A new fish farm approved by the B.C. Liberals

If the Province has approved tenure then the DFO must have already granted the license as - unless my wires are crossed - they now have jurisdiction over the Province when it comes to fish-farms. Remember Alex's fight to get the Province out of this game and have control ceded back to the Fed?

Regardless, as usual they are going butt-backwards; we should be reducing this **** - not increasing it!

Anyone know where Fortune Channel is or what Tribe has supposedly approved this latest incursion?

Good post Fox!

Fortune Channel site is located in the Tofino South area in Fortune Channel, west of Meares Island

What are they thinking?

They are not thinking....and they sure weren't listening to/reading the very high majority of letters and comments in opposition to this proposal including many local FN that I have talked to. Sad Sick Sell-Out

A Vancouver Island First Nation is considering a lawsuit to stop a new salmon farm site in Clayoquot Sound.

Federal and provincial approvals given to Mainstream Canada for a new site at Plover Point on Meares Island have also opened up a territorial dispute between Ahousaht First Nation, which is working in partnership with Mainstream, and Tla-o-qui-aht First Nation, which vehemently objects to the farm.

"This is actually a shared area between Ahousaht and Tla-o-qui-aht. There's an overlapping issue," said Tla-o-qui-aht councillor Terry Dorward.

Ahousaht Chief John Frank could not be reached on Tuesday.

An emergency meeting with Ahousaht is planned and Tla-o-qui-aht is "investigating legal options" to stop the Plover Point farm, Dorward said.

"Fish disease outbreaks and pollution could devastate our already stressed salmon runs and shellfish sites near the Plover Point site," he said.

"We will not allow governments and industry to run roughshod over our rights to clean water and sustainable fisheries."

There must be independent studies on infectious diseases before any more fish farms are considered in Clayoquot Sound, he said - "especially in an area that's under dispute."

Earlier this year, Mainstream destroyed all fish at its Millar Channel farm in Clayoquot Sound after confirmation of infectious haematopoetic necrosis virus...

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/busine...wsuit+threat/7408384/story.html#ixzz29fp6iJCb

You know how it works in the real world Lorne-- tell a lie often enough, and the gullible will believe it. The Fish farm advocates are masters at that.

You know how it works in the real world Lorne-- tell a lie often enough, and the gullible will believe it. The Fish farm advocates are masters at that.

Yup they are taking a page out of the SFAB handbook. Twist it up, manipulate the facts and put it out to the public.

I hear there is a 30% increase in farms slated for the east side.

Give your head a shake fisher 69! The net pen fish farms (i.e. lice farms) industry has a long track record of mis-informing or simply refusing to inform the public as to the true nature and negative impacts of this polluting, disease spreading, unsustainable industry. I worked for the govt. and KNOW first hand about how both the Prov. and Fed. govts. help the lice farms in massaging/withholding data from the public, turning blind eyes to problems, and not properly enforcing pollution and disease regulations all in the name of protecting the ecomonic interests of the big corporations behind the lice farms. There is NO comparison to be made with the SFAB! The SFAB is trying to promote and protect a precious natural resource, the lice farms are in the process of destroying it, for short term, foreign owned profit. If you truly care about our coast and wild salmon and all the benefits they bring leave the corrupt lice farm industry behind and join those that are trying to get them to move onto the land. Your conscience will thank you!

The net pen fish farms (i.e. lice farms) industry has a long track record of mis-informing or simply refusing to inform the public as to the true nature and negative impacts of this polluting, disease spreading, unsustainable industry. I worked for the govt. and KNOW first hand about how both the Prov. and Fed. govts. help the lice farms in massaging/withholding data from the public, turning blind eyes to problems, and not properly enforcing pollution and disease regulations all in the name of protecting the ecomonic interests of the big corporations behind the lice farms.

Why don't you expand on that a bit. ie, When and where you worked. Your position. More details.

Otherwise your post seems to have a heightened level of emotions more than anything esle other than the message "don't mess with the holyer than thou SFAB". I too post mostly on personal experience but I certainly am not freeking out about the posts here. I am interested in the details.

I am also interested what has lead fisher 69 to make such comments about the SFAB. This is getting interesting.

