3 Letters on Halibut

Sushihunter

http://www.timescolonist.com/opinion/Halibut+season+hurts+communities/5326728/story.html

Halibut season end hurts communities

By Lanny Sawchuk, Times Colonist August 30, 2011

Last week's announcement of a shutdown of recreational halibut fishing is terrible news for coastal communities.

Our company operates businesses on the coast, including sports fishing resorts and marinas. Several will be severely impacted by this closure. Our employees will soon be dealing with guests unable to fulfil their plans to fish halibut, guests who in many cases travelled from great distances, at great expense, to have that experience. We're also dealing with cancellations. We'll be cutting back staffing accordingly, resulting in a ripple effect of lost economic activity for communities.

In difficult economic times, the DFO's policy is completely contradictory to the federal government's attempts to provide economic stimulus.

The recreational sector, based on its contribution to the economy, needs more than 12 per cent of the allowable halibut catch. We are not advocating higher catch limits. We just need a bigger slice of the pie to stay in business.

The commercial sector will also argue that they need to make a living. We agree. Unfortunately, the protection of this halibut quota has meant quota holders are making hundreds of thousands of dollars selling their quota (which was acquired for free) every year. Less than one-third of quota holders actually fish. The DFO is protecting big business and quota traders, not the commercial fishermen.

How could we interpret a perpetuation of the existing allocation policy to be anything other than DFO being influenced more by big business and quota traders than by the economic and social needs of thousands in coastal communities?

As for DFO's "experimental fishery," which is essentially the recreational sector paying big business and quota traders for a right to catch some of their "gifted" halibut quota - surely DFO can't be serious?

Lanny Sawchuk
Chief operations officer Oak Bay Marine Group
© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/Halibut+season+hurts+communities/5326728/story.html#ixzz1WXPVWREN

http://www.canada.com/Halibut+decision+tramples+rights/5325995/story.html

Halibut decision tramples rights
By Larry Peterson, Comox Valley Echo August 30, 2011

I am absolutely stinking mad.

DFO is going to close down recreational halibut fishing as of Sept. 5?

This action is an attack on my rights as a taxpaying, law-abiding Canadian citizen.
Don't feel sorry for me, I have three halibut this year; one in May and two in July. I was hoping to try for a nice fresh one in late September or early October. Now that opportunity will be gone.

We are not talking about my opportunities, we are talking about our rights as Canadians. This is another example of government decisions that are high-handed, political and artificial.

An example of the opposite is that the Puntledge River is likely to remain closed for Chinook and Coho this fall. This is a decision arrived at by DFO in conjunction with Puntledge hatchery staff and your local Sportfishing Advisory Committee. It is based on a biological concern for the welfare of Chinook and Coho spawning populations this particular year.

I belong to eight different Comox Valley organizations concerned with the protection and enhancement of our natural ecosystems and resources. I protect far more than I exploit. I, like you, work hard for my Canadian rights and freedoms and opportunities.

The halibut decision is based on extrapolated numbers, political pressures and artificial, arbitrary and unfair timing.

The overall management of the halibut resource is very well and carefully done, based on sound biological principles and practices. The allocation to the recreational sector is horribly done; it amounts to an economic roadblock and an attack on the Canadian psyche.

So where do we go from here? Protest? Civil disobedience? I don't know, but these are our rights and this halibut decision is wrong.

Larry Peterson
Courtenay
© Copyright (c) Postmedia News

http://www.timescolonist.com/technology/Targeting+fish+threat+halibut/5326730/story.html

Targeting big fish threat to halibut

By Steve Donaldson, Times Colonist August 30, 2011

Re: "Recreational halibut fishery faces earliest ever closure," Aug. 24

The article reports that that scientists are trying to figure out why there are so many small halibut. Could this be because for years everyone, be it a recreational or a commercial fisher, has targeted the big fish? This would over time reduce the percentage of larger fish.

This has another negative side effect. The big fish are mostly females who produce the eggs to keep the species going.

