and she claims these are all people within her bubble. I know you were wondering more about medically why someone spreads this virus better but quite honestly people like the one I explained I believe are the biggest problem we have. If she had COVID and didn’t know it , she could spread it to 100s of people just in a week and of anyone, a health care worker is probably most likely to get it. People are selfish.

I think its is time to start looking at what works and what doesn't. This time large shutdown will not work and think we need to start approaching things differently. The first time we needed to prepare and we knew this would come back in winter.

Spending millions on job training does nothing of all our businesses are shut down or bankrupt. We can't just shutdown everything. The economy will not be able to sustain it. Ottawa had ran out of money and so have provinces. They know it. Also you can make all the business programs in world but if customers are scared to go into businesses nothing will help. So why dunp the money in these programs. Especially when half can't get them?

I am 100 percent on protecting vulnarable. We can't let them die. But I am not sure this time I am onboard with government in second wave. They look lost right now.

What I would like to see it less media panic first off. Second stop of useless spending. Everyone move to masks when entering businesses. Invest heavily in contact tracing. Basically similar method to korea. Way more enforcement to those that break rules with actual teeth. No more playing nice.

Also test everyone not just a few. We tend to test when people just get sick and that seems too late.

Lastly way more funding and support for hospitals and staff. Same for mental health.

I suggest a middle ground approach is key this time.

Last edited:
The commonality I see is that some people are so extroverted they can’t be alone for longer than 10 minutes. I know of someone that works in 3 different mid island hospitals. Earlier this week she wanted to go for a walk with my gf and kids. She told her she was on a tight timeline because she had a lunch date with one group, a walk planned after with another group and then dinner with another group of people. So in one day she was planning on meeting and hanging out with 4 different groups that are all unrelated. This happens multiple times per week in multiple towns. This is someone that is a health care worker that would rather put her own happiness first. Any mention about the virus and she claims these are all people within her bubble. I know you were wondering more about medically why someone spreads this virus better but quite honestly people like the one I explained I believe are the biggest problem we have. If she had COVID and didn’t know it , she could spread it to 100s of people just in a week and of anyone, a health care worker is probably most likely to get it. People are selfish.
It's the same mentality that you see in mid winter when storms roll in and roads get freaky. Highways and police issue travel advisories and ask people to hold off on non essential travel. But people just continue on with their plans for the most part. They are going to xxx on Saturday and returning Sunday because its the weekend and they work mon to Fri. And so they end up with a multi hour death march (or in the ditch) and complain that maintenance contractors aren't doing their work properly. Never do they consider that waiting 12 or so hours to let the storm pass would have made a huge difference. Instead they're out there being part of the problem, making the road busier for the maintenance crews and the poor truckers who truly don't have much choice but to drive their routes and try to meet schedule.

The unthinking drivers don't even bother to consider if the trip is essential or not. It's what I was planning to do, I have good tires, I'm not afraid to drive in snow. You can't make me stay off the road.

Same mentality with some during the pandemic. They're not deliberately being contrary, they just want to keep doing what they always do. We always go to my mother's for Easter/Thanksgiving/Christmas. I need to visit my brother. Of course we are going to the wedding/funeral/anniversary/birthday/yoga class.

There's an element of selfishness to be sure, but as I've said before, for many this is a coping mechanism. They cling to the old landmarks and events as way to retain a bit of normalcy in a world far from normal. Same root cause behind pandemic deniers, conspiracy theorists, virus minimisers, mask warriors and the "spray everything" gang.

42 positive COVID-19 cases linked to Surrey gym
Nov 13, 2020

SURREY (NEWS 1130) — Forty-two people who recently worked or worked out at Surrey’s Platinum Fitness Club have tested positive for COVID-19, and the cases appear to have originated with people who did not self-isolate while awaiting test results.

According to a statement from Fraser Health Friday, anyone who was at the gym at any time between Oct. 21 and Nov. 7 must self-isolate for 14 days, starting from the date they were last at the facility.

“The site voluntarily closed on November 7, and will remain closed until Fraser Health completes contact tracing and follow-up site inspections, and determines that the business has adequate COVID-19 mitigation strategies in place to decrease the risk of future transmission of COVID-19 at that location,” the statement reads.

A post on the gym’s social media says the outbreak has been traced to people who were at the gym after they had been tested, but before they received results.

“After many discussions with Health Authorities (sic) it has come to our attention that some COVID positive patrons had attended the club while awaiting their test results. As a result we have to continue to remain closed to work with Fraser Health.”

No date for reopening has been set.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/11/13/42-positive-covid-19-cases-linked-to-surrey-gym/

That post says it all. They were obviously concerned enough to go for a test, but rather than wait for the results ( what 24hrs?), they decide to risk infecting everyone at their gym. When did this become OK? IMO the people who do this need to be punished, they knowingly risked other lives!

That post says it all. They were obviously concerned enough to go for a test, but rather than wait for the results ( what 24hrs?), they decide to risk infecting everyone at their gym. When did this become OK? IMO the people who do this need to be punished, they knowingly risked other lives!

naww instead just restrict the people who follow the rules more.

Masks will be mandatory at Costco starting tomorrow.
Hopefully others will follow the lead of Walmart and now Costco!

