A new model of Management Needed

part time

Ever heard the saying .. insanity is the practice of doing the same things over and over and expecting a different result. Well folks, this is exactly the model we have with fisheries management.
So to get people thinking and spark dialogue, I offer a different model
- retain all existing recreational fishing zones as they are today, (region 6, region 1 etc) however treat each zone as a separate and independently managed zone with FULL responsibility for the zones success and viability
- DFO establishes the minimum standards and expectations which zones will be monitored against, but is up to each zone to manage the zone and meet expectations
- as an example, if fishing zone turns does not meet expectation and does not meet it's "green" status or healthy status, then ALL fishing is banned until status returns to green
- the zone establishes a working group of community residents, natives, commercial and recreational fishermen, guides etc, all working together to maintain the status of the fishing zone
- $$ from the federal gov't will only be alloted to the zones to help them if, where, or when required. So there would be NO $$ for a pet project such as the South Resident Killer whales. If needed the $$ would be given to the zone
- if a zone were closed due to less than acceptable results, the zone would recruit people from the zone to help revive the viability of the zone.. so commercial fishermen, natives, guides would have to work together to enhance the fishery ... $$ from the federal gov't would go to these groups and allocated by the zone
- substantially increase the cost of a fishing liscence.. again $$ goes to the zone

So this are just some brief thoughts.. no doubt there will be a lot of naysayers, however as mentioned it's time to build a better mouse trap ...

Would work IF all fish stayed in their "zone" to be managed but they dont.
Example...Fishing in zone 1 can and will affect health of returns in other zones or Countrys

Would work IF all fish stayed in their "zone" to be managed but they dont.
Example...Fishing in zone 1 can and will affect health of returns in other zones or Countrys

Not if you ban ocean fishing

Maybe that what part time is suggesting?

Why would commercial and rec fisheries be involved then?...just shut it all down..

I'd be down for combat fishing on a river system...NOT

Ie..his proposed solutions would not work

You could restrict it to terminal areas and times, Lots of commercial fisheries are already restricted to this.

This Is what is being proposed by ENGO like Watershed watch society and marine conservation caucus. I think Greg Taylor is the main architect around it.

Not that I agree with any of it but the proposals are out there to do it.

Combat fishing in terminal areas for staging fish
Just what the doctor ordered.

More I think about it, the more I like driving my vette

Ever heard the saying .. insanity is the practice of doing the same things over and over and expecting a different result. Well folks, this is exactly the model we have with fisheries management.
- retain all existing recreational fishing zones as they are today, (region 6, region 1 etc) however treat each zone as a separate and independently managed zone with FULL responsibility for the zones success and viability
- DFO establishes the minimum standards and expectations which zones will be monitored against, but is up to each zone to manage the zone and meet expectations
- as an example, if fishing zone turns does not meet expectation and does not meet it's "green" status or healthy status, then ALL fishing is banned until status returns to green
- the zone establishes a working group of community residents, natives, commercial and recreational fishermen, guides etc, all working together to maintain the status of the fishing zone
- $$ from the federal gov't will only be alloted to the zones to help them if, where, or when required. So there would be NO $$ for a pet project such as the South Resident Killer whales. If needed the $$ would be given to the zone
- if a zone were closed due to less than acceptable results, the zone would recruit people from the zone to help revive the viability of the zone.. so commercial fishermen, natives, guides would have to work together to enhance the fishery ... $$ from the federal gov't would go to these groups and allocated by the zone
- substantially increase the cost of a
- substantially increase the cost of a fishing liscence.. again $$ goes to the zone

So this are just some brief thoughts.. no doubt there will be a lot of naysayers, however as mentioned it's time to build a better mouse trap ...
all ideas are good, it’s a start. We are heading down this road anyway. I think saltwater licenses are going to start being sold zone specific anyway. Limiting the number of licenses allotted to each zone is critical for fish management. We also need to cut our annual take down. Sporties from 15 annually down to 10, or less in certain areas. Increase hatchery output. That’s just a math and money issue. Put more cash in and release more juvenile salmon. Contract a dozen fish farms to raise and release wild chinook. Finally! A fish farm we actually like! Local net pen programs. I’ve seen these work with my own eyes. They’re not expensive and they work. Raising chinook and coho in ocean pens then releasing them into the wild. These programs are already working, we need more of them. The final two solutions are tougher. Leave 99% of the salmon alone once they hit the rivers. My goodness they’ve finally reached their spawning waters and we hammer the hell out of them there too! There’s common sense solutions here folks. Finally get rid of the commercial quota system :
https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2016/01/11/Who-Controls-Fisheries/
Hopefully this link works, please check this out, most people don’t have a clue who really controls our fishery. It isn’t us, it’s almost not even Canadians

As half expected, everyone applies their personal biases without much free thinking about what might actually work to restore and preserve the west coast fisheries.
We know that the same old does NOT work, so unless we come up with some new and creative thinking we all may as well pack up the fishing gear and take up lawn bowling

Brutal....

So much going on on this thread I am not sure what you are referring to wen you say “brutal”.

Don’t misunderstand me I am not questioning your opinion. I am just wondering what part you are speaking of . Thanls

As half expected, everyone applies their personal biases without much free thinking about what might actually work to restore and preserve the west coast fisheries.
We know that the same old does NOT work, so unless we come up with some new and creative thinking we all may as well pack up the fishing gear and take up lawn bowling

Because it does not address mix stock or ocean fisheries.

Its tough because of an internal conflict I have saving the fish VS saving my hobby VS supreme court of canada case law. '

Are we accepting that the supreme court of canada case law is the framework that we have to work whiten?

We are going to see some game changer type of changes in the way our fisheries are going to be managed in the months ahead whether DFO agrees or not.. I have proposed for many years that each management area should be managed by the stakeholders in that area. What has been the MO of the DFO in the past is not working and we are about to see some monumental changes to the way our fisheries are being managed in the months ahead.

Back