280 Vplvo Penta

ydouask

I have a 1976 20' Double Eagle 305. My tilt mechanism is pooched ( seized bearings, worn races , corroded screw set.... . Can anyone tell me where (if?) I can buy a new old lift assembly, used assembly or parts to rebuild this unit? The electric motor is working well... on the bench ! Thanks, Hank.

I was looking at a boat with one of those legs. 2 boats actually. A quick google search had me realizing ALL of them are broken. Guys putting them in reverse without the leg locked down. Leg jumps up, leg falls down = broken.
EBay has parts and rebuild kits. Amazon as well I believe. Go on www.boats.net or a website like that and look up the kit number and copy paste into Ebay. It isn't cheap though from what I could find.

ThreePer

ya I have the exact same boat (1978) , with the original motor and leg ... mine is still working but getting very slow (it seems to work faster when the main motor is at idle which almost makes me wonder if its an electrical supply issue ?). I have done a bit of research and it looked like ebay was the best option as stated above. Good luck ! i'd love to hear how easy the disassembly and assembly is...

I think if anything goes wrong with the motor or leg im going to take the plunge and pod it as I don't think its worth starting to put money into a 40 year old motor and leg... but on the other hand I haven't heard of any outboard lasting that long lol.

Well, there are only two "inset Allen key type bolts " to remove . One of them is in a most awkward, miserable position, and the other makes the first one look like a picnic ! To make a long story short, I used a Dremel Tool and removed several square inches of 3/4" plywood behind the tilt mechanism so that I could get the modified Allen socket into the bolt head, then it was easy. Disassembling the mechanical tilt mechanism is straight forward.... Utube rules !
I have seen a couple of units in the USA, but was hoping to be able to replace or rebuild it with B.C. parts. No luck yet. ydouask.

I've got the same lift mechanism on my 270. Like others have already said e-bay is probably your best bet. I've looked there many a time just to see what they have for when the day comes I need to do something to mine. (Although I do have a spare one kicking around from a mishap many years ago......long story!)

.... some progress is being made. There is an outfit in Europe that makes a replacement unit for the 280 tilt... but , you buy it, it is yours period. there may be wiring complications etc., cost in the $550.00 range. Now , add shipping , handling, brokerage fee...I don't think so.
I did find a used unit at a marine wreckers for the same price. I'll feel better once I get my hands on it and get it back together. Will let you know how it all settles out. Hank.

.... some progress is being made. There is an outfit in Europe that makes a replacement unit for the 280 tilt... but , you buy it, it is yours period. there may be wiring complications etc., cost in the $550.00 range. Now , add shipping , handling, brokerage fee...I don't think so.
I did find a used unit at a marine wreckers for the same price. I'll feel better once I get my hands on it and get it back together. Will let you know how it all settles out. Hank.

Keep an eye out for used legs. I sold my 280 with working power trim for 500 awhile back.

Back