Alexandra Morton Speaking... please attend!

On Saturday April 28th, Alex Morton will be addressing the BCWF Annual Convention in Courtenay. Her presentation will be at 10:45 am at the Westerly Hotel on Cliffe Ave .

While she is talking to BCWF club delegates, I cant see that anyone would be turned away if they wanted to hear what the lady has to say. After all, they let the press and politicians into the room too.

Does anyone know if you can buy tickets at the door to the BCWF convention? Thanks.

Thanks for the link. From the Wired Science ref:

"Infected fish are physically stunted, and their muscles are so weakened that they have trouble swimming or even pumping blood. The disease is often fatal, and the original outbreak has been followed by 417 others in Norway and the United Kingdom. Every year there’s more of the disease, and it’s now been seen in wild fish, suggesting that farm escapees are infecting already-dwindling wild stocks."

...but DFO and the industry still lie and deny. What worries me is the 'scientific solution':
“It’s a new virus. (although first identified in 1999 on a Norwegian fish farm.) And with this information now in hand, we can make vaccines,” said Ian Lipkin, director of Columbia University’s Center for Infection and Immunity, a World Health Organization-sponsored disease detective lab
It is unclear to me how this would help our wild stocks.

i LOVE IT!

THe only thing i might suggest is a web address to go to to learn more about it. Maybe Alex's if she is ok with it?

Can you get me some for the lead melt?

I'd be delighted to, Lorne! 50 okay - donated to the cause?
I'll check in with Alex to get approval for a web address - great idea btw. Thanks.

foxsea, great bumper sticker, i love it.
Thanks! It's actually Charlie's slogan, though - catchy. When I hear from Alex and have them made, I'll get a couple to you.

no worries sculpin. the point being there are a few responsible big businesses on this side of the border. whole foods may be another that you canadians might wish to start sending information to as they are also following along the line of marketting sustainable harvest fish. foxsea might just want to send their corporate HQ one of those bumper stickers :)

Salmon sticker rev. 2.jpgOkay - here's the 2nd draft with Alex's approval: Anissa: "Alex says cool. Just make it 3 viruses." View attachment 3637

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay - here's the 2nd draft with Alex's approval: Anissa: "Alex says cool. Just make it 3 viruses." View attachment 3637
The attachment didn't come up!

FYI... The third virus referred is SLV. The only problem there id DFO started studying it, then dropped all their research. I am not sure there is any valid information existing that even confirms it exists?

The attachment didn't come up!

FYI... The third virus referred is SLV. The only problem there id DFO started studying it, then dropped all their research. I am not sure there is any valid information existing that even confirms it exists?

It should come up - try one more time please, Charlie.
Alex suggested 3 viruses...

Dr. Miller replied:

"... be aware, however, that past research on (SLV) salmon leukemia, often termed plasmacytoid leukemia or marine anemia, had not actually identified a specific viral agent associated with this 'syndrome' (not considered a disease until the disease agent is discovered), hence it is very difficult to determine if the as yet unidentified virus associated with salmon leukemia [is] the same as that purported to associate with our genomic signature, but we are working on this."

Cohen testimony - references from Miller’s presentation included:
•there is a “strong linkage” between her genomic and brain tumour data and Plasmacytoid Leukemia which is caused by the Salmon Leukemia Virus (SLV);
•SLV is a “relatively unknown retrovirus associated with mortalities of culture Chinook salmon in fresh and saltwater”;
•SLV “causes severe anaemia (also called Marine anaemia)”;
•“SLV-infected fish are slower growing, poorer feeders, generally less active-but with burst activity, often move lower or higher in the water column, adjust poorly to salinity transfer, may be more temperature sensitive”;
•In 1974 Plasmacytoid Leukemia is discovered in Chinook through histology at Washington State Hatchery;
•in 1988 Plasmacytoid Leukemiais found in “Net Pens in S. BC” and “SLV involvement” is proposed;
•between 1989 to 1992 “SLV spreads to [Chinook] Net Pens in central BC”; and
•there is a large SLV outbreak in 1991 from hatchery stock throughout Vancouver Island, Southern and Northern BC and Yukon.

