A reminder that winter comming.

Your trailer is not considered a motor vehicle and does not require winter tyres. You may have to carry chains and the cable type are acceptable.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwib-tmK3bLPAhUY4GMKHUXAD9YQFggkMAE&url=https://news.gov.bc.ca/stories/a-reminder-that-winter-tire-rules-kick-in-october-1&usg=AFQjCNEz_a6VQOnaBLvtDB6a_p8g_LYCIg.I have seen new signs on the highways.They cover up the old Mud and Snow requirements and replace with a mountain snowflake .I have found very few tires that meet the new requirements and the ones that work well on ice often don't work well in snow and mud. I have not found a ST special trailer tire that meets the new reqirements for winter.
Blizzaks are a good all around good winter tire

I have gone to many tire shops ,and have heard differant reports as to what is now required on highways in the way of tyers .Some have said mud and snow tyers do not qualify and to travel the highways implimented 2014 and enforced 2016 you need the mountain snowflake symbol on the sidewall.I do agree that differant tire composits and tread patterns make for a better tire that you my not find in a M/S tire .With what i have learned, why not a mountain snowflake ST tire option that could be run all year?The signs on the roads says mountain snowflake symbol for my vehicle type.Without following the road signs you may not have insurance coverage .I wouldn't want mom to have to fit chains ,nor would i want mom to have her vehicle fitted with a improper M/S tire .P/S when you do your seasonal change over on your high pressure tyers ,ask your attendant for correct valve stems ,you will be surprized by the reply.

Bridgestone Blizzaks are on my list .Found them for 700$ installed ,all in .At 100$ 2x a year for seasonal change over ,tyers could be run all year at 30k km per year for three years before a new set were to be purchased.

That's a good point to remove them for the summer, they don't last to long as I found out. There are tires rated for winter that can be run year round, my wife has a set on her car we've been running for three year and put about 35k on them and will get one more season out of them.

I used to do the winter summer thing. I dont do it anymore it is too expensive I find. I run BF Goodrich tires all year, and I live up the back roads/mountains. There are awesome in the winter, but I also have 4 wheel drive on both vehicles and they are truck and suv. When snow falls where we are most of the time it is unplowed if its snows so we have to have 4 wheel drive.

Nokian from Kal Tire makes an all weather tire, not all season, good for 4 seasons and has the mountain snowflake. Pricey though. M+S rating meets compliance for mountain passes but winter tires are still the safest.

Does carrying chains over ride this reg?
The way it is written it sounds like winter or m/s tires for passenger vehicles and carry chains for commercial.

Last edited:
they have rescinded some in that a few years back they said your tire must have the snowflake on them, but after much outrage from people and there may have been a court ruling as well
m+s are now allowed as well

True because a lot of people who are carrying chains just wanting to be in compliance don't know how to put them on and in most cases it might be too late anyways.
Ain't that the truth. My favourite was one time I saw a front wheel drive Honda driving in the snow with chains on the rear tires. Gave me a good chuckle.

I am thankful though they have this rule. They wont let you on Malahat on Vancouver Island if it is snowing. It is an absolute nightmare with some people that try to drive it without proper tires. Especially in Dec-Jan. I think Alberni is the same.

Checked the gov BC website 5 minutes ago.
M+S are still good for winter driving.
M + S might be legally acceptable for winter driving, but I would suggest that under heavy snow conditions, they might not be as good as true snow tires for winter driving.

They recommend All-weather tires so you don't have to change out to winter tires.. All-weather has the snow flake so they are acceptable. Yes traveling the Hat on a daily bases winter tires would be recommended ??

From Kal Tire's website...

"You might be wondering why tires marked M+S (‘mud’ and ‘snow’), also known as all-season tires, don’t have the severe service symbol. That’s because all-season tires are safe for most conditions, but they’re not designed to give grip on ice or in sub-zero weather....In fact, all-season and summer tires become hard at temperatures below 7 C, leaving you with reduced traction and unsafe handling."

I used to do the winter summer thing. I dont do it anymore it is too expensive I find. I run BF Goodrich tires all year, and I live up the back roads/mountains. There are awesome in the winter, but I also have 4 wheel drive on both vehicles and they are truck and suv. When snow falls where we are most of the time it is unplowed if its snows so we have to have 4 wheel drive.

My Dodge diesel is incredibly hard on tires. Bought some Kal tire "all weathers" and got only 16 months out of them. They were rated m/s and had the mountain snow flake symbol. Been running BFG K02s also with mountain/snowflake and what a difference. These are awsome tires. Not cheap at $250 a corner but worth the extra money in extended tread life.

Been running BFG K02s also with mountain/snowflake and what a difference. These are awsome tires. Not cheap at $250 a corner but worth the extra money in extended tread life.

I have the same tires on my F350 7.3 tank. They are wearing really well. im really happy with them. Looking forward to chewing through some snow with them this winter.

Back