All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is bending the curve still a thing or we just gonna go head strong Sweden style now?

Henry acknowledged B.C.'s caseload is higher now than it was when the province began shutting down public services and businesses in March, but said health officials now understand much more about the virus, including how to track and prevent transmission.

"Shutting down is not an answer to things," Henry said, ”

or maybe they this graph tells the story or why they are not concerned.

View attachment 56269

I was just up in port hardy and was choked to find out covid killed one the places I like to eat at

View attachment 56271
This perfectly sums up my frustration with the whole C19 situation...I look at that graph and think, "man, that curve can't get much flatter." But there is still a certain fraction of the population who are demanding MORE steps be taken to curb the virus, and saying things like "why do you love businesses more than human lives?" when the businesses at risk aren't the Amazons and Walmarts of the world - those companies are rolling in money now, more than ever. The businesses at risk are these little mom and pop operations, and those businesses are somebody's life.

I'm not at all someone who doesn't think it's a real illness or that masks don't work (a theory I find surreal - it's just a respiratory virus, the same PPE works with it as every other coronavirus and rhinovirus and so on) but man, let's not pretend that living through this is like living through the Black Plague. Or even the London cholera outbreak. Or really, any historically noteworthy outbreak of disease. Our fatalities are in the dozens. I'm not saying the steps we've taken have been bad or wrong or that they aren't part of the reason we've only had about 200 people killed, just that 200 people, mostly in care homes already, is not exactly the apocalypse.

But there are real consequences to the response and it seems like everyone is acting as though it costs nothing to just keep tightening down restrictions. Well, it might be worth it and it might not, I'm not arguing the relative costs exceed the benefits or vice versa. But let's not pretend that there aren't some really serious downsides to our response. Small businesses like the restaurant above are at real risk and that's someone's livelihood. And the debt we're all racking up (or that is being racked up on our behalf, nobody actually consulted us about this) is going to be a drag on the economy for years or decades. All the money we have to spend to pay it back in the future is money that won't go to health care, won't go to education, won't go to new bridges or helicopters or whatever your favourite state purchases are.

I'm not trying to argue we should do nothing, or even that we should do things differently, necessarily...maybe we lucked out and are getting the most bang for our buck with this exact path, I don't know. I'm not an epidemiologist and an economist, and I think you'd have to be both to really give a good opinion on what's best here. But I am saying we need to take the consequences of our response seriously, because they will also have serious costs attached to them.

https://medium.com/@gregggonsalves/...oroquine-and-its-use-in-covid-19-47d0dee7b2b0

"...While minority opinions, anecdotal evidence, novel interpretations and challenges to orthodoxies in a field can be important, at some point, the application of the scientific method generating evidence from multiple, well-designed clinical trials and observational studies does matter and should be heard over the noise of conspiracy theories, purported hoaxes, and the views of zealots."

Signed,

Jason Abaluck, PhD

Associate Professor of Economics

Yale School of Management

Amy Bei, PhD

Assistant Professor of Epidemiology (Microbial Diseases)

Yale School of Public Health

Theodore Cohen, MD, DPH

Professor of Epidemiology (Microbial Diseases)

Co-director, Public Health Modeling Concentration

Gary V. Desir, MD

Paul B. Beeson Professor of Medicine

Vice Provost, Faculty Development and Diversity

Chair, Internal Medicine, Yale School of Medicine

Chief, Internal Medicine, Yale New Haven Hospital

Gail D’Onofrio MD

Professor & Chair, Emergency Medicine

Yale School of Medicine

Howard P. Forman, MD, MBA

Professor of Radiology & Public Health (Health Policy)

Yale School of Medicine

Professor in the Practice of Management

Alison Galvani, PhD

Burnett and Stender Families Professor of Epidemiology (Microbial Diseases)

Director of the Center for Infectious Disease Modeling and Analysis (CIDMA)

Gregg Gonsalves, PhD

Associate Professor (Adjunct) and Research Scholar

Yale Law School

Nathan D. Grubaugh, PhD

Roberta Hines, MD

Nicholas M. Greene Professor & Chair of Anesthesiology

Yale School of Medicine

Valerie Horsley, PhD

Associate Professor of Molecular, Cellular & Developmental Biology

Yale University

Akiko Iwasaki, PhD

Waldemar Von Zedtwitz Professor of Immunobiology and Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology

Yale School of Medicine

Professor of Molecular Cellular and Developmental Biology

Yale University

Amy Kapczynski, JD

Professor of Law

Yale Law School

Trace Kershaw, PhD

Department Chair and Susan Dwight Bliss Professor of Public Health (Social and Behavioral Sciences)

Albert I. Ko, MD

Professor of Epidemiology and Medicine and Chair of Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases

Stephen R. Latham, JD, PhD

Director, Interdisciplinary Center for Bioethics

Yale University

Brett Lindenbach, PhD

Associate Professor, Microbial Pathogenesis

Yale School of Medicine

Fiona Scott Morton, PhD

Theodore Nierenberg Professor of Economics

Ruslan Medzhitov, PhD

Sterling Professor of Immunobiology

Yale School of Medicine

Saad B. Omer, MBBS MPH PhD FIDSA

Professor of Medicine (Infectious Diseases),Yale School of Medicine

Adjunct Professor, Yale School of Nursing

Susan Dwight Bliss Professor of Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases, Yale School of Public Health