With the introduction of two more documents, counsel highlighted another example of DFO’s lack of transparency regarding the purported virus:
•a report from a conference held in June of 2008 that includes viral research by Dr. Miller; and
•A March 2011 letter from the Minister of Fisheries and approved by Dr. Richards to Alexandra Morton regarding the purported virus.

http://www.watershed-watch.org/2011/04/salmon-leaks-part-6/

It should come up - try one more time please, Charlie.
Alex suggested 3 viruses...

Dr. Miller replied:

"... be aware, however, that past research on (SLV) salmon leukemia, often termed plasmacytoid leukemia or marine anemia, had not actually identified a specific viral agent associated with this 'syndrome' (not considered a disease until the disease agent is discovered), hence it is very difficult to determine if the as yet unidentified virus associated with salmon leukemia [is] the same as that purported to associate with our genomic signature, but we are working on this."

Cohen testimony - references from Miller’s presentation included:
•there is a “strong linkage” between her genomic and brain tumour data and Plasmacytoid Leukemia which is caused by the Salmon Leukemia Virus (SLV);
•SLV is a “relatively unknown retrovirus associated with mortalities of culture Chinook salmon in fresh and saltwater”;
•SLV “causes severe anaemia (also called Marine anaemia)”;
•“SLV-infected fish are slower growing, poorer feeders, generally less active-but with burst activity, often move lower or higher in the water column, adjust poorly to salinity transfer, may be more temperature sensitive”;
•In 1974 Plasmacytoid Leukemia is discovered in Chinook through histology at Washington State Hatchery;
•in 1988 Plasmacytoid Leukemiais found in “Net Pens in S. BC” and “SLV involvement” is proposed;
•between 1989 to 1992 “SLV spreads to [Chinook] Net Pens in central BC”; and
•there is a large SLV outbreak in 1991 from hatchery stock throughout Vancouver Island, Southern and Northern BC and Yukon.

With the introduction of two more documents, counsel highlighted another example of DFO’s lack of transparency regarding the purported virus:
•a report from a conference held in June of 2008 that includes viral research by Dr. Miller; and
•A March 2011 letter from the Minister of Fisheries and approved by Dr. Richards to Alexandra Morton regarding the purported virus.

http://www.watershed-watch.org/2011/04/salmon-leaks-part-6/

Looks like that third virus, SLV was/is associated with mortality in farmed Chinook. Don't get me wrong, the bumper sticker is a great idea but, it could be called innaccurate until there is some evidence of SLV associated with Farmed Atlantics. Just sayin.

Looks like that third virus, SLV was/is associated with mortality in farmed Chinook. Don't get me wrong, the bumper sticker is a great idea but, it could be called innaccurate until there is some evidence of SLV associated with Farmed Atlantics. Just sayin.

Thanks. You and Charlie bring up valid points and I think the effect is the same whether it's 2 or 3 on the sticker - Alex suggested 3. Should I make it 2?
I'm ordering 250 of the stickers today - free for the asking. Lorne will have them available at the lead-melt fundraiser, as well.
Here's more info on this complex subject:

Salmon Leukemia virus/syndrome (SLV)

In the early 1990s Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) published a series of papers on a disease they named Plasmacytoid Leukemia (PL), reporting it is caused by the Salmon Leukemia virus. This disease was killing up to 100% of the Chinook in salmon farms in Sechelt Inlet, Discovery Pass, and the Broughton Archipelago through the 1990s. The industry switched to Atlantic salmon at this time. While DFO did not complete their research, never actually visualizing the causative agent, they did publish the evidence that it is caused by a virus.

There is NO EVIDENCE that SLV is NOT present in Atlantic salmon feedlots on the migratory routes for wild salmon. The feedlot managers will not release fish for independent testing to anyone - including DFO. WHY? DFO could demand fish be made available for independent testing - they do not. Why?