Why are you (birdsnest) always trying to find out where people worked and such? I've seen you pose that question a few times. It appears as tho you are trying to figure out what the farm industry is up against.
Nothing interesting happening. The only thing interesting is that you actually have another person on the board now trying to do public relations such as you do, to sway the publics opinion.
I highly doubt you actually fish, or care about wild fish. If you did, you wouldn't work in that industry. You remind me of 'sockeye fry', I think his name was.
Anyways, I , as most, look past your posts, as they are full of crap, just like the ocean floor beneath the farm you work at.

Why are you (birdsnest) always trying to find out where people worked and such?

Just trying to get a better perspective of that persons background, thats all. Nobody is obligated to answer it and not one person has so thats that I guess.

The only thing interesting is that you actually have another person on the board now trying to do public relations such as you do, to sway the publics opinion.

I didn't take that from 69's post. I think he/she could appose fish farms just as much as you do. You may not be interested in the nity grity of other posters here but I am. You have your mind made up and I am ok with that. I do not know how many times individuals here have said they we going to ignore me and yet they keep responding.
I highly doubt you actually fish, or care about wild fish. If you did, you wouldn't work in that industry.

Well your mind is made up and I'm confident that your ideas about me are likely as accurate as your view on fish farms. Nuff said.

Anyways, I , as most, look past your posts, as they are full of crap

And thats fine with me but while I have your attention where do you work? Whats your background on the issue???..lol just kidding.

I am always amazed how individuals here who appose salmon farming in bc always self appoint themselves as speakers for the general public.

I am just one person. I speak for myself.

It appears as tho you are trying to figure out what the farm industry is up against.

I would like to know the background of an individuals perspective if volunteered. Not a spy, no conspiracy theory. Just trying to better understand the issue from as many perspectives as possible in an effort to be further informed. Luckily I am a salmon farmer so I have a real solid hands on perspective about the industry and have seen first hand the variety of misinformation broadcast aggressively over the last 10 years or so. Speaking of LOADS of crap.

Why don't you expand on that a bit. ie, When and where you worked. Your position. More details.

Otherwise your post seems to have a heightened level of emotions more than anything esle other than the message "don't mess with the holyer than thou SFAB". I too post mostly on personal experience but I certainly am not freeking out about the posts here. I am interested in the details.

I am also interested what has lead fisher 69 to make such comments about the SFAB. This is getting interesting.

My position on fish farms is simple. We need the protein they produce, But they need to be placed off the migration routes of wild salmon. preferably on land but I do understand the financial hurdle to do this.

My comment, although inappropriate for the thread, was directed at the misinformation put out to its members by the SFAB and SFI.

My comment, although inappropriate for the thread, was directed at the misinformation put out to its members by the SFAB and SFI.

And perhaps you could care to give us examples ??????? Or is it just the next strategy that you fish farm have dreamed up--- fire off enough cannons into the air and it will confuse the locals??????

Best suggestion from me is that you go back over to FWR where they allow a thick coating of BS from you fish farmers

The only financial hurdle there is is called GREED.

The same could be said for pretty much any segment of fishers. Commies, Seiners, Draggers, gillers, sportys, fly guys, flossers, guides, lodges. History tells us that the common denominator in fish debates is "ME" or "MINE". The unique thing with salmon farms is they are the only group that does not take directly from the salmon stocks like all the rest. So it only seems natural to me for all the rest to gang up on them all the while continuing to take salmon for themselves and blaming salmon farms for the demise of the wild salmon. Taking fish(commies and sporties and natives) has been HANDS DOWN the #1 monitorable and controllable factor. So maybe as a precautionary measure when the fish farms are removed lets stop fishing, all fishing.

It will never happen. why????

Yep.... Super greedy

There are no migration free routs in bc so lets stop using that BS, I mean Buzz word. Same goes with closed containment at this time. It just is not going to happen.

Bring on the scary pics of sea lice....just in time for halloween. lol

I too would like to know whats up with this person and his comment.
Is he warming up for the halibut issues that are coming down the pipe?
Since he has made his feelings known in regards to fish farms why not give us your feelings about halibut.
Could F69 work on a commercial halibut boat and is getting the shakes from not fishing?
Need to do a little trolling so to speak there F69
GLG

Back