A tuna run gone wrong

I have seen this before on these hulls where the entire bracket and transom literally pull away from the hull. I know of 2 locally which have the makings of this issue.

Depending on the year these boats were made for 225 horse 2 strokes or less that's 440-500 pounds each.

I also know of a similar 28 Trophy which developed a 6 foot split midship forward to the bow off Bamfield. He was running full throttle and got it on the trailer by radioing ahead both bilge pumps running flat out. Was a trailered queen too...1997...no bottom paint.

Seems like they come by their nickname honestly!

Bottomliner...thought everyone had heard that one.

Some times you really need to check the nut behind the wheel. Very recently another boat had to be in for a Tuna weigh in . They pounded the poor ships guts out, it was not a Bayliner , it was quite a bit higher end ship than that. I just took a peak at her on the hard the other day. It's a write off in my opinion. It wasn't too long ago we were up in arms ,that how dare DFO set up some sort of standard for sport Tuna fishing. I think the common response was "you can't fix stupid" if someone is going to head out ill equipped, why should the rest of us suffer? Sometimes it's bone head moves that create these situations.

Truth in that too. A local here used to run hard in crap weather...passed me one morning heading to Otter in a stiff westerly bucking up against the ebb. He got ahead a ways then stopped. Turned out he busted the kicker mounting bracket and the kicker went to the bottom. He had to deal with a small fire that started as his power harness was shorting out as they got torn off the kicker too. All caused by junping waves instead of backing off a bit and staying in the water.

Turned out he busted the kicker mounting bracket and the kicker went to the bottom

Lol you can tell the guys that this has happened to in the past as they usually have a safety rope tied to their kickers lol.

You would think that it was a liability on Bayliner's fault in not properly fibreglassing the boat and putting that guy's at risk...

I'm pretty sure Bayliner (or anybody) would recommend that you get your boat surveyed at reasonable intervals. not to mention the fact that he's more than 25 nautical miles offshore which changes everything liability wise (you're pretty much on your own out there)

I find it funny that so many people post about no liability more than 25 miles offshore when I have a letter from my insurance company stating that I’m covered for up to 75 miles.

I find it funny that so many people post about no liability more than 25 miles offshore when I have a letter from my insurance company stating that I’m covered for up to 75 miles.

How is it funny? Your letter is proof that it's a completely different game out there. You'd be surprised how many things in Maritime law reference that boundary.

Was your 75nm add-on underwritten by Lloyd's?

This sure could have been worse....I hope we all take some lessons from this accident , good on the owner to post what happened. I have an Epirb and two working radios, however I will now add a portable VHF to the boat. I have considered a life raft in the past, might be a good time to get one after I show the wife these pictures. Always stay safe
The handheld radios with positioning are the way to go,that way you can give out your coordinates.A ditch bag is a must especially offshore.

Yep, I have a 6 man liferaft as well as survival suits. A liferaft is pretty cheap insurance, but going out with a buddy boat is probably the safest.

Your insurance company may sell you a policy with extra coverage to go further offshore but it means nothing if you are a commercial passenger vessel and haven’t been approved by TC

Last edited:
Your insurance company may sell you a policy with extra coverage to go further offshore but it means nothing if you are a commercial passenger vessel and haven’t been applroved by TC
methinks you hit the nail on the head, profisher. Some charter-operators also "claim" they are a private vessel and only need a pleasure craft operators permit, as well. Get into an accident - and you'll find all this stuff out - including your insurance coverage....

Yep and it doesn’t even need to be an accident. Just scare the crap out of some US visitor and if they find out you shouldn’t be out there they could sue your butt for undue stress and what ever else a lawyer could come up with. Once your insurance company finds out you were not complying with TC regs I think you would be paying to defend yourself.

Your insurance company may sell you a policy with extra coverage to go further offshore but it means nothing if you are a commercial passenger vessel and haven’t been approved by TC

I talked to my insurer about operating my vessel commercially offshore, or sounded extremely complicated and expensive, with a completely different list of equipment, such as a raft, satellite epirb and better communication equipment, and they weren't even sure that TC would approve. I never intended on actually doing it, it was just an interesting question.
Seems like Lloyd's of London will insure anything for the right price

Insurance coverage and TC regulations are 2 entirely different matters. There is no doubt you can purchase a policy to cover you out beyond 25 miles - many of us have it as part of our standard guide policy - not a special add on rider. There is also no doubt that TC will not approve commercial operations out beyond 25 miles also. I agree with other posters that any commercial operator conducting charters beyond 25 miles is taking educated risks.

Similarly, there is nothing that can replace good judgment on the water. I personally believe that these derbies (as currently structured with time limits and large prizes) put participants into a place where good people are tempted to make decisions that their inside voice would advise them against. I sincerely hope the organizers of these events take the time to debrief and learn from these things to re-structure their event rules to guard against "buck fever" their current event rules help create.

...Similarly, there is nothing that can replace good judgment on the water...
x2 searun!....

That's why prep, debrief - and reading the TSB investigations reports can really add to that judgement.

Back