Alexandra Morton Speaking... please attend!

I attended Morton's talk. Less than 50 ppl were there. Of those who were there, most already a "believer". who was not there? Basically all those who benefit from a strong sport fishing industry. B&Bs, hotels, marinas, boat sellers, mechanics, stores, and on and on. Hopefully more will attend today's presentation. What remains clear to me is that Sportfishers need a single credible body to speak for us. I heard that clearly again.

Alex Morton is a marine biologist who has actually backed into this position as a spokesperson for wild salmon.

Without elaborating, the precipitous decline in salmon is clearly associated with the introduction of fish farms.

Economically, if this continues, instead of whale watching boats, operators will visit fish farms. All fishing derbies will be at participating fish farms.

Fish farms are well funded and well organized. In order to impact I believe we must mount effective campaigns. Bring attention to those restaurants serving wild salmon in a very public way. Get some small token for people who buy wild salmon. The focus should be extolling the benefits of wild salmon. Just to name a few ideas.

This fight will not end in my lifetime. But I think the time has come for Sportfishers to step up to the plate.

I

This fight will not end in my lifetime. But I think the time has come for Sportfishers to step up to the plate.

I 100% agree, I regret i could not make the trek from comox to be there, However i will be there when she speaks at the AGM coming up. I cant imagine how frustraiting it is for her.

I have an idea that I would like to run past BB members. Many of us have an "extra" salmon from time to time. In order to preserve natural stocks, why don't we have a section on the BB where ppl who have no ready access to wild salmon and rely on farmed salmon and donate salmon. Kind of like matching done for Christmas hampers. Personally if we donate salmon, DFO cannot do anything. We need positive publicity and that would certainly be a step in the right direction.

Beyond escapees, Atlantic salmon emerge earlier than Pacific Salmon and, as predators, are another threat to natural stocks.

I have an idea that I would like to run past BB members. Many of us have an "extra" salmon from time to time. In order to preserve natural stocks, why don't we have a section on the BB where ppl who have no ready access to wild salmon and rely on farmed salmon and donate salmon. Kind of like matching done for Christmas hampers. Personally if we donate salmon, DFO cannot do anything. We need positive publicity and that would certainly be a step in the right direction.

Why don't you take what you NEED and let some swim through. There isn't enough to go around already.

My object was two fold. First, Sportfishers PR. The second is to try and direct ppl away from farmed salmon towards wild salmon.

Why don't you take what you NEED and let some swim through. There isn't enough to go around already.
I'd say the same about the 18 million pounds of one of the salmons main staple diet (herring) as well that you guys harvest...how about the 46 million pounds of salmon you harvested in 2010 which was mostly exported. Same argument. Sure, DFO lets you, so you do, but maybe you need to step up and say, no, its too much, and we should protect the resource for Canadians, not give it away to the rest of the world.

Oh yeah, I forgot, money talks!

IMHO... I wouldn’t blow that comment off and heed that warning as that is EXACTLY how sport fishermen donating salmon to anyone will be used against you. And, it will come across to the general public that way!

IMHO... I wouldn’t blow that comment off and heed that warning as that is EXACTLY how sport fishermen donating salmon to anyone will be used against you. And, it will come across to the general public that way!

Charlie,
I am not sure it will come across negatively to the general public. Fish from the Sooke halibut derby is regularly donated and that is portrayed positively in the press.
Where the negative comment will come from is the commercial lobby, who will see this as taking fish from them that they could have caught and sold. The"stealing my livelihood" argument.

However, any gesture like that proposed would have to have a strong communications message go out at the same time, about not eating salmon feed lot fish, to be effective. The message could talk about buying wild salmon instead from you local commercial fishers too. That would make some friends!!!...:)

X2. Unfortunately I am old enough to remember the battles with commies for salmon share. Then it was gill netters & seiners. Not so much with trollers.

I think commercial trollers and sports fishers could benefit from a campaign where restaurants and business who sell/serve wild salmon would get an "ethical salmon award". Cheesy but worth a try would be to have "ethical salmon" token award go to the purchaser.

X2. Unfortunately I am old enough to remember the battles with commies for salmon share. Then it was gill netters & seiners. Not so much with trollers.

I think commercial trollers and sports fishers could benefit from a campaign where restaurants and business who sell/serve wild salmon would get an "ethical salmon award". Cheesy but worth a try would be to have "ethical salmon" token award go to the purchaser.

There is very little to no BC salmon served locally.. The bulk of it winds up in places where no one has heard of "BC"

Even more reason to support businesses serving and selling wild salmon. In order to win this battle the public must be onside.

the disease issue in the public food chain is a PR winner. just as ms morton has had doubt cast on her work by the aquaculture industry and just as the climate change scientists have had doubt cast on their work by big gas and oil, you have the opportunity to cast doubt on the quality of the food on the table being provided by aquaculture. doubt in the minds of the general public is a winning PR tool that can, and probably should, be exploited.

and here is the sort of thing that can be successful with an organized approach:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/23/whole-foods-seafood-ban-sustainable-fish_n_1446071.html

you will also note as your read this article that Target has already eliminiated farmed atlantic salmon from their offerings. does the public in BC know about any of this???????

Last edited by a moderator:
the disease issue in the public food chain is a PR winner. ... doubt in the minds of the general public is a winning PR tool that can, and probably should, be exploited. and here is the sort of thing that can be successful with an organized approach: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/23/whole-foods-seafood-ban-sustainable-fish_n_1446071.html
you will also note as your read this article that Target has already eliminiated farmed atlantic salmon from their offerings. does the public in BC know about any of this???????

Now there's a great idea that we can take action on RIGHT NOW! Businesses all understand losing market share - that hits ;em where it hurts. The domestic market may be small but bad news travels fast these days - especially around health, virulent viruses, potential for cross-species mutations and all that scary stuff.

This is a good angle that will concern everyone - not just the immediate stakeholders. Alert the Media! Now we can become the Merchants of Doubt. "Beat them at their own game."

People of British Columbia… take your pick!

Thanks to the Cohen Commission testimonies, it is now very clear letting your family eat ‘farmed’ salmon the choices are eating one with (or exposed and carrying) ISAv an Influenza virus; Or, choosing one with (or exposed and carrying) PRV, a virus in the Herpes family. YOU MAY EVEN GET 2 FOR 1 - BOTH VIRUSES IN THE SAME BITE!

People of British Columbia… BOTH VIRUSES IN THE SAME BITE!

Lovin'it! That's the new slogan for my bumper sticker, Charlie:
Get 2 Viruses in 1 Bite - Eat Farmed Salmon!!!

I'll get 100 printed. If anyone wants one or two just send me a pm and I'll get one to you (free).

On Saturday April 28th, Alex Morton will be addressing the BCWF Annual Convention in Courtenay. Her presentation will be at 10:45 am at the Westerly Hotel on Cliffe Ave .

While she is talking to BCWF club delegates, I cant see that anyone would be turned away if they wanted to hear what the lady has to say. After all, they let the press and politicians into the room too.

Back