“Our study showed the presence of a retrovirus in chinook salmon with PL, which we are tentatively calling SLV [Salmon Leukemia Virus]. In addition, our results suggest that SLV is the etiological agent of the disease. ” (Eaton and Kent 1992)

See also: Kent and Dawe 1993. Further evidence for a viral etiology in Plasmacytoid leukemia of chinook salmon Oncorhynchus tshawytscha. DISEASES OF AQUATIC ORGANISMS. 15: 115-121.

Testifying at the Cohen Commission, Dr. Kent withdrew his support his work describing the viral nature of this disease, however there are defined symptoms and so currently this disease has been identified as a “syndrome” (see pg 77, first two paragraphs).

Transmission: Transmission research found 100% of sockeye and chinook challenged with Salmon Leukemia infected tissue homogenates became infected with 100% mortality in the sockeye and very high mortality in the chinook (Kent and Dawe 1990).

Dr. Kristi Miller’s Genomic Lab (Pacific Biological Station, DFO) found genomic evidence that the cells of Fraser salmon including sockeye, coho and Chinook are responding to a retrovirus with signals for Leukemia, tumours and cancer. In particular Miller has found this genomic profile is highly associated with the sockeye dying of pre-spawn mortality. She is hindered in identifying Plasmacytoid Leukemia because the causative agent was not confirmed (at that point in the research). Miller’s work on the Parvovirus in BC salmon may discover salmon leukemia is a parvovirus.

Dr. Gary Marty, the BC fish farm vet who performed the histology on the farm salmon audits 2006-2010, assigned the acronym “ISH” to the diagnostic symptom of Salmon Leukemia (rather than SLV because ISH is a symptom of SLV): “hyperplasia of the interstitial cells of the caudal kidney” (Stephen and Ribble 1997). This acronym appears commonly in Dr. Marty’s records for both Pacific and Atlantic salmon, suggesting the disease is still prevalent in salmon farms today.

“Our results have shown that gross and histopathological information required to diagnose marine anaemia can be reliably observed in a significant proportion of dead fish recovered from seapens” (Stephen and Ribble 1997). Plasmacytoid Leukemia disease is associated with tumours in the optic area of the salmon’s head. Samples were sent to the Registry of Tumours in Lower Animals, Smithsonian Institute, Washington DC (RTLA Accession Nos. 1022 and 1023).

Prevention: Salmon Leukemia is an immune suppressor, the fish dying of secondary pathogens such as Bacterial Kidney Disease and so may be managed on farms with vaccinations of the secondary pathogens. Chinook salmon farms were removed from the Fraser sockeye migration route in mid-2007. The first generation of Fraser sockeye to go to sea without exposure to chinook farms with a history of Salmon Leukemia retuned in 2010 (one of the largest runs in history).

There is NO EVIDENCE that SLV is NOT present in Atlantic salmon feedlots on the migratory routes for wild salmon. The feedlot managers will not release fish for independent testing to anyone - including DFO. WHY?

References:
■Eaton and Kent 1992. A Retrovirus in Chinook Salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) with Plasmacytoid Leukemia and Evidence for the Etiology of the Disease. CANCER RESEARCH, 52: 6496-6500.
■Kent and Dawe 1993. Further evidence for a viral etiology in Plasmacytoid leukemia of chinook salmon Oncorhynchus tshawytscha. DISEASES OF AQUATIC ORGANISMS. 15: 115-121.
■Kent and Dawe 1990. Experimental Transmission of a Plasmacytoid Leukemia of Chinook salmon Oncorhynchus tshawytscha. CANCER RESEARCH (SUPPL) 50: 5679s-5681s.
■Stephen and Ribble. 1997 Mortality surveys as a tool for studying marine anaemia in seapen-reared chinook salmon, Oncorhynchus tshawytscha (Walbaum). Aquaculture Research 28(4): 265-269.

ISAv is the virus that creates the disease called ISA. If you start noticing Canada, DFO, and the fish farm industry are very careful how they use those two terms ISAv virus ISA. ISAv certainly “IS” and has been found in BC for years – how many more tests does one really need? It is the ISA "disease" (without the "v") that has and probably never will be confirmed in BC. If you call it something else and don’t ever have to test for it. You sure in the hell will never find it, without testing for it! Thank you very much Dr. Marty for that one! There are two different strains of ISAv and the origin of the ISAvirus in BC “IS” from Norway.

