Report of a herring spawn off Fort Rodd Hill.
Anyone confirm this?
Screenshot_20240318_160244_Facebook.jpg

Got out fishing with a friend today out Oak Bay.

Started at 8 and until 10 the tide flow was way to fast and we never got a bite of anything. 10 to 12, hooked into 12 big big dog fish which screwed 8 leaders. 1215 got a 90 cm halibut and then at 1 we got another big one, 123 cm at 50lb. All halibut caught on skirts with salmon belly.

There is sure a lot of difference in weight VS length on these larger fish
Last Thursday 123cm 57.5 lb.
Monday 124 cm 56lb
Today 123 cm 50lb.

Attachments

• 123 cm hali 50lb March 19.jpg
    123 cm hali 50lb March 19.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 90 cm 123 cm hali March 19.jpg
    90 cm 123 cm hali March 19.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 106

Started at 8 and until 10 the tide flow was way to fast and we never got a bite of anything. 10 to 12, hooked into 12 big big dog fish which screwed 8 leaders. 1215 got a 90 cm halibut and then at 1 we got another big one, 123 cm at 50lb. All halibut caught on skirts with salmon belly.

Monday 124 cm 56lb
Today 123 cm 50lb.
That’s interesting Doug
I have found just the opposite so far . We had a 126 on Sunday that weighed 47lbs and today another 126 at 55lbs. Definitely a wide variety of sizes.

That’s interesting Doug
I have found just the opposite so far . We had a 126 on Sunday that weighed 47lbs and today another 126 at 55lbs. Definitely a wide variety of sizes.
Tigerprawn, those two fish you got are just about 9% difference in weight and both the same size. I guess skinny and fat fish.
What is the largest halibut on the leader board at Pedder Bay?

A friend who also fished in Oak Bay on Sunday said he had none stop action and had 8 on in 6 hours and kept a couple of 40lb+ and another fish. he said the tide flow was perfect and the other boats beside him were also hooking up.

With Tigerprawn and other I know having good success fishing in Sooke, the mud hole and Oak Bay, the halibut have moved in and it is a good time to get out there and try your luck, when the tide flow slows down again. From what I have heard halibut are being caught on all types of bait.

Monday 124 cm 56lb
Today 123 cm 50lb.
I was out there as well just outside the shipping lanes and only managed a few dogfish. Was surprised at how fast the current was in the morning and we pretty much couldn’t get to bottom until later in the morning. Ended up snagging on bottom a couple of times, but no halibut luck. I find judging the currents is difficult in that area with back eddies etc.

I agree, the tide flow was fast and our 2 lb balls were fishing 2 miles behind us and most of the time not on bottom. Not even the dog fish could swim in it. Then it slowed down by 10
In the Oak Bay area you have to watch your sonar and see the bottom texture because there are some nasty jagged rock areas that make the water do strange things. I did see a (white Champion?) boat anchored in the rock pile area on the far side of shipping lanes but being a few miles away from us it was hard to tell. Inside the shipping lane is much more gravely and not as much current too.
Just got to find a gravel bottom area and anchor on it with your gear bouncing gravel.

I agree, the tide flow was fast and our 2 lb balls were fishing 2 miles behind us and most of the time not on bottom. Not even the dog fish could swim in it. Then it slowed down by 10
In the Oak Bay area you have to watch your sonar and see the bottom texture because there are some nasty jagged rock areas that make the water do strange things. I did see a (white Champion?) boat anchored in the rock pile area on the far side of shipping lanes but being a few miles away from us it was hard to tell. Inside the shipping lane is much more gravely and not as much current too.
Just got to find a gravel bottom area and anchor on it with your gear bouncing gravel.
Yeah, that was us. I looked at going on the inside of the lanes but it looked pretty shallow. I can see where you’d be in the lee of the current.

Any of these Hali areas fishable with a 15.5 hurston? Any suggestions on area to target? Thanks
As long as you do your preparation ahead of your trip. look at all factors like wind and current. Have a plan if something goes wrong so safety is key.

Obviously the bigger the boat, the more stable it is in choppy days but on a nice calm day, any boat is good enough to get out there and fish. I always tell people that if you're wondering if it's a good time to anchor, look around and see if others are anchored. it's a good indication.

Very large school of Herring off of Ten Mile Point today. Half a dozen large boiling schools went through.
The Eagles and the Sea lions were having a lot of fun. I snagged a herring about 18" long today.

Very large school of Herring off of Ten Mile Point today. Half a dozen large boiling schools went through.
The Eagles and the Sea lions were having a lot of fun. I snagged a herring about 18" long today.
Very interesting.
Heading North or West? On the flood or ebb?

Very interesting.
Heading North or West? On the flood or ebb?
Looked like they started to show a little yesterday on the flood. Didn't last long. Today was a totally different story. The flood swept them in
and then they started to break up. They stuck around in the bay to the left of ten mile and out front for about 1 hr. Half of them headed north and the other half headed east as the tide changed.

Probably a noob question but what the heck…. When the current is flowing like that, could you use your riggers to get down on a better angle, clip a couple feet above the ball? Anyone do this ever? Or does the current flow affect the Hali enough that it’s not worth it anyways.

On a related note, also a noob mistake I planned my Hali trip for Mon-Wed next week which I’m now realizing ain’t the best current flows for it. If the winds let me get out, will I just be catching a buzz or do I have a chance? 🤷‍♂️

Cheers to this thread for the historical info, I feel ready to go. And all the recent pics getting my hopes up.

Last edited:
Probably a noob question but what the heck…. When the current is flowing like that, could you use your riggers to get down on a better angle, clip a couple feet above the ball? Anyone do this ever? Or does the current flow affect the Hali enough that it’s not worth it anyways.

On a related note, also a noob mistake I planned my Hali trip for Mon-Wed next week which I’m now realizing ain’t the best current flows for it. If the winds let me get out, will I just be catching a buzz or do I have a chance? 🤷‍♂️

Cheers to this thread for the historical info, I feel ready to go. And all the recent pics getting my hopes up.
I've used the downriggers at Constance bank while the water is flowing fast and it works well. You can also hook your bait sent bag to the DR and then let about 10 ft of halibut line out from the pinch clip. But I only use the DR in less than 200 ft of water.

Quick fish late morning out of Flemming beach for salmon. Such a difference from yesterdays monsoon. Trolled out towards and past the anchored freighter and just past got a powerful strike. Great scrap out of a 77cm clipped chinook. Bonk! I'm not throwing groceries away. Last line on my dance card.
Enjoyed the cruise back in. Cleaned the fish and tucked it into the bow area of the boat. Through a jacket over it, an anchor and chain and went to get the trailer walking my old dog. Felt like a nice little excursion. . . . . . and then came along the little thief. Can be viewed at 12:29 on the Esquimalt webcam. Strong little buggers.

Quick fish late morning out of Flemming beach for salmon. Such a difference from yesterdays monsoon. Trolled out towards and past the anchored freighter and just past got a powerful strike. Great scrap out of a 77cm clipped chinook. Bonk! I'm not throwing groceries away. Last line on my dance card.
Enjoyed the cruise back in. Cleaned the fish and tucked it into the bow area of the boat. Through a jacket over it, an anchor and chain and went to get the trailer walking my old dog. Felt like a nice little excursion. . . . . . and then came along the little thief. Can be viewed at 12:29 on the Esquimalt webcam. Strong little buggers.
Damm it.

That was entertaining viewing on the webcam. Little *******.

Back