All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not good... Let's hope we don't see that here.

Infection of dogs with SARS-CoV-2
Two out of fifteen dogs from households with confirmed human cases of COVID-19 in Hong Kong SAR were found to be infected using quantitative RT–PCR, serology, sequencing the viral genome, and in one dog, virus isolation.....
The evidence suggests that these are instances of human-to-animal transmission

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2334-5

Not good at all. It would be a nightmare if this thing got into the food supply; cattle, pigs, chickens etc. Hope the farmers/ranchers are being extra careful.

I can't remember if it was here or elsewhere...but I was spitballing a week or so back that conceivably this is a part of the explanation for the major impact on Quebec and Ontario, and the fact that we've basically had no issues: remember the weather in March and early April? Everyone was outside here. I bet not so much in the east. Conceivably there were fewer D-deficient people here at the time, although I would be surprised if that were a complete explanation, of course. Still, it's funny that Quebec did way more social distancing than we did, and our outdoor space usage increased so much while theirs dropped, and we have Vancouver, and uncontrolled travel to and from Wuhan for god knows how long...and yet here, nothing happened while they're taking a beating.

I don't generally get into vitamin supplements but I started taking vitamin D a couple of months back when we were still trying to figure out how seriously this thing would hit here, just in case it was bad. Obviously not too concerned now but we didn't know it was going to be so mild, so in the early days I thought it might be worth it, just in case. I had heard from some people working on this in the US that they were seeing a possible link to D and it's so cheap, I just figured why not.

You know, there's also an entertaining German study where they found that in men, low testosterone was linked to C19 complications.

Between these two factors, ironically, there's a case to be made that the polarization in the US response actually makes some sense. Macho outdoorsmen genuinely aren't at risk compared to soy-eating indoor urbanites, i.e. there's actually an argument that this won't really hit MAGA country the way it hits Hillarytown. So why not have one party for lockdown and one for opening up? In each case they're making fairly rational, self-interested arguments.

Before somebody goes demanding links and credentials to justify this take...forget it, it's a post on a fishing forum and not intended to be a regression analysis of the spread of the disease factoring in party affiliation. But for anyone who's interested, look it up. It's been known for a pretty long time that physiology is linked to voting patterns and that bigger, stronger men (i.e. higher testosterone) break a certain way politically.

So the people who want more lockdown might need more lockdown. The people who want less, might need less.
Ya, not really convinced that vitamin D, testosterone & political affiliation are indeed linked. Thanks for the chuckle, tho CR.

Instead - Vitamin D, melatonin, gut microbiota, and skin pigmentation are all linked. That should offer you & others some alternative theories tho.

Anyone know how the covid situation that we find ourselves in has affected the Alaska commercial fishery? Are they still fishing? Is anyone?

Ruff

Anyone know how the covid situation that we find ourselves in has affected the Alaska commercial fishery? Are they still fishing? Is anyone?

Ruff

I think they are ramping up from what I have read and expect to have a full salmon season but with reduced prices.

Not good at all. It would be a nightmare if this thing got into the food supply; cattle, pigs, chickens etc. Hope the farmers/ranchers are being extra careful.
Not sure if you mean that the virus would become food transmissible but everything I have read on that says that it is not. Another thing is that there has been no indication that cattle, pigs or chickens can be infected. I would be concerned with taking my unleashed dog to a park and have fido get it and then bring it home. At this point the study did say "It is unclear whether infected dogs can transmit the virus to other animals or back to humans." So let's a wait and see, there are good people working on all this.

I think the advice a couple weeks ago on dogs was to social distance them just like humans.

Reactions: GLG
ok, fair enough CR - but what did this mean then? "It's been known for a pretty long time that physiology is linked to voting patterns and that bigger, stronger men (i.e. higher testosterone) break a certain way politically."

Yes...