PLV is the virus which currently is now being linked to the disease HSMI, which "IS KILLING" salmon in Norway. PLV and it appears HSMI have both recently been found in FARMED Atlantic salmon in BC. The origin of this virus is Norway. You can also thank Dr. Marty for not mentioning PLV was found in 75% of the FARMED Atlantic salmon to the Cohen Commision; but, what the hell... it's not killing "his" FARMED salmon!

SLV is the virus and PL is the disease? Notice the question mark. Both have been confirmed in BC and the origin is considered to be Pacific Northwest; however, SLV has NEVER even been isolated in culture. Thank DFO for stopping their research on that one. Do have to wonder their reason, I am sure it had nothing to do with being found in FARMED Chinook? FYI... it was first found to exist in Pacific Chinook in 1984 - not 1974?

Salmon Leukemia Virus and Plasmacytoid Leukemia (PL). The histological presentation of this disease is massive infiltration of visceral organs and retrobulbar tissue of the eye by immature lymphocytes or plasmablasts (white blood cells) (Kent et al. 1990). Fish have an enlarged spleen and kidney. The disease causes severe anemia and is usually lethal. It has been most often seen in pen-reared Chinook salmon in British Columbia Stephen et al. 1996), but has been detected in wild-caught Chinook salmon in the Province and hatchery-reared Chinook salmon in Washington State (Harshbarger 1984; Morrison etal. 1990). Sockeye salmon can be experimentally infected (Newbound and Kent 1991). The cause of PL has been controversial. In the early 1990’s various lines of evidence pointed to a retrovirus as the cause (Kent and Dawe 1993; Eaton et al. 1994a,b), which was named the Salmon Leukemia Virus (SLV). The virus was never isolated in culture. In later years, almost all cases that I reviewed from net pen-reared Chinook salmon were associated with infections of the proliferating cells by Nucleospora salmonis.
http://www.cohencommission.ca/en/pdf/TR/Project1-Report.pdf

If one wants to discuss SLV, PL, or whatever anyone else wants to call it and how it affects our salmon I will gladly contribute what really is actually NOT known about SLV. To include, does it even exist? I once believed SLV was nothing more than a mutated form of ISAv – I no longer believe that. The more I find and learn of SLV, it is a highly contagious, has the "possibility" of it being past back and forth from farmed Atlantic and wild salmon, I would consider it - EXTREME for both COHO and CHINOOK passing those fish farms! FYI... That extreme is actually contrary to a study recently published for the Cohen Commission by Dr Kent where he evaluated SLV as having a “Risk. Low. Not known to naturally occur in sockeye salmon.”

Now with that said… ISA and PRV are both exotic viruses "believed" (not yet proven) imported and brought here by the Norwegian fish farms. Need I say more why those fish farms don't want any testing? NO TEST = NO PROOF!

IMHO… it is better to stick with the twoexotic and suggest even the word “imported” or “exotic” even be included. If you don’t, you may find yourself explaining in court why you have only listed three of the over 3,464 viruses known. Then why you only singled out three of all the other known viruses. Just to name a few of those that I have associated are: Infectious Salmon Anemia or anaemia (ISA); Piscine Reovirus(PRV); Infectious Hematopoietic Necrosis (IHN) virus; Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia (VHS) virus; Infectious Pancreatic Necrosis (IPN) virus; Viral Erythrocytic Necrosis (VEN) virus; Erythrocytic Inclusion Body Sydrome (EIBS) virus

I would suggest sticking with just the two... and also suggest being ready to prove those two.

I would suggest sticking with just the two... and also suggest being ready to prove those two.

Thanks, Charlie - and will do! I would love to see those guys pull this controversy into court - that would be dumb, but they're desperate. Maybe I could demand in court that they prove the viruses do not exist in their fish? Court ordered testing!

Holmes and I are thinking of starting The Raging Rednecks - puttin' up "X-out Atlantic salmon" stickers in random places. Wanna join up? lol

Back