That's good. Rather where a mask than shut all the stores down. I hope all business just do it. If we all don't start doing these things they will just make us all stay home. No one wants that. Going to have to work through this until vaccine is ready.

Three Lower Mainland schools closed for 2 weeks amid COVID-19 transmission​

Three schools in the Fraser Health region have been told to close over concerns of COVID-19 transmission.

“A school outbreak is defined as a significant number of cases likely to have occurred onsite that extend beyond a classroom or administrative area such as a cohort, and exceptional measures are needed to control transmission,” reads a letter to parents posted to Tinney’s Twitter profile.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7463707/coronavirus-3-lower-mainland-schools-closed/

"mask mandates have not made a difference in the transmission of the virus in other jurisdictions" Bonnie Henry.... Sounds familiar...

Not anti mask, wear mine in a few locations, just showing once again a mandated mask policy doesn't change anything even though some on here think it does.

Mask wear is virtue signaling in two directions: proponents are showing they care about others. Non wearers use it to show how free and unafraid they are.

People who wear them outdoors show their lack of understanding of science.

"mask mandates have not made a difference in the transmission of the virus in other jurisdictions" Bonnie Henry.... Sounds familiar...

Not anti mask, wear mine in a few locations, just showing once again a mandated mask policy doesn't change anything even though some on here think it does.
November 17, 2020 info from Dr. Henry

Dr. Bonnie Henry on why masks are not universally mandated in B.C.​

"An order can never replace our personal commitment."

dr-bonnie-henry-covid-19-bc-nov-2020.jpg;w=960

Chief Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry provides an update on COVID-19 on November 16, 2020. In a guest op-ed, Dr. Henry explains why she has not made mask-wearing mandatory in the province. Photo: Province of British Columbia

British Columbians have been nimble in adapting their individual actions to slow the spread of COVID-19 in our communities over the last ten months, and it has had a big impact.

Our actions have helped keep our hospitals, schools and workplaces open - and protect the ones we love.

Such essential actions include maintaining a safe distance from others, cleaning our hands and staying home if we get sick. Using masks appropriately is another important example of an individual act that results in a collective good. Each of these is a layer of protection to guard against a virus that never rests.

Some people are asking when we will see masks mandated in B.C. The answer is that they already are. The mandate to use masks appropriately is a cornerstone of businesses' and organizations' COVID-19 safety plans, and is embedded in our health-care facilities' operational policies and restart protocols in other public institutions.

Despite how it might appear when we watch the news or go on social media, research shows that most of us in B.C. are doing the right things most of the time. Ordering universal mask use in all situations creates unnecessary challenges with enforcement and stigmatization. We need only look at the COVID-19 transmission rates in other jurisdictions that have tried using such orders to see what little benefit these orders by themselves have served. We also know that when orders and fines are in place, it is racialized people and those living in poverty or homeless who are most often targeted.

Each day, we are continuing to learn more about the virus and how it spreads. Right now, we are seeing rapid transmission in social gatherings where masks would not be worn anyway, in certain workplaces and risky indoor settings, like group fitness activities. Provincial health officer orders are always a last resort and we have used them carefully to address these recent trends.

The orders we have in place now complement our clear and expressed expectation that people will wear masks in indoor public places like shopping malls, stores, on ferries and transit.

Our orders also mandate that businesses and workplaces must have COVID-19 safety plans in place. These should include mask wearing, in addition to barriers, reduced numbers of people in spaces, screening of workers and the public and availability of hand cleaning and sanitation. Staff and customers must abide by these plans and businesses must offer virtual, online or contactless alternatives to customers who cannot wear a mask. COVID-19 safety plans are enforceable and something businesses and workplaces now plan for and have in place, in accordance with our orders.

We know that people want to do the right thing when they understand the reasons behind our thinking and have the tools they need to do what is asked of them. Mask use is important, and we need everyone to have the same understanding of our expectations. Wearing a mask will never eliminate all risks, but it is a significant part of the layers of protection that can help protect us, our loved ones and our community. Now more than ever, it is a measure we must all take.

An order can never replace our personal commitment. We need to be responsible for our own actions - that is how we all pull together. I wear a mask, and I expect each of you who can to wear one too.

Dr. Bonnie Henry is British Columbia's provincial health officer.
https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/...ks-are-not-universally-mandated-in-bc-2885200

Mask wear is virtue signaling in two directions: proponents are showing they care about others. Non wearers use it to show how free and unafraid they are.

People who wear them outdoors show their lack of understanding of science.
I don't think it's virtue signalling.....I think it comes down to ethics.
And yes I agree about people driving down the road in their cars alone wearing a mask, but I'm not going to judge them or their ability to understand science. It's what they are comfortable doing and by all means have at it.

Saskatchewan mandated masks today.It seems to put everyone on the same page and the ones that don't are not permitted to enter or are penalized but how can that really be enforced?,we are all wearing masks at work right now but is it making a difference?,hard to say because as whole our company has been very clear of this virus. Me personally I know my house is also clear as my wife just started her grtw at the hospital we both had to be tested so she could return to work.Really isn't it just a matter of diligence and doing the right thing?, as sportsmen we do the right thing when we release fish or don't injure game that is not in season why wouldn't we all be on board in doing the same for the human race. I have my own opinions as to why we don't but ill keep them to myself and keep on trying to do the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back