A Little Halibut Fight GOPRO

Those GoPro vids are incredible, they make for some awesome footage...nicely done!!

Neat to see. Where we're you? Really great to view the moment the bait was taken

Thats incredible work hourston! not many folks out there getting footage like that!!

...thought the gopro was only good to 160ft?

Awesome! How are you attaching the camera to line?

You need to set that up on a downrigger and see if you can get some spring attack shots off the beach. That would be cool :cool:

The latest generation is about $350.00

The latest generation is about $350.00

Yup. Future Shop. Just bought one a month or so ago and plan on using it alot. Hourston sure seems to be the daredevil on the site for the risk of losing the unit factor. Works for him. Works for me!!!

Right on Hourston!
Thanks for sharing the fruit of your ingenuity and hard work.

Now, like the other guy asked you, where, or better yet, what were those corordinates where you hooked that sucka'?

Hey Hourston that was really neat to see AND HEAR. I wonder how far that "line noise" travels and if it has any effect on other species... like , seals?

remember when we were kids tied two tin cans together to make a telephone...same principle im guessing! So long as the line is tight, reception should be good!!! Can't wait to try er at the tuna grounds...

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought one about 2 weeks ago but will use it up on the arch and on a pole for underwater at the surface shots. After watching that clip I'm wondering how much line noise there is on tight downrigger wire as it is being retrieved. It makes more sense that seals are hearing the downriggers being turned on to bring up the weight as a fish is being played. I never believed that they tuned into noise from reels....I always thought it was more likely the reduced exhaust note from a slowed kicker motor. I'm going to try leaving the downrigger alone until after the fish is landed and see if there is any difference.

I never believed that they tuned into noise from reels....I always thought it was more likely the reduced exhaust note from a slowed kicker motor. I'm going to try leaving the downrigger alone until after the fish is landed and see if there is any difference.

Have had some experience with seals recently. They were on the fish in seconds down very deep before the kicker speed was reduced or the rigger brought up. That would suggest they keyed on either the reel clicker, or visual or fish vibration from the struggle. I still think it is reel clicker sound which travels down the line and is a homing beacon guiding the seal right to the fish. Given how well sound travels even other reel sounds may be a factor or even our voices, we are holding the rod.

Downrigger noise happens all the time and is only sometimes related to a fish on and both kicker sound changes and rigger noise would if that is what they key off of only tell them a fish may be on, not where it is. I guess that could get them searching.

They may key off of a combination of factors but I think clicker noise is one of them and a good chance it is the primary one. Some I know turn off the clicker on the reel if they have that option when playing a fish and there are seals around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Profish, bring the rigger up. Its not the rigger that they hear its the tight line between you and the fish. Just like a guitar string it has a specific frequency which to them sounds like the "dinner bell". I fish in an area with a lot of moochers, no down riggers, and the seals are on the fish immediately. And its definitely not the reels, a few guys have taken off the clickers.

Back