Agreed, the thread is just turning into a roast, case closed..

Peahead

I was always told that if you don't have something nice to say .....don't say anything at all .

HOWEVER

In this Post that my title refers to, somone asked what they think of a certain dealership. They felt they had a not so good experience and wanted to ask what others experienced. Others offered up their good and bad experiences at that dealership. I for one am intereseted to learn from others good and bad experiences. Its their opinion and experience so as long as there has been no disrepect/false information I feel the thread was valuable. I don't feel it "crossed the line" and am quite surprised the post was closed, especially when the thread was also involving experiences at service shops in general with both sides offered up.

For future I would not like to have a situation where bad experiences were sensored from this forum. The whole point of a forum is to provide info .....good or bad ... (I thought)

I was always told that if you don't have something nice to say .....don't say anything at all .

HOWEVER

In this Post that my title refers to, somone asked what they think of a certain dealership. They felt they had a not so good experience and wanted to ask what others experienced. Others offered up their good and bad experiences at that dealership. I for one am intereseted to learn from others good and bad experiences. Its their opinion and experience so as long as there has been no disrepect/false information I feel the thread was valuable. I don't feel it "crossed the line" and am quite surprised the post was closed, especially when the thread was also involving experiences at service shops in general with both sides offered up.

For future I would not like to have a situation where bad experiences were sensored from this forum. The whole point of a forum is to provide info .....good or bad ... (I thought)
Agreed peahead, but there is certainly enough opinions within that thread for someone to make an educated guess as to the service levels received and what kind of service one could anticipate. Nothing wrong with closing that thread at that point in time.

Ripped from ifish

Complaints about products, services or organizations require accountability (your entire real name signed on the post).

It was just turning into a roast..... There were several opinions posted, then it turned into second and third hand roasting.. I can't actually ever think of a thread for a marine place being stared here that DIDN'T go that way, it turns into a hot button issue where eventually someone is being personally attacked...

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe if these places were held accountable and people didn't remove the bad reviews they would actually treat customers better, but if we do them the favor of removing any bad reviews then what is the motivation to change?

I've had horrible experiences and great experiences with sherwood

Any business that has been around that long is going to have people who feel they weren't treated fairly. Especially a business that is dealing with mechanical repairs and selling used outboards and boats. To think everyone over 20 plus years is going to have nothing but rave reviews is unrealistic. There isn't a business out there with that record.

Identify the real name of the post and the boat, and I'll bet the comments would stick. The Anonymous nature of the internet really makes people lash out with what are really undefensible accusations.

You will find this policy no different then any other major forum. If I saw real names, sames, boats, pictures, and the comments seemed to have some merrit, I'll bet they would stay up.

When twinkleyes92_fun@hotmail.com complaining that their 1971 British Seagull still has an intermittent miss and smokes after getting serviced, that would have considerably less weight in my eyes.. Especially with a post count of less then 50.

There have been reports against certain marine outfits posted on here that have stayed up. And every report was by a member who has their business name at the end of the post, and who has not made it a secret of who they are. People will probably also notice that there is somewhat more lattitude given to what is left up based on the quality of the users previous posts but most importantly the user in question has made it a public announcement of who they are by listing their business name, their name, and maybe even a picture of their boat on every post I have not taken down every post that has had a request to come down.

Any further clarifications can PM me, or hey, drop me a line on my website... Or call me...

Hope this clears it up..

imho a forum is a collaboration of sorts between posters and said forum owners, in most cases a forum is created to make money, if you look at the successful forums you’ll find most savvy forum owners will include a review section.
The marine industry is a multi-billion dollar business; each year dealers, exhibitors and fishing magazine publishers head to the various boat shows to sell their wares. Buyers come to these shows buy, as witnessed by recent boat show threads on this forum many of our posters old/new are looking to buy new boats, it would be advantageous for all parties to benefit from posters reviews, good or bad.

Is there such thing as a " tripadvisor" type site for businesses? It would be a great place to link threads like this. Tripadvisor gives the business being rated a chance to address all ratings, comments and roasts personally.

I guess you could not allow people to ask opinions of businesses if you don't want any negative feedback.

Some people have legitimate complaints about businesses, others, perhaps not so much.
I like to do my complaining here, [B]http://vi.bbb.org/[/B]. It's worked (3 out of 4 times) for me.
I also check out businesss here before I make any large or possibly contentious purchases.

F D

ps This is funny. As I'm typing this, a TV ad just came on, stating they were BBB A+ rated.

Is there such thing as a " tripadvisor" type site for businesses? It would be a great place to link threads like this. Tripadvisor gives the business being rated a chance to address all ratings, comments and roasts personally.

Yes CR you took the bait...you can bet your bottom dollar on trip advisor, having implemented the business review process several years back;as a matter of fact posters are continuously reminded by forum spam to write new reviews.

If I was a business owner, I would welcome feedback, but that feedback needs to be discussed between the owner of the business and the customer, not hashed out on a forum where people and their complaints can't be verified. But shouldn't the onus be on the business to follow up?

Somebody asked for feedback on the company and many of us provided it. Its called a "forum" for that reason. You need to be able to sift through the information and make your own decisions. As long as we each respond honestly and responsible, then I say let people ask and let people respond.....

Just out of curosity, I looked up Sherwood Marine on the bbb link above. They have an A+ rating on BBB and no complaints have ever been logged. I am not here to defend them, just wanted to see how they stacked up in the bbb directory. I also have never had any dealings with them and don't know any of the owners or anyone that is in any way affililated with them.

Just out of curosity, I looked up Sherwood Marine on the bbb link above. They have an A+ rating on BBB and no complaints have ever been logged. I am not here to defend them, just wanted to see how they stacked up in the bbb directory. I also have never had any dealings with them and don't know any of the owners or anyone that is in any way affililated with them.

Thats great to hear and I was curious as well however to bring us back to the point of my post ..... to state how I felt about allowing members the freedom to answer the original thread's question and allowing members to express their experiences and opinion .

Members here on the forum offering their opinion on a customer service question that was asked does not mean that they would have ( or should have)contacted BBB and lodged a complaint about the company .

Somebody asked for feedback on the company and many of us provided it. Its called a "forum" for that reason. You need to be able to sift through the information and make your own decisions. As long as we each respond honestly and responsible, then I say let people ask and let people respond.....

Bang on - I suppose LC may have felt the thread was getting close to irresponsible ? .... I didn't see it that way. The suggestion by one that stated when you offer a statement that is not a good experience you should have to state your full name ..... whats with that ? ....this is a forum with opinions and sharing experiences not a court of law.

I am fine with "I went to Sherwood and blahblah blah" with details, and specifics. Do a search for SushiHunter and how he documented his case agaisnt the place that did teh work on his boat. That is what I call defensible responsible crticisim.

Yes but sushi Jim is a "lawyer" disguised as a fishing guide !! ;)

Back