Alex: On the Road...

Little Hawk

Hear more from this incredible human-being at the SVI Anglers Coalition Inaugural AGM on Feb 28th @ the Four Points Sheraton, behind Costco in Victoria.

Hello Last week was on a journey through all the towns and reserves of eastern Vancouver Island with hereditary chief and master carver Beau Dick and his family and others. We walked, sang, spoke, were feasted and hosted. The Dick family undertook this tremendous effort because they felt it was the best contribution they could make to wake the people to the crushing omnibus bills being passed by the federal government which take away the rights for Canadians to protect the land, water and air that we and the next generations require to survive. I was asked to join them to be a voice for the salmon.

This was not exactly an Idle No More event, the facebook page is called More then Idle No More, but it did merge with the national movement and I think it is very important to know this is a movement of Canadians interested in a real and healthy future. Most of us realize our children will have to fight hard to survive the cancer-causing toxins we are glazing this planet with, they will struggle with depleted forests that are unable to provide enough oxygen, they won't have clean water, the flow rates of BC's rivers will belong to other countries, the rich, nourishing food provided by salmon will not exist because salmon feedlot viruses will kill the wild and then the feedlot salmon, the land will be shattered and poisoned by fracking I could go on, but it is too sad.

I don't have a million dollar advertising budget, but I do have my legs and voice and so took this opportunity to truly speak to people. I was rewarded meeting so many brilliant, kind people who have taken up the responsibility to stop the madness that has gripped Canada in a fate with no future. These are people without financial resources, native and non-native, young and old.

This journey ended with the ancient, mysterious copper-cutting ceremony. A copper has been broken. We are in uncharted waters, we have to work together to survive. A good future is possible but this small planet we are on is spinning through a deadly universe. This planet is all we have between us and outer space.

If we intend to survive we need our planet alive. Wild salmon feed this place that many of us are standing on. I reach out to all reading this. Let's keep wild salmon alive. We can do this, there are some still here. Unless we respect what they need we will lose a great gift that comes to us every year from the sea. Why would we risk this? Why?

http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/alexandra_morton

Gilakasla,

Thank you,
Alexandra Morton

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm usually in support of her efforts but this rehtoric does nothing for me. There is a level of pragmatism missing - the entire second paragraph is something I would expect an uneducated college student to say when interviewed by channel 5 news.

I donated handsomely to her/our salmon cause. If the cause is to be broadened and diluted as in the wandering 2nd paragraph, I will have to reconsider further donations.

too much knickknick in the 2nd paragraph for sure...

I donated handsomely to her/our salmon cause. If the cause is to be broadened and diluted as in the wandering 2nd paragraph, I will have to reconsider further donations.

I agree that there's some drift - maybe she was tired or having a bad day. Don't forget that she's the one on the front line; in Superstore and Costco collecting samples for virus testing; creating public awareness of the damage fish farms do. Alex is still tireless in fighting for wild salmon and so is the natural friend of all sport fishermen. Forget paragraph 2 and please keep up the good fight and keep on donating.

Would any of us like to have all our musings subject to the kind of scrutiny that Alex is subjected to? I don’t think so.

I am just thankful that there are people like Alex that are prepared to take the abuse that inevitably follows anyone who takes on the powerful who are use to a one sided fight and getting their own way.

Very few are prepared to take on the cost at so many levels that it takes to hold them accountable and speak truth to power (Government).

Most cultures call them heroes.

Would any of us like to have all our musings subject to the kind of scrutiny that Alex is subjected to? I don’t think so.

I am just thankful that there are people like Alex that are prepared to take the abuse that inevitably follows anyone who takes on the powerful who are use to a one sided fight and getting their own way.

Very few are prepared to take on the cost at so many levels that it takes to hold them accountable and speak truth to power (Government).

X2 Rockfish, I agree with you on this!

Its the cost politicians and activists pay.

shopping peacefully.jpg

Alex and friends shopping peacefully at the Duncan Superstore for fish samples.
Superstore said this was disruptive and called the cops.

She has been on the front-line of the battle against the salmon-farmers for a dozen years or more and has weathered more shellac, berating & character-assassinations from both government & industry than most any of us will receive in our lifetimes - all in the name of WILD SALMON CONSERVATION!

She carries-on... regardless that you are judging her grammar/composition skills in her field-posts and have, apparently, cited this as justification to stop donating to her (most worthy) cause.

I can say with the utmost degree of certainty that - the vast majority of BC's angling community remains firmly ensconced on Alex's side of the battlefield!

LH If you are referring to me, I could care less about composition or grammar. I am a true fan of her dedication to saving Salmon. I consider her a hero in our effort. I do not however want my donations diluted with a fight against fracking and other tree hugging agendas.

X3 Rockfish. She is a true warrior and hero, I have the utmost respect for her!

Message from Alex today:

Salmon are hatching as I write. As they leave the gravel they are on a mission to find food in the wide ocean and carry it home to the river that gave them life. We exist in the middle of this circle and so we too are fed by salmon, breathing air made by trees fed by salmon. I believe the coast of BC should no longer be used as a dumpsite for Norwegian companies. The government of BC is the landlord to the Norwegian salmon feedlot industry and because their fish are "private" they have broken our food chain. The shock waves of this reach forever into our future. BC has an election coming. The Province of BC must revoke salmon feedlot licences and place a covenant on those sites to allow them to grow wild fish naturally to the benefit of all British Columbians, not just the few people on the payroll of Norwegian corporations and not just the people of today. The industry is weak, most of their sites around Campbell River are empty, Why? Good question. Jobs have been cut, their price of feed it rising, the value of their product falling. Salmon feedlots are not viable, they will never replace the much much bigger wild salmon economy. I call on you to write to your MLAs and all parties and tell them this everyday. I am sure they have have been lobbied hard by the salmon feedlot industry, if your government reps. don't hear from you guess who they will listen to. Feel free to message me. We are still in a democracy - use it.

Not sure what the reference to empty sites around CR is all about - still a number of active farms.

Does anyone have comparison #'s for years past

Here is a link to the active farms from the salmon farmers.
Download the PDF file and as you go through the 6 pages keep an eye on the farm listings on the top left.
Each page represents a different year and the last page is the most current.
IMO Kudoa is the current reason why they are shutting down sites near CR.
There were reports last year of fish heading to the dump.
Don't know if true but scary when you think about it.
http://www.salmonfarmers.org/active-salmon-farm-map-shows-small-footprint

Here is a link to the active farms from the salmon farmers.
Download the PDF file and as you go through the 6 pages keep an eye on the farm listings on the top left.
Each page represents a different year and the last page is the most current.
IMO Kudoa is the current reason why they are shutting down sites near CR.
There were reports last year of fish heading to the dump.
Don't know if true but scary when you think about it.
http://www.salmonfarmers.org/active-salmon-farm-map-shows-small-footprint

do these sick fish go to the dump or to the rendering plant to make more farm fish food? or prawn pellets?

do these sick fish go to the dump or to the rendering plant to make more farm fish food? or prawn pellets?

Used in SeaSoil to I think.

Back