AI Salmon Identification

Marley

I had trouble identifying this fish today. It was a big pink according to the fishing bc app. Thoughts on what it was? Threw it back as wasn’t sure.

Attachments

• IMG_0816.png
    IMG_0816.png
    729 KB · Views: 251
My vote is sockeye. Greenish tint and large, gold glassy eye. Definitely not a spring, coho or pink. If it was a chum, should see some bars on the sides if it was starting to colour up like this one.

If you take a look at the gills, sockeye have lots of long, fine gill rakers compared to other species.

My vote is sockeye. Greenish tint and large, gold glassy eye. Definitely not a spring, coho or pink. If it was a chum, should see some bars on the sides if it was starting to colour up like this one.

If you take a look at the gills, sockeye have lots of long, fine gill rakers compared to other species.
Thanks for the tip on the Sockeye gill rakers. Telling the difference between a small Chum and a larger Sockeye is the one I find the most challenging, especially if the salmon is beside the boat. Pinks, Ho's and Chinook are easy and we see so many more of them than Sockeye and Chum. Usually takes us a little more time on the Sockeye and Chum.

Last edited:
Chrome starts with a C. If it has Chrome in its tail, it's a Chinook, Coho or Chum (which...all start with a C)

No Chrome its a Pink or Sockeye. Pink have large oval spots on the tail, sockeye typically do not (if they do theyre round). Scale size can be used, but you have to have a frame of reference. If you haven't seen a ton of scales with positive ID on their owner, they don't help much.

If you want good ID advice (and not trying to test or mess with people), really need pictures including head and tail.

Chrome starts with a C. If it has Chrome in its tail, it's a Chinook, Coho or Chum (which...all start with a C)

No Chrome its a Pink or Sockeye. Pink have large oval spots on the tail, sockeye typically do not (if they do theyre round). Scale size can be used, but you have to have a frame of reference. If you haven't seen a ton of scales with positive ID on their owner, they don't help much.

If you want good ID advice (and not trying to test or mess with people), really need pictures including head and tail.
Thanks for the advice. Didn’t mean to cover the tail just took a quick pick as we were not sure what the fish was. Didn’t expect to see sockeye at the bell buoy this time of year so wasn’t on our radar. Thought at first it was a huge pink.

Back