After fishing

Same as TyeeKing, I take all lures and hooks off the lines on the way back to the ramp and toss into a bucket. When I get home and wash the boat, the lure bucket is filled with hot soapy water and soaked for a while then everything is rinsed and hung to dry. Makes things last a lot longer and I have the chance to inspect all gear and retie the lures later with a fresh knot.

But, I like to play a little especially if I have fish in the boat. Being from the US East Coast, I fished for Striped Bass in the surf and still have a collection of Striper lures. I often tie a striper lure on a rod on the way back to the ramp just for those that cannot resist asking what I caught the Salmon on. I point to the rod with the lure and say nothing.

I will help out the new fishermen a little but I give no details.

This one is a Pencil Popper, made by a friend in Mass. USA that I sent a box full of Pacific Big Leaf Maple for lure making.

9VxIjEY.jpg

The two on the right are vintage "Atom 40's", a popular surf casting lure way back in the 1960's and 1970's. I bought them at Cape Hatteras, North Carolina . Note the amber colored one is a reverse Atom, the leader is tied to the "rear" of the lure and it is fished backwards to the norm. The reverse has two holes, allowing the body to be filled with water to increase casting distance with the Surf Rod. I am thinking of rigging both with single siwash hooks and stashing them in the boat to use for decoy lures as the Pencil Popper is used.

spWTF0Y.jpg

The reel is a Penn Jigmaster 500S. Rod is made from a Lamiglas MB1143F blank, with the tip cut back for an 8 1/2 foot length instead of the regular 9 1/2 feet. I use it for jigging with 6 and 8 ounce jigs. I made it in 1983.

we fish maybe 30 days a year

I always cut and re-tie all leaders every day (hootchies, spoons and bait)

cheap insurance

that, and I already have lots of reasons for losing fish; this ain't one of them..............

I wrap my lures around my flashers and store them in my floorboard gunnels for washing right away.
I don't care if people want to look in my boat and see what I've been successful with - I certainly don't have enough time in my life or think I'm stellar enough to throw on trick lures or garbage to throw people off...

For me, part of the joy of this whole fishing thing is sharing successes. I'm happy to tell any fisherman what worked for me and how I made it work for me, for the most part I'll show them on my gps exactly where I start if I have a "hot" spot. Some of what I don't appreciate is the odd random dude doing a "survey" of my catch or telling me I shouldn't catch so much (always within the limits btw). All in all, if it wasn't for the camaraderie I might as well buy my fish at superstore or some place... save a hell of a lot of money and time.
That being said, all the gear comes off for inspection and cleaning in fresh water. Pretty much the whole boat gets a bath after every outing. I have issues I'm told....

Only reason for removing my gear is to wash and dry to try and preserve it a little longer. If someone wants to know what I'm using, ill be the first one to tell them. Just ask Stizzla.
Confirmed

Back