30,000 farm Salmon escape in Cambell River

I'll never understand why the Gov.won't force in-land tank operations. If the market wants the fish that bad, it'll pay for the additional cost. I guess they won't be happy until the fish stocks are completely destroyed.

DW

they could probably charge extra for fish raised on land, not hurting the natural habitat, kinda like organic, maybe when they first started the had to compete price wise but now people are hearing about fish farms and the harm they do and are turning away looking for a more enviromentally friendly way, and these type of consumers are willing to pay, it makes them sleep better i think, no offence to anyone

I find this quite depressing.

Fish farming... Its kind of a self fulfilling prophecy... The more its allowed, the more wild stock it ruins. In the end its creates more demand for the farmed product, and so on...

Like liquor and gas, the farmed product should be taxed like crazy and that revenue should be given back to the hatchery programs...
Maybe that would help even things out.

Since when does the tax money go back into what it was originally planned for? Gotta love the bottom less pit of General Revenue. I sure feel comforted knowing that all of the gas tax through the years has gone into improving our lovely transit and highway sytem. The only time we get any improvements is from EXPO or the Olympics. i wonder how many more years we'll have to wait after it's gone.

DW

Here we go again, what a joke the BC Government is !!! This is just another DIRECT threat to our wild stocks. Hey, I wonder what the U.S. Government might say. Gordon Campbell claims to be committed to GO GREEN !.
Well Gordon stand up and be heard !!! Make fish farms land based. They are destroying every
thing around them. From Prawners not able to catch a prawn within 2 mile of a farm, to sea beds ruined, to sea lice. Now a direct competitor, a killer, an Atlantic Salmon!! Thousands of Farmed Atlantics !!! loose again.
This government and country need to give its head a big shake. Your spoiling a good thing!!

i know someone who works at that farm.
he is a employee that makes $12 hour to maintain the pens, feels they have the right to do as little as possible because they are there for a week, work hard, and have to take orders from higher ups who dont give a crap about them having proper gear, supplies, tools etc.. and of course bad wages.. i think there is alot more to the story. this employee feels bad about the disaster but is happy the employer is in the hot seat. he hopes something will be done to improve conditions as well.
please mr campbell do the right thing now!

Personally, I'm locking my door tonight, with all those KILLERS loose. OMG, such overreaction. Yes they shouldn't have been allowed to escape, Maribne Harvest doesn't weant them to escape either, and some one's balls will be lopped off for this internal to the company. That's alot of money to allow to swim away.

Will they cause the demise of wild salmon? NO, never have never will. Atlantics are the wimps of the salmon world, out competed by every other species of salmon and trout even in their home ramges. I would bet that moose of those fish are seal poop by now. The rest will wander around until they starve to death cause no one's coming to feed them.

As for the $12 an hour earner, he should seek another occupation. His mind set is not wanted in the fish farm industry. He should do MH a favour and quit. BTW the average wage on farms is $16 - 20 per hour with full benefits.

Sockeyefry, you know as well as I do that these kind of events can't happen. If farmers want to farm in non native waters they had better be 100% sure that none will escape. 30,000 is not a small amount.

Drad,

Yes you are right, anything man does there is an element of risk. Sort of like train cars can never fall into rivers near Lytton and poison the fish in the river. Come to think about it if we extend the logic of the people on this site to that event, we should be banning trains as well. However, I don't see alot of this type of post. Funny cause this is the third such event in the last 2 years on the very same piece of track.

I am not saying this to diminish the fish escape, but its impact on wild salmon is far less than that train derailment.

Sockeyefry. I agree that trains are a risk to. When the Cheekamus got ****ed, I went insane. I think anybody that does anything to cause great damage to wildlife in BC should be liable. Train, automobile, poor farming tactics, poor logging methods. Everyone should be accountable. We are playing with fire. A couple weeks a go in my home town a blacktop company was pumping water and silt into storm drain that led into stream. There were told to stop, didn't. This caused the early release of 70 000 fry because they were dying of lack of oxygen. The culprits for this should be in deep **** with huge fines. We have to turn around conditions for wildlife in BC in general. As of right now it doesn't seem like many people give a ****.

This is bugging me salmon return to there native rivers that they were born in, from egg to fry to smolt the genetic code is embeded into there system to return to there home river system. Its a natural phenomenon. So if farmed alantic salmon, who were raised in a on ground facitlty then transported by boat to farmed pen, escape how could they go to a river? there not gentically able to am I right? Souldnt they just swim around in the ocean untill they die?

Plus if they do get into a river and happen to spawn they can only spawn with other Atlantic Salmon so how does this effect the Pacific wild salmon? Isnt it just more fish in the ecosystem to be used by bears, seals, whales etc..
My feelings on this whole matter is a farmed salmon that gets eaten is a wild salmon that is saved
all we have to do is move the farmed fish to a contained pen where the sea lice, and exreted waste can me removed from the water.

That is a good question. On the ground facility that they were raised at where did the water come from was it froma certian river? If so how far away was the net pen from the river that the water was taken from to raise them. If they dont find a river to spawn in yes they will die but how many fry will 30,000 14 to 15 lb alantics eat before they die. And if they get into the river how many pacific salmon will they displace when it comes to spawning. How may alantic fry will be compeating for nutrients in the river after they hatch. Bottom line Pacific Salmon belong in Pacific, Alantic Salmon belong in the Alantic. We dont know the answers to alot of the questions but I am not willing to want to find out at the expence of our wild Pacific salmon populations.

