Alaskans ?

BCROB

came across these today......
I saw the thread "Vintage Gear" from mid summer about Alaskans and their value but I couldn't open the pics to see if these were the same , anyone familiar with them......both are 5.5''

ddZlglM.jpg

came across these today......
I saw the thread "Vintage Gear" from mid summer about Alaskans and their value but I couldn't open the pics to see if these were the same , anyone familiar with them......both are 5.5''

ddZlglM.jpg
Those look like the couple I have in the basement. They used to be used at Alberni back in the day (many years ago). Supposedly they only worked well in a couple locations in BC so production stopped.
...Rob

Those look like the couple I have in the basement. They used to be used at Alberni back in the day (many years ago). Supposedly they only worked well in a couple locations in BC so production stopped.
...Rob

thanks for the reply Rob !

Those are Alaskan plugs made by Luhr Jensen, The early ones were made in Seattle by the Alaskan tackle company, And had different hook hangers. The early ones came in a cardboard box and the Luhr Jensen ones came in a plastic box.

Those are Alaskan plugs made by Luhr Jensen, The early ones were made in Seattle by the Alaskan tackle company, And had different hook hangers. The early ones came in a cardboard box and the Luhr Jensen ones came in a plastic box.

Thx Paguy, appreciate the feedback , been told the plastic box ones were probably made in Oregon , not sure , mine didn’t come with boxes but I might try and track a couple down...

Last edited:
My couple are definitely Luhr Jensen ones that have the same hook hangers as the ones in the pic. I still have the plastic boxes mine came in. Caught a couple high twenty's springs first light one morning at Kelp Bay Bamfield many years ago on one of them.
...Rob

Thx Paguy, appreciate the feedback , been told the plastic box ones were probably made in Oregon , not sure , mine didn’t come with boxes but I might try and track a couple down...
Luhr Jensen was in Oregon.

My father in law caught a 70 lb chinook on an Alaskan plug in Smiths Inlet back in the 70s. Wish I knew what happened to it..

I heard they were very popular in lake Pend Oreille in Idaho for the big rainbows.

I heard they were very popular in lake Pend Oreille in Idaho for the big rainbows.

That’s good to know , buddy and I were just chatting the other night about heading that way to give Lk Pend a try

That’s good to know , buddy and I were just chatting the other night about heading that way to give Lk Pend a try
Macs squid plugs are a good plug for those fish also, Some of the guides were fishing a custom coho fly.

I friend of mine fished the rainbow derby last month at lk pend, winning rainbow was 22 lbs I believe... They get several over 10 lbs.

Macs squid plugs are a good plug for those fish also, Some of the guides were fishing a custom coho fly.

Ha ! funny you should say that, the goodie box I grabbed the other day with the Alaskans in it (for $10) had 5 or 6 Mac Squids as well as some coho flys !!

Back