A tuna run gone wrong

This sure could have been worse....I hope we all take some lessons from this accident , good on the owner to post what happened. I have an Epirb and two working radios, however I will now add a portable VHF to the boat. I have considered a life raft in the past, might be a good time to get one after I show the wife these pictures. Always stay safe

What's up with the link??? I was reading the thread and then clicked for another page and now all I get are error messages telling me to sign in.

What's up with the link??? I was reading the thread and then clicked for another page and now all I get are error messages telling me to sign in.

I think you only get so many 'free reads' as general public before you are expected to sign up and sign in.

If you don't want to sign up switch your browser to incognito mode and continue browsing

Scary stuff, but a good reminder for everyone, those boats aren't indestructible. Must have split er open.

18 Pages later.. the fibreglass delaminated and allowed water in as it flexed. The boat was not over powered, nor were the motors heavier than it was spec'd for.

what make was the boat? it's hard to believe that could happen to a grady or a puruit.

A lot of lessons to be learned here and a lot of BS to read though to get the facts. Glad no lives were lost.

Totally agree. Lots of safety learnings there. Most important being to travel together with buddy boats.

One of the things I took away from the explanation from the buddy boat was how one of the passenger's on the sinking boat "dove for the floor of my boat and landed hard!" While the other crew on the sinking boat just stepped aboard the rescuing buddy boat.
I've seen similar things happen before as well where panic can lead to other safety issues, injuries, and even death when they can be avoided if control, calm, and safety are taken when a rescue is happening. Of course that can be hard to do when things are going sideways quickly but it can really help keep from other things compounding the problems if people try to stay as calm as possible.

Shows how really important it is to either have a life raft off shore or buddy boats within radio/cell/sat calling distance of you. Glad everyone ended up safe during this very ****** occurrence.

Validates why Transport Canada has specific requirements for taking the paying public out that far offshore. Charter boats can’t ask for a buddy boat to join them.

might be really advantageous to know what to look for wrt fibreglass delamination for everyone on here who has a fibreglass boat. I would be surprised if the delamination happened suddenly in this case - I bet there were some warning signs for sometime before it happened. Maybe hairline cracks - or something. It would be good to know what to look for. I hope the American equivalent of the TSB does a report up.

Last edited:
Validates why Transport Canada has specific requirements for taking the paying public out that far offshore. Charter boats can’t ask for a buddy boat to join them.

i try and have buddy boats any time offshore. pretty easy tho out of bam /ukee

About 15 years ago this happened to a friend of mine down in Texas. He was over 50 miles offshore in the Gulf of Mexico
Fishing in a Southern Kingfish Association (SKA) Tournament. On the way back to the dock the boat started taking on water. He had to run it up on the launch ramp or it would have sunk. The boat was a Trophy Center consul less than a year old. The boats in the SKA tournaments take a pounding because they often run over 50 miles offshore and must be back to weigh in the same day.
Might be a good idea to check out your Trophy now.
My 2 cents
Stosh

Back