Ace Brutus Prawn Puller Hands Free Spooler

Finally getting around to installing mine. Got the coiled mounted and in the process of putting it back together. Where does the rubber band go? Inside or outside of the dualer plate. And does it go on before the last bolts or after its all together?

Not sure what to do....

The hands free works great. If you have line joined by knots you will have to stop the puller and hand pull past the knots then start again. Also if you have weights on the line make sure you grab them before they hit the pulley or you may lose it. I had a guy take his eyes of the line for a second just when the trap was coming out of the water and when the snap hit the pulley the trap popped off and we lost it.

I watched the video online and it looks like you end up using a different line routing. How does the line route? does the line ever get caught under the first wrap and wrap the whole drum?

I purchased it and installed the Hands Free unit.. It works great...I just reel the line onto some plastic spools instead of coiling into a bucket. Best thing since sliced bread as they say.

I use 1/4 " led core line to annoy trap raiders. You can pull them but you pay a big price. On the regular puller the downside is you have to keep tension on the line or the ACE will not pull them. Therefor I have been reluctant to install that device. I often go alone so that unit might be a blessing, especially in a wind where I can hold or position the boat while winding. I would love to hear how these are working under various conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't be reluctant...The design of this unit is outstanding. It makes it easier and quicker to pull the traps. It also improves the hauler by allowing you to use smaller diameter lines...Unlike an Ace out of the box. It really surprises me the Ace wouldn't put this unit on every unit they sold. It's a huge improvement.

Hi all,
Just to let you know Island Cat Marine of Nanaimo, signed up L.F.S. Marine in Bellingham, Washington.
L.F.S.to be a dealer and they will be at the Seattle boat show booth #214 East and at Washington`s Sportsman`s show Jan 23-24 booth #964 Expo Hall.
They will be displaying "Hands Free" Dualler Plates at both shows.

Action Video at www.handsfreeprawnpuller.com (patent pending)
Thank you, Mike Mosdell

I use ma Ace to pull my crab traps. They are the heavy commercial ones but not a lot of line. Can the hands free handle weights like that?

Back