Harvard and MIT researchers are developing a face mask that lights up when it detects the coronavirus
The team is designing a face mask to produce a fluorescent signal when a person with the coronavirus breathes, coughs, or sneezes. If the technology proves successful, it could address flaws associated with other screening methods like temperature checks.
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-face-mask-light-up-screening-tool-test-2020-5

ok, fair enough CR - but what did this mean then? "It's been known for a pretty long time that physiology is linked to voting patterns and that bigger, stronger men (i.e. higher testosterone) break a certain way politically."
Lots of studies have shown that, so IF the testosterone-c19 complications study turns out to be replicable, you'd probably see a slight negative correlation between conservative political views and risk level from coronavirus (age adjusted of course; conservative views also tend to correlate with age so if you didn't factor that out, the effect would disappear - it's probably pretty faint if it's identifiable at all).

Well - to add to your perspective - if older people are assumed to be more "conservative" - yet the virus (as we know) is more lethal to the older age classes - then... it's not about testosterone - it's about age (and other factors around compromised immune systems).

oh - and the numbers from Quebec should support that theory as well - if memory serves - they has severe issues with transmission in seniors extended care facilities - that drove their numbers up - it wasn't the outdoor space comparison that drove the difference.

Down the states - if you factored in the "non-conforming" non-masked gun toters not practicing social distancing and looked @ risk factors - it's likely (IMHO) that self-identified party affiliation would then put them in a higher risk category. Been lots in the news about that lately.

Last edited:
Well - to add to your perspective - if older people are assumed to be more "conservative" - yet the virus (as we know) is more lethal to the older age classes - then... it's not about testosterone - it's about age (and other factors around compromised immune systems).

oh - and the numbers from Quebec should support that theory as well - if memory serves - they has severe issues with transmission in seniors extended care facilities - that drove their numbers up - it wasn't the outdoor space comparison that drove the difference.

Down the states - if you factored in the "non-conforming" non-masked gun toters not practicing social distancing and looked @ risk factors - it's likely (IMHO) that self-identified party affiliation would then put them in a higher risk category. Been lots in the news about that lately.
Again, age-adjusted for obvious reasons

I think this is a well written article. Interesting view point of the author. I appreciate how it dosent criticize and at the same time non biased. Time will judge

I thought you folks would like it.

https://www.macleans.ca/news/world/...ckdown-approach-more-strategic-than-it-seems/

It is not a bad article. Sweden took a contrarian approach. Time will tell. However, if you take the contrarian approach and it backfires that will not be appreciated by society. I hope for them that their approach works and that their long-term results are better or equal to their peers.

"Dr. Anders Tegnell, chief epidemiologist of the Public Health Agency of Sweden, skewered lockdowns, border closures and school shutdowns for having no scientific basis whatsoever."

Someone needs to google epidemiologists

"Dr. Anders Tegnell, chief epidemiologist of the Public Health Agency of Sweden, skewered lockdowns, border closures and school shutdowns for having no scientific basis whatsoever."

Someone needs to google epidemiologists

I googled it & I'm not understanding you on this one? Your thoughts?

Screenshot_20200514-225012_Chrome.jpg

I googled it & I'm not understanding you on this one? Your thoughts?

View attachment 52946
I think the good doctor needs to figure out the science of closing schools ect. It's not the first time I have read someone say that this was not science. It seems to be the goto line whenever someone sticks up for him.

He may be popular but compared to his next door countries he doesn't look to smart IMHO. Just look at the data if you get a chance and the deaths per capita and compare it to well an other country with an advanced healthcare system. I'll look for the list. Here is one from May 8.
EXibOF5UEAIaLpZ

Last edited:
Yeah but I don’t think it’s science, it’s morality.

Sweden knows what they are doing they are just fine with more people dying.

Science does not care if we live or die.

As I understand it, Sweden is banking on herd immunity and better health care. It will be two years before we really know. That said, it appears this virus mutates rapidly, throwing herd immunity out the window. Also, the swedish doctor we had as a guest last year suggested the health care system was financially fragile.
I'd opt for caution myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back