70lb Chinooks!!!!

steeliehead

Tasu lodge killed a 70 lb chinook today, Peregrine Lodge released one the other day and another won around that weight released as well at another North Charllotte Lodge. Fishing is also picking up with 15 or more Springs being hooked in a day.

Nice to hear that they are releasing those big fish. Often wondered if I would release one that size oh well if I keep at it maybe time will tell.;)

IMG_0330.jpg

good to hear about tasu, be there on sunday. is this confirmed or?

I'd release a 70#, but mostly beacause I wouldn't want to have to try to net it :)

Oh yes-- must release as everyone KNOWS that those big ones are not good to eat (its a fact-- because its on the web!!, just like I believe everything in the National Post!) :D:D:D:D:D:D

Seriously, there is a better chance of the deep pocket crowd at the lodges in the Charlottes photographing and taping a biggie than the average rec fisherman. A lot of those guys are not trying to offset thier trip to Paradise by racking up the poundage. (now that being said-- I do know of a couple of Charlotte anglers who had to charter a beaver to fly thier catch out)

Its nice to see that some of the monsters made it back to shore...

Oh sure Pippen-- assuming that your buddy does not have excessively deep pockets-- you blew my post to pieces!!!! :D Keep on him for the pics, need to be reminded what a REALLY big chinook looks like!

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

A good buddy of mine caught what is deemed to be north of 70# and possibly the largest every caught out of Langara Island Lodge. He was up there for the week with Brian Burke, Nonis etc.

First time every saltwater fishing....20 minutes in and he spends 30 minutes bringing in a a fish that is north of 70...and he released it. First salmon ever and the guide while going nuts about the size of the fish said he "should" if he wanted to release it. My buddy obliged and is being rewarded with either 50#'s of fish or an engraved MR2 reel.

I have asked his permission and will post up a picture when he sends it to me. He was so clueless he doesn't remember the measurements but as he said...."I don't know...it was 40 some odd inches in girth and 60 some odd inches in length".

I have to say I was impressed for a "newbie" to release his first fish EVER let alone a fish of that size. I certainly don't know if I could. [8D]

Cheers to ya Olly.

Wow,cant wait to see the pics of this hog.
Catch anything?
Yep,a five footer.:D

Wow some hogs to say the least.. Yah that would be a tuff call I don't know if I would bring it in or not. Like I said before a guy is only given so many big fish in a lifetime. Hmmm that would be a tuff one but I have to admit I think it would be comin to shore with me.

IMG_1021-1.jpg

What difference does it make, if the fish is 70# os 6#? End result is exactly the same. One fish removed from the cycle. Sounds like sour grapes to me. I'd of kept it, not many chances in a lifetime for
a fish like that. My point is that if you are going fishing to catch,
keep, and eat salmon, what difference does the size of the fish make?
Furthermore it's my opinion that catch and releaser's do more dammage
than they think. If one really wants to conserve, don't fish. these
are just my opinions.

While there is definately a percentage of mortality to catch and release, it's definitely less than the 100% mortality of the meat fishing crowd. If the fish is played quickly, isn't bleading, and not taken from the water to remove the hooks, it probably stands an excellent chance at survival. I keep some Salmon over the course of the year, it is only a small percentage of the ones I keep though.
Maybe if your granchildren are lucky some of the ones I let go will still be have descendants swimming around to be caught.

Chinooks,in general,don't respond as well to c&r as their counterparts,particularly coho.So,if you've played the big one to the point of being able to lead him head first into the net,bonk him and enjoy!

ST

Lactic acid build up in Chinooks can create C& R rates in excess of 30% mortality. C&R in ocean chinook is probably a situation of good intentions gone awry.

The big guy and squaretailer are both right on the money. Use your common sense when releasing a hog. Compare salmon to people for a minute. A 25lb salmon is like a teenage kid, they will pull out a bunch of line but they will recover fast and come in quicker. A big hog is just like a fat old man, they will sit and sulk, walk you offshore and for the most part inch out line and use their weight so you cannot horse on them. They usually take longer to come in (old man strengh)and take a lot longer to recover. Kill it if it aint gonna live.Release anything upper 40's or bigger if it has a chance. Times have to change. Why are there less hogs caught every year off S Van Isl waters. Good to hear some big ones coming through the Charlottes, last few years have not been as good for hogs. DOES ANYBODY SEE A TREND????

How is evidence gathered for mortality rate, how do they get that %. Tagging fish?,picking up floaters?, or maybe Scuba Steve follows them? Just my 2cents.

I am not an expert, and I am by no means calling anyone a liar. However, I believe studies support a mortality rate more along the lines of 17% for Salmon caught in Saltwater. I am sure that the rate would be much lower if you were selective as to what you released. If you are going to release bleeders,and ehausted fish, just so you can high grade for a bigger fish, obviously the mortality rates would be skewed higher. That sort of catch and release is obviously not healthy for the resource, and is borderline unethical in my opinion.

The mortality rate may be debatable for catch and release. However, there is no arguing it's far less than the 100% rate for bonk and bag.

Bottom line is that the fish stands a much better chance of surviving if you release it that if it got the club over the head. I have been there my self and killed a fist full of monsters but have had the oportunity to release a few over fifty and I have to say that it felt great putting back a hog into the gene pool and keeping a couple 20's that day. Who wants to eact a fillet off of a fifty or sixty anyways? I have seen guest bonk them ask for it head off, truck it back to Texas just to see them the next year telling me how it's freezer burnt and they chucked it in the garbage. Bottom line is there are people who will always kill a big fish just to find out the weight of it. Probally in twenty years we wont have to worry about this topic because fiddy's just won't be out there any more.

ps. if your sole justification for keeping Salmon is to "put meat on the table" then you're a fool. With the price of gas, tackle, ferries, accomodations, boat purchase, motor mainenance etc, etc, etc, the fish you kept is probably the most expensive meal you're going to eat all year.

If you actually consider yourself a sports fisherman, then perhaps it's time to have some regard for the salmons future. The days of bonking everything you catch is going to lead to the Salmons extinction.

Back