A risk of being a guide.....

There always seems to a company will to underwrite anyone, for the right price

I learned all about that last year when trying to get travel medical insurance with my condition
I’m not sure how far he pursued it. He was pretty rough at the time. Had just had some stints done and the outlook was unknown. His regular provider denied him for sure. Might be for the best as he would have been down there during a Covid. fortunately his health has turned for the much better! He’s back to golfing 3-4 times a week and enjoying his life as he likes.(minus some goodies, like bacon regularly and a few less at happy hour)

I believe Guide Outfitters have to carry a 2 million policy. Surprised fishing guides don’t have similar rules?

Wolf is right-guide insurance is a must have and it is expensive!! On the other hand the insurance would never pay this money grabber-only difference is the insurance company tells him to get lost and the guide is out of it!
Agree with this. Insurance would have denied the claim I believe. Preexisting condition. One thing to have insurance... another to get a pay out.

Unless its changed i believe its $250k per person max compensation under the act for liability. Stupid for the outfit to not have insurance for sure, client should have know about health insurance before traveling too. Theres been many times ive been concerned about the health and mobility of some clients either from talking on the phone or when they show up to the dock. The thing is, how do you say "sorry I dont think you are safe coming out on the water"? Haven't done it yet but there have been times I seriously considered it. The last thing any guide wants is anyone getting injured on their watch.

He might have not been able to get travel insurance. I know my wife’s old man was refused Travel insurance last winter when he wanted to snowbird down in Arizona for the winter. His heart was touch and go and the insurance company considered him to be to much of a liability.

This guy could've been denied coverage and took the risk anyway. Now the guide has to hire a lawyer to do all the digging to find out if that was the case....and what else the customer was up to in the days between the fishing trip and the abdominal pain.

Crappy situation for the guide.
I draft liability waivers for clients. They are difficult and not 'brightline' law.
They will not stop a lawsuit being brought against you, they may protect you depending on the specific facts of the incident.

This guy was a hemophiliac and goes big game sport fishing?
I (sort of) hope this one goes the distance in the courts and we get a binding ruling that you can't be an idiot about your health and sue others due to your stupidity.
Stupidity should hurt.

Unfortunately when you look at some of the cases that are settled in favour of the stupid, you have to wonder. How often do we hear about people coming on a private property uninvited, hurting themselves and suing the owner. I believe in one case the guy was a burglar!
Main takeaway is that if you have insurance, you’re not paying lawyers to fight the case for you, the insurance company is. For the average small business, you might eventually win, but by the time you do you're broke.

Funny how everyone is assuming this guy hurt himself when he was out with the gude. How do we know he did not do something to himself after or before?

Funny how everyone is assuming this guy hurt himself when he was out with the gude. How do we know he did not do something to himself after or before?

That's what I was getting at when I said the guide has to hire a lawyer to find out what the injured guy was doing in the days after the fishing trip. The article says that it was 3 days later he had abdominal pain. You gotta wonder what else the injured guy was up to?

From FWR

Ok, I’m about to get on the plane so I can only post something up briefly. I chatted with Lang about it and the insurance was certainly a mistake as he was transitioning from one policy to another one, and there ended up being a gap when this occurred. The court case was lost and the client has decided to go to the media to tell his story.

From FWR

Ok, I’m about to get on the plane so I can only post something up briefly. I chatted with Lang about it and the insurance was certainly a mistake as he was transitioning from one policy to another one, and there ended up being a gap when this occurred. The court case was lost and the client has decided to go to the media to tell his story.

Are you saying it already went to court? Wouldn’t surprise me that the reporter had it wrong.

Yeah, you need the names to do the search but I’ll take your word for it.

the names are provided in the article

u can use Steve Thorne

looks like it was filed back in March so maybe what fishing with rod said is correct that he lost.

Yeah, how would the guide know?
Are you saying it already went to court? Wouldn’t surprise me that the reporter had it wrong.
There's a phenomenon known as Gell-Mann amnesia which describes the reporter problem perfectly:

“Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray’s case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the “wet streets cause rain” stories. Paper’s full of them.

In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.”
Michael Crichton (1942-2008)

the names are provided in the article

u can use Steve Thorne

looks like it was filed back in March so maybe what fishing with rod said is correct that he lost.

I just searched. You can also use file number 203070, but the website is asking for $6 and I'm not that interested to pay it.

Back