A Little Halibut Fight GOPRO

Profish, bring the rigger up. Its not the rigger that they hear its the tight line between you and the fish. Just like a guitar string it has a specific frequency which to them sounds like the "dinner bell". I fish in an area with a lot of moochers, no down riggers, and the seals are on the fish immediately. And its definitely not the reels, a few guys have taken off the clickers.

Another good theory. Don’t think it rules out reel sounds down the line as well. They likely key on many factors. Knowing which are the key factors would help us try to minimize them. Perhaps some experiments are in order such as the one Profisher suggested.

Looks like we have managed to hijack a Halibut thread but then I have seen a seal at Constance with a Halibut in its mouth off a line.

funny how everything in life comes a full circle. 30 odd years ago we were lining up to pay money to attend seminars so that we could watch under water video of chinook salmon striking bait. remember charlie white. he designed and built a water proof box that he mounted a camera in and towed it around at depth on his downrigger.. he sure had some impressive footage. Too bad he didn't stop there before his ultimate lure!!! must say i sure enjoy the new technolgy

Bruce

I fished with Charlie and appeared on one of his shows. His camera and onboard monitor system was awkward to run off the rigger but fun to watch the monitor while the gear fished. He used a full sized camera in a torpedo shaped watertight housing with thick cables running up to the surface back to the monitor. It all put a lot of drag on the rigger which along with the camera's poor picture quality in low light conditions restricted him to shallow depths. The new high performance and tiny sized camera's would have made his job so much easier. He did a great job working with what he had to work with at the time.

It's too bad that you can't view it without being facebook member. Wish someone would upload the vid to something open to the public.

Figured it out, at least for me. I am not on Facebook. I use Google Chrome for a web browser and could not view the video. Just tried it used Internet Explorer and it worked.

Wayne

That Was a Awesome Video! Incredible sound when it was running! I might try that next time I go deep sea....

Back