If that Atlantic does get eaten by a bear or sea Lion (Awsome)
if the Alantic hasnt eaten 15 to 100 or more pink or chum or coho or chinook fry. If he is getting eaten by a bear he most likely found his river and is headed to spawn or has spawned and how many potential pacifics could have been displaced by that one spawning Alantic. Sadly its not a One for one deal

Picture002-1.jpg

Gimp,

Mostly when they find escaped farmed salmon, they are not found with any prey in their stomachs. Mostly it is bits of wood etc... the theory is that they are so used to the feed pellets, that that is what represents feed to them, hence the bits of wood.

In addition, atlantics are not as easy to sea ranch as pacifics. They have a much lower % of return. There was an experiment in Maine in the 70's where they were able to sea ranch Coho in the atlantic, but were unable to get much of a return from the atlantics. Same thing is happening in the Great Lakes, where there are established populations of Chinook, Coho, and Steelhead, but the Atlantics which were part of the same stocking efforts did not.

I agree that if this accident is found to be due to negligence then the company should pay a heavy fine, and or be made to do some restoration work to compensate.

When people say that ataltic salmon are found in rivers what rivers are they talking about? and do these rivers have a run were they come back or do they go in a river and just die?

quote:Originally posted by gimp

That is a good question. On the ground facility that they were raised at where did the water come from was it froma certian river? If so how far away was the net pen from the river that the water was taken from to raise them. If they dont find a river to spawn in yes they will die but how many fry will 30,000 14 to 15 lb alantics eat before they die. And if they get into the river how many pacific salmon will they displace when it comes to spawning. How may alantic fry will be compeating for nutrients in the river after they hatch. Bottom line Pacific Salmon belong in Pacific, Alantic Salmon belong in the Alantic. We dont know the answers to alot of the questions but I am not willing to want to find out at the expence of our wild Pacific salmon populations.

If that Atlantic does get eaten by a bear or sea Lion (Awsome)
if the Alantic hasnt eaten 15 to 100 or more pink or chum or coho or chinook fry. If he is getting eaten by a bear he most likely found his river and is headed to spawn or has spawned and how many potential pacifics could have been displaced by that one spawning Alantic. Sadly its not a One for one deal

Seeing as our Pacific salmon runs are somewhere around %20 of their historic numbers, if something else can fill the empty room, what is the problem?

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com

Howdy,

Sockeye, your pathetic attempt at passivization and sweeping this incident under the rug has hereby been formally terminated.

Regardless that the sea-lice issue has been the media's 'flavor-of-the-month' for some time now, I have long since been appalled by your industries despicable record of escaping fish. Fishfarms have provided a steady stream of escaping non-indigenous fish into every environment they operate in. Why our government grants your industry impunity from responsibility for this and the tons of pollution you dump into our waters remains a mystery to me.

In the beginning, your industry and our government (those bought-off by your industry) tried to allay the public's and scientific communities fears by telling us the fish wouldn't escape; they did... en-masse.

Then you said, don't worry, they won't survive; they did.
Then you said, don't worry, they can't reproduce - they did! And likely still are.

Back in 1999 or so, Dr. John Volpe (WSA-Committee) while working with a team of scientists doing snorkeling stream-surveys counting juvenile steelhead found viable wild-spawned Atlantic salmon in three separate North Island rivers.

Funding for that survey allowed the team to search less (way less) than 1% of the Islands steelhead habitat. That was nearly 10-years ago. Wonder how many there are now?

L.C., I'm suitably blown-away by your hint that an invasion of Atlantic salmon - with its potential to displace or compete with our beloved Wild Pacific Salmon and Steelhead - might be a good thing.

Standing for Wild Salmon,

Terry Anderson

Wild Salmon Alliance

Sorry Hawk,

Only Volpe has found atlantic juveniles, no one else can find them, even those people who are actually looking for them. This study is often cited by the anti farm lobby, who usually muse aboput how many more there are now, or as you put it:

"That was nearly 10-years ago. Wonder how many there are now?"

Facts are there aren't any, mainly because of the Atlantics low ability to colonize even its home range

Atlantic salmon were purposely stocked in several watersheds on VI, with the expressed goal of creating a self sustaining population, it did not work. I'm talking about millions released over several years, far in excess of the farm escapes.

After 30 years of salmon farming in BC, there is not a singl;e self reproducing population of Atlantic salmon in BC.

These are facts, Hawk, not your conspiracy minded BS

quote:Originally posted by sockeyefry

Gimp,

Mostly when they find escaped farmed salmon, they are not found with any prey in their stomachs. Mostly it is bits of wood etc... the theory is that they are so used to the feed pellets, that that is what represents feed to them, hence the bits of wood.

In addition, atlantics are not as easy to sea ranch as pacifics. They have a much lower % of return. There was an experiment in Maine in the 70's where they were able to sea ranch Coho in the atlantic, but were unable to get much of a return from the atlantics. Same thing is happening in the Great Lakes, where there are established populations of Chinook, Coho, and Steelhead, but the Atlantics which were part of the same stocking efforts did not.

I agree that if this accident is found to be due to negligence then the company should pay a heavy fine, and or be made to do some restoration work to compensate.

And how many have Marine Harvest found of there lost fish. If the fish are biting on lures that mimic bait fish then they are eating smaller fish also. The wood and pellet THEORY is just that and its a junk THEORY in my opinion.

Picture002-1.jpg

Back