We caught four fish in the first hour on Thursday, only one of them a barker ., unreal
Awesome. Following this thread closely and living vicariously until late March, coming for a couple days to try and get my first Hali… I think I got ‘er mostly figured but if anyone wants to DM me their honey hole, I’ll listen 😂

Wonder how the MSF program will look this spring?
First hint of any larger Canadian fish around and:

FN0141-Recreational - Salmon - Chinook - Portions of Areas 19 and 20 - Chinook Management Measures - Effective March 1, 2024

Effective 00:01 hours March 1, 2024, until 23:59 hours March 31, 2024, the daily limit for Chinook is two (2) per day, hatchery-marked only.

Retention of unmarked Chinook is not permitted.

These measures apply in the following waters:

Subareas 19-1, 19-3, 19-4, and Subareas 20-4 to 20-7 (those waters near Victoria between Cadboro Point and Sombrio Point).

Reminder: The minimum size limit for Chinook in these waters is 45 cm.

Awesome. Following this thread closely and living vicariously until late March, coming for a couple days to try and get my first Hali… I think I got ‘er mostly figured but if anyone wants to DM me their honey hole, I’ll listen 😂
Being a long time time listener, first time caller .. I sure have appreciated this forum and all its contributors!
And after some risk management 🖐️🔨 I can only say this
We launched at esquimalt anglers, we tried a brand new spot out of desperation, caught them 100’ deeper than usual, and the tide was just slowing down to zero
I wish everyone the best of luck!

Being a long time time listener, first time caller .. I sure have appreciated this forum and all its contributors!
And after some risk management 🖐️🔨 I can only say this
We launched at esquimalt anglers, we tried a brand new spot out of desperation, caught them 100’ deeper than usual, and the tide was just slowing down to zero
I wish everyone the best of luck!

100.7 the buzz !!

For years I would start my day with BJ shea and finish with Tom Leykis on the way home or some Phil Hendrie in the eves.

Does anyone know why DFO decided to stop the rention of wild chinook up to 67 cm after March 1? This is the first year this has happened, but nothing is being said about it (?). As I remember, this notice was designed to protect the early run of Fraser River chinook, which were assumed to be over 67 cm.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why DFO decided to stop the rention of wild chinook up to 67 cm after March 1? This is the first year this has happened, but nothing is being said about it (?). As I remember, this notice was to designed to protect the early run of Fraser River chinook, which were assumed to be over 67 cm.
My gut feeling, it's to prepare for the MSF regulation of one hatchery per day which may be implemented in April/May.

Does anyone know why DFO decided to stop the rention of wild chinook up to 67 cm after March 1? This is the first year this has happened, but nothing is being said about it (?). As I remember, this notice was to designed to protect the early run of Fraser River chinook, which were assumed to be over 67 cm.
To see how many hatchery Chinooks are out there

Does anyone know why DFO decided to stop the rention of wild chinook up to 67 cm after March 1? This is the first year this has happened, but nothing is being said about it (?). As I remember, this notice was designed to protect the early run of Fraser River chinook, which were assumed to be over 67 cm.
Nothing is be said because people can not remember the rules from years gone by. I have mentioned this to a few fisherman about the rention of wild springs up to 67 cm and they do not believe me.

My gut feeling, it's to prepare for the MSF regulation of one hatchery per day which may be implemented in April/May.
Which would be better than closing them right down as per the previous few years. Still kind of weird to go to clipped only just for the last month of a license year. I did notice a recent fish of size reported was a 'white' unclipped chinook, suggesting it was from a lower Fraser tributary. Most of my fish this winter have been clipped, suggesting U.S.A. hatchery fish. So perhaps new regs. are an attempt to protect Fraser fish and screw over us guys who deliberately saved space on their license for winter fishing.

My reading of the current Chinook regulations for area 19-3 (Victoria waterfront) is non retention (0/0) of "Wild" Chinook, the "restrictions" are superfluous regarding the 67cm measurement, we are not allowed to retain any "Wilds" at this time.

Nothing is be said because people can not remember the rules from years gone by. I have mentioned this to a few fisherman about the rention of wild springs up to 67 cm and they do not believe me.
I think it was me that you mentioned that slot at the dock and I didn’t remember at that moment but when I got home I looked at some notes from last year and I see where I had noted how stupid it was in Sidney trying to catch that 62-67 slot fish and releasing 5 to find one.

Back