Why not prohibit the taking of the larger fish and offset the loss to the fisher by increasing the catch of smaller fish to two or even three fish? Hopefully, someone will figure out what's needed before its too late.

Steve Donaldson
North Saanich
© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/techno...reat+halibut/5326730/story.html#ixzz1WXPr7uGa

So are you suggesting we throw away our licence and go fishing after the closure for food ?
Do you really think DFO would allow this?
My bet is that you would have your equipment confiscated, and face a big fine.

So are you suggesting we throw away our licence and go fishing after the closure for food ?
Do you really think DFO would allow this?
My bet is that you would have your equipment confiscated, and face a big fine.

It would be interesting to see what kind of reaction 200 "food fishery" fisherman would generate after the closure. The recent statement by DFO that Sports Fishing is a privledge, caused me much angst at first, but now it makes me think about the difference between "Sports Fishing" and feeding my family.
It would be interesting to see what would come of a court challenge in this regard, or if one would even be necessary?

Found this proposal as a possible solution on the internet :

Solution #2
Regulate Sport Fishing and Food Fishing Separately
Food-fishers across Canada are ineffectively governed by regulations that are primarily designed for sport-fishers. Food fishing and sport fishing are distinctly different; particularly when food-fishers operate from human-powered vessels during wilderness expeditions while catching only enough fish for dinner.
Numerous sport fishing lodges exist on the northern regions of the Queen Charlotte Islands. It is certainly not our goal to adversely affect their ability to offer fishing experiences to their clients. (We imagine that lodge owners and staff are thankful that extensive RCAs were not implemented in the heart of their operating area.)
However, regulations designed to govern the mechanized sport-trophy fishing industry do not apply practically to the occasional effort to catch a fish for immediate consumption by a participant on a weeklong eco-tourism trip. These two distinct fishing classifications merit serious consideration, especially when taking into account the numerous different commercial fishing classifications regulated by the DFO.
Under new food-fishing regulations, fishers could be permitted to harvest a small and sustainable quantity of fish for the purpose of eating immediately. New food-fishing regulations could also prohibit the harmful practice of continually catching and releasing fish until enough trophy-sized specimens are obtained. (Many released fish do not survive the incident.)
There?s no doubt that new food-fishing regulations would require public education, yet this could be considered a forward-thinking direction for the Department of Fisheries and Oceans to adopt.

Food fishing, sport fishing - what a load of crap! I fish because I enjoy it and I eat whatever I bring home. What does that make me - a "food fisher" or a "sport fisher"? Solution #2 above just adds another layer of complexity to an already complicated situation. We need to simplify, not complicate the issue even more.

There are hundreds, or thousands, and possibly millions of individuals who will think and say exactly what you just wrote. Yes, you will be charged and yes you will loose your gear and yes, you may also be charged large fines if you are a sport fisher who decides to contravene the Act. By your own admittance you are a sport fisher who holds an annual contract. An annual contract is for one year as signed by the angler on the date of issue. I will no longer be known as a sport fisher, an angler for fun, vanity, entertainment, or contest in 2012. It is more complicated than that of your simple tone, but it is all very obtainable.

Define your actions, learn your rights

Tell us how ? :confused:

I am looking for a long lining boat , anchors up. wanted to buy 1 lb of halibut, as DFO has being ordered by Ottawa not to interfear with sport quota holds, NOT COUNT FISH ? DO NOT BOARD SPORT QUOTA HOLDERS

Do I hear no limits, 2 million pounds left hmmmmm

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked RVP to his face if he was "Bonny". Said he'd never heard of the guy and was surprised that he was being referenced to as he hasn't been on this site in ages. Told me he was going to have look on here just to see what all the hoopla was about.......

Seriously folks, go out and fish halibut anyway. Who gives a crap what DFO says anymore?!?!? Food fish, native allocation, blah blah blah...it's complete horseshit. Time these politicians get a dose of their own hogwash. I'm looking forward to heading out and whacking some big halis in October. Why? BECAUSE IT'S MY GODDAMN RIGHT AS A CANADIAN TO FEED MY FAMILY!

Back