5/16 Hollow Braid

Should I use the Hollow Braid Polypropylene for prawning?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

Dustin_77

I have very recently started prawning and I’m wondering if 5/16 hollow braid polypropylene is good rope to use on my pots. I have 100ft of leaded line that I will splice/tie it to.

I am also getting a Scotty puller(2500) and want to know if anyone has tried this type of rope through the Puller.
I currently use 100ft of 5/16 leaded with 300’ of 3 strand poly.

Thanks
Dustin

Last edited:
I would think the drill part would be the part most would not like. What about the guy that stays on the boat for a week trip. Would never have enough batteries and unless he had an inverter, and would not be able to recharge the drill batteries. If the system had a good 12 volt motor along with the replaceable spools of thin line I would then tend to agree and would try the system. Good enough idea, just needs to be tweaked a little I think.

Oly

In answer to the OP, I will continue to use a conventional setup.

The big advantage to conventional lead line is that it sinks (obviously) and I do not need an electric line hauler. Sure, it's nice but in a worst case scenario I can pull the traps by hand or assist my line hauler by hand. I also wonder how many battery operated drills are designed to put out maximum torque for several minutes at a time without overheating. We lift three traps at a time with our Brutus hauler.

After buying the thin line setup and a good cordless drill would you be any money ahead over a more conventional setup?

If you don't want your traps to disappear, use a big scotsman, lots of slack line to allow for tides, don't drop them in heavy current or heavily trafficked areas and stay with them, if necessary.

Then there is the stern tie or anchoring suggestion in the Proline video. One great thing about using poly rope for stern tying is that it is highly visible. Using thin line as a shore line seems irresponsible.

A friend of mine was pulling his prawn pots this spring with flat wire pull tape. It had 1200# breaking strength, 4 lines of 400' easily fit in the bottom of one bucket and he was pulling it with a std. Ace line hauler. Looked like it would have less drag.

5/16” crab rope is by far the most cost effective line that is suitable. Hollow braid poly does not coil for sheet. Flat wire pull line does not hold knots very well and it would catch more cuurrent.

Back