Alex Morton's - Get Out Migration

Little Hawk

A brief note on Saturday's events downtown & at the Legislature.

Same as Highlights, I felt this assembly was far too important to miss; apparently thousands more felt the same.

I showed at Centennial Square at around 3 and the place was packed. Native tribes from all over the Island and mainland were well represented and infused the events with great colour, song & dance.

I stood with my long mooching rod in hand - with a couple of flashers attached to the end twirling in the wind - amongst a sea of people, young & old of many races carrying signs with anti-fishfarming slogans and effigies of eagles, bears, and salmon all assembled for a common purpose - to tell Ottawa how important Pacific salmon are to all of us.

Then the procession moved down Government St to the Legislature where there were already assembled sever hundred including the entire front stairs occupied by a choir of young and old singing and clapping on the arrival of the procession.

What a spectacular event! Key note speakers from the Native community and others led up to Alex's final address which brought a thunderous applause from the thousands before her.

I seized one brief opportunity to speak with her and tell her - on behalf of the South Island sportfishing community - that she has our full support in this war to get Gail Shea out of office and the salmon farmers out of our water.

Kudo's to those who showed!

My next effort will be to write my MP and Ottawa urging them to pass Bill-502 and get the God-damned salmon farmers out of our water!

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

Little Hawk.....damn I thought that might have been you standing in front of me. I was about to strike a conversation up with you but I was sunburned and tired from the walk I had that morning. It was also so loud so .......

None the less good to see you out!!

Heres my take:

It wasn't one voice . It was thousands and was it ever amazing to see and feel. Wow is all I can say. I would not have missed that for anything. I missed my sisters wedding reception that day. After all was said and done I got a call from her and she expressed a sense of pride for what I chose to do and for the stand I took against the people who govern our country. To my sister I say thanks for understanding my very difficult decision.

The First Nations people were very well represented. I saw nothing but class! It was truly a day that brought all walks of life together. It was clear that this was a moment that was so much more than just about Fish farms . It was about our collective thoughts on how dissapointed we are in how our government is derailing our future.

It's time we all stand together. I had almost hoped that a mass group of sporties was coming around the corner when I saw a boat being trailered. It was not the floatilla I was hopping for but I do know that many of us were there. To you guys thank you for your continued support. If we do not stand together when we have these opportunities we will never make a differance.

I wonder if we could have known how big this turnout was going to be , if maybe it would have made it a little easier for those others to have joined in the fight.

We all put our differances aside. For one day. For one common goal. To save our salmon.

HL

Little Hawk.....damn I thought that might have been you standing in front of me. I was about to strike a conversation up with you but I was sunburned and tired from the walk I had that morning. It was also so loud so .......

None the less good to see you out!!

Heres my take:

It wasn't one voice . It was thousands and was it ever amazing to see and feel. Wow is all I can say. I would not have missed that for anything. I missed my sisters wedding reception that day. After all was said and done I got a call from her and she expressed a sense of pride for what I chose to do and for the stand I took against the people who govern our country. To my sister I say thanks for understanding my very difficult decision.

The First Nations people were very well represented. I saw nothing but class! It was truly a day that brought all walks of life together. It was clear that this was a moment that was so much more than just about Fish farms . It was about our collective thoughts on how dissapointed we are in how our government is derailing our future.

It's time we all stand together. I had almost hoped that a mass group of sporties was coming around the corner when I saw a boat being trailered. It was not the floatilla I was hopping for but I do know that many of us were there. To you guys thank you for your continued support. If we do not stand together when we have these opportunities we will never make a differance.

I wonder if we could have known how big this turnout was going to be , if maybe it would have made it a little easier for those others to have joined in the fight.

We all put our differances aside. For one day. For one common goal. To save our salmon.

HL

Back