A. David Paltiel, PhD

Professor of Health Policy & Management

Sunil Parikh, MD, MPH

Associate Professor of Epidemiology and Medicine

Yale School of Medicine

Karen Santucci, MD

Professor & Chief, Pediatric Emergency Medicine

Yale School of Medicine

Marcella Nunez Smith, MD, MHS

Associate Professor, General Internal Medicine, Public Health, and Management

Yale School of Medicine

Director, Equity Research and Innovation Center

Daniel Weinberger, PhD

Associate Professor of Epidemiology (Microbial Diseases)

New map that shows the total case counts and the cases per 100K.
covid19_lha_cumulative_20200731_final.png

http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data

Last edited:
Thursday press conference. Video starts at the 31:41 minute.

We hit a new daily record yesterday and there seems to be no talks of another lockdown. Schools are going to open in a couple of weeks and at least on the surface things look like going back to “normalish”.
What has changed since March? Has the virus become less lethal or is it the economy that’s driving the governments’ actions?
I for one am sending my kids to school, not knowing enough about the safety risks to my family b/c I don’t think a 2nd lockdown would help our province. But for younger families who live with / close to the elderly parents, the combo of record Covid numbers and school openings isn’t a good thing.

What has changed. The virus is now much better understood. The curve was flattened to allow the health care system time to adapt to covid. There are now mechanisms to trace flare ups while keeping the the hospitalization rates low enough for the system to handle. Covid fatigue/economic hardship has set in for many in society so returning to lockdown mode is not an acceptable option unless things spin out of control.
If we can get through the next 6 months without any major flare ups we should be ok.
Time will tell.

They've run out of money.

Yep this basically it, heard on the radio yesterday that during covid the average government debt racked up between provincial and federal government across Canada is estimated be around 44k per person.

Cerb is ending, the message seems to be time to move on.

after all how can you shut down anything again if your cancelling then programs created to help with a shut down.

I know from talking to several business owners we can't afford a second round. Who do you think will pay for all of it?

The government knows that. I don't see another shut down, but I do see further issues with travel, and large indoor gatherings unfortunately.

We hit a new daily record yesterday and there seems to be no talks of another lockdown. Schools are going to open in a couple of weeks and at least on the surface things look like going back to “normalish”.
What has changed since March? Has the virus become less lethal or is it the economy that’s driving the governments’ actions?
I for one am sending my kids to school, not knowing enough about the safety risks to my family b/c I don’t think a 2nd lockdown would help our province. But for younger families who live with / close to the elderly parents, the combo of record Covid numbers and school openings isn’t a good thing.
Grown ups woke up. Realization set in, 62? people hospitalized in ALL Canada due to Covid, average age of death still 83? Real pain is about to start, whos up for paying their share of that est 40K each? Some countries announcing travel open and tourism starts with rules, not Canada yet. Mum and Dad still need to keep us all under their rules, protected and safe.

HM

Grown ups woke up. Realization set in, 62? people hospitalized in ALL Canada due to Covid, average age of death still 83? Real pain is about to start, whos up for paying their share of that est 40K each? Some countries announcing travel open and tourism starts with rules, not Canada yet. Mum and Dad still need to keep us all under their rules, protected and safe.

HM

I am glad they did. I have lot of people that age bracket 60 + , and people with other complications I would like around. Rather be poor than lose my loved ones just for material things can't take with me. Can't put a price tag on family. When they are gone they are gone.

The 1st round was successful not to overload the health care system. Lets hope 2nd round doesn't require any more adjustments to how things are now.

I am glad they did. I have lot of people that age bracket 60 + , and people with other complications I would like around. Rather be poor than lose my loved ones just for material things can't take with me. Can't put a price tag on family. When they are gone they are gone.

The 1st round was successful not to overload the health care system. Lets hope 2nd round doesn't require any more adjustments to how things are now.

Agreed whether it was good luck or well execution, we kept the hospitals from being overloaded. They keep opening things up while being mindful of new cases and hospitalizations. Personally, I was able to have a relatively normal summer doing the activities I usually do and spent some money in the BC economy (a fair bit actually). I don't foresee them closing things down further and just tweaking things as we go to keep the rates at a manageable level. We can be critical in hindsight for somethings for sure. However, as a whole, we are doing pretty ok compared to some of our peers.

The difference in what school districts are doing is mind boggling,

for example my son was in one but were in the middle of a move so know he’s in another. So we got plans from two different school districts

the first one, gave 4 options, full time in class, part time in class, home schooling with support or online.

where we are moving, they said it’s gonna be 30 kids to a class and they won’t be allowed to interact with kids in different classes. That’s what they think they still have to iron out the details and they are just waiting back on a survey they sent out to parents.

this is for kindergarten.

the only difference is I’m moving from a newer more expensive area to a older more poor area.

seems crazy there could be these difference but I guess it